Beyerdynamic IEM Award Winners

audioarchitect

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Has anyone tried either (or preferably both) the MMX 101 ie / DTX 101 ie?

One is £65 and the other is £95 and they're both Best Buys from 2013. I thought I'd give one a try because I'm a fan of Beyer over-ears and haven't heard much about the in-ears.

But.. I'm not sure which to get - £35 is a lot for a mic (not remote, just one button mic) so I'm guessing there is a sound difference?

audioarchitect

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
JoelSim said:
They are the same model, you get a mic and a skype adaptor with the MMX. Other than that identical.

Thanks Joel. Are they any good?

Bit worrying WHF didn't spot that one in the award winning reviews! But, maybe that makes the £65 a real bargain.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Very good indeed. Very neutral, so if you are looking for extended bass then they aren't for you, there are bassier models out there. But for clarity and detail they take some beating.

Ced Yuen

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Taken from our review of the Beyerdynamic MMX 101iE:

"It would be easy to dismiss the Beyerdynamic MMXs as a mic-enabled version of the less expensive DTX 101iEs, and that wouldn't necessarily be a damning conclusion. These are, though, superior-sounding buds that add weight and greater dynamics to the already impressive delivery. There's a smidge more detail and drive to these full-bodied all-rounders, too."

Hope that helps!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I spoke to Tom from Beyer about it and he said they were exactly the same except for the mic, and the literature all says that too.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Ced Yuen said:

"It would be easy to dismiss the Beyerdynamic MMXs as a mic-enabled version of the less expensive DTX 101iEs, and that wouldn't necessarily be a damning conclusion. These are, though, superior-sounding buds that add weight and greater dynamics to the already impressive delivery. There's a smidge more detail and drive to these full-bodied all-rounders, too."

Hope that helps!

Expectation bias in action?

audioarchitect

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Ced Yuen said:

Hope that helps!

Did you review them Ced? I received the DTX 101s today from Amazon and they're sitting on the desk burning in...

Ced Yuen

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Nope, those first tests were done when they were launched a few years ago, and before my time.

In any case, nothing is ever reviewed in isolation – everything gets second and third opinions before a review is put out.

audioarchitect

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Ced Yuen said:
Nope, those first tests were done when they were launched a few years ago, and before my time.

In any case, nothing is ever reviewed in isolation – everything gets second and third opinions before a review is put out.

So three people agreed that two identical products sounded different?

audioarchitect

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I should say actually, I've been listening to my set and they are very good indeed. Im not sure id be so blown away at almost £100 - but id certainly recommend at 60.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts