Beyerdynamic T1 vs T90?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Has anyone experience of either/both of these? I am a huge fan of Beyer cans and will probably pair whichever I buy with the A20 amp. I listen to mainly rock/prog and don't like neutral/bright sounding headphones. My others are Denon AH-D7000 and DT990's - I like both of these.

I have read that both the T1 and T90 are excellent and am inclined towards the T1 but only if it's worth the extra over the T90?

Thanks in advance.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
Has anyone experience of either/both of these? I am a huge fan of Beyer cans and will probably pair whichever I buy with the A20 amp. I listen to mainly rock/prog and don't like neutral/bright sounding headphones. My others are Denon AH-D7000 and DT990's - I like both of these.

I have read that both the T1 and T90 are excellent and am inclined towards the T1 but only if it's worth the extra over the T90?

Thanks in advance.

http://dalethorn.com/Photos/Audioforge/Beyer_T1.jpg

http://dalethorn.com/Photos/Audioforge/Beyer_T90.jpg

Those are my curves on the T1 and T90. I find both of them too bright for most pop music. I do believe that under their respective tonalities, the T1 is the superior machine with more clarity. However, tonality is an issue - if you check the critique one expert user offered to my review of the T1 on the ComputerAudiophile headphone forum, he gave music examples that illustrated the problems with the T1. I bought his sample CDs and found that simple EQ fixed that tonality, but he wasn't convinced.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Interesting as I have read reviews that indicate that both have adequate amounts of bass and that the T90, if anything, is quite a warm set. Funny how different people hear different things.

I have actually just bought the Shure SRH-1540 and absolutely love them so I may hold off on the Beyers and invest in a decent amp instead. I have actually asked this before but didn't really follow it up. I am after an amp that doesn't make cans like the Denons and Shures sound bright and have looked at the following - any views:

Beyerdynamic A20

Lehmann Rhinelander

Musical Fidelity M1-HPA

Burson HA-160

Thanks again.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
Interesting as I have read reviews that indicate that both have adequate amounts of bass and that the T90, if anything, is quite a warm set. Funny how different people hear different things.

I have actually just bought the Shure SRH-1540 and absolutely love them so I may hold off on the Beyers and invest in a decent amp instead. I have actually asked this before but didn't really follow it up. I am after an amp that doesn't make cans like the Denons and Shures sound bright and have looked at the following - any views:

Beyerdynamic A20

Lehmann Rhinelander

Musical Fidelity M1-HPA

Burson HA-160

Thanks again.

You can see from the curves I posted that I gave less bass boost to the T90, which correlates with your observation that it's warmer. Headfonia agrees, but they also love the T90 and do not like the T1. But on the bass issue overall, open headphones like the T1 and T90 do give quite a different perception of bass than comparable closed headphones.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/hifiman-ef-5-hybrid-studio-headphone-amplifier-black.html

I own it and it is amazing.

Well worth the money and would last a lifetime.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Rich will do some research on that one. Since the thread died a bit I have been looking at a few including:

Icon Audio HP8 II

Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear DE (with uprated PSU)

Woo Audio WA6 SE

Burson Soloist

I have the Slee on loan next week so I'll have a squiz at that. Ironically, since buying the T1, I have discovered that the headphone out on the Linn Majik DSM ain't half bad on its own.

TRENDING THREADS