Beyer D770 Pro

camcroft

Hi.Anyone use these and if so how do you rate them.I listened to a friend of mine`s pair and thought the sound was very good compared to my AKG 450 & 451`s which I thought sounded really good.Saying that I connected them to my Ipod and they didnt have much in the volume dept.Thanks

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have had a pair for ages, they were the first 'proper' pair of headphones I purchased. Many others have been and gone but the Beyers remain, they must have something going for them. For the money I think they are hard to beat, I find them extremely good for long listening sessions with regards to comfort and listening fatigue. As you have found out, if you want to use them with a portable device you will need an external amplifier, I suspect you were listening to the 80 ohm version. There is now a limited edition version which are 32 ohms that will be better for portable listening, I haven't heard those but a couple of other members have them and will chime in I'm sure.

draenor

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I use the DT-880 for music listening and guitar playing combined. Great sounding headphones which have a relatively neutral frequency response. Volume wise I get more than enough from a laptop, but not necessarily so from an ipod or the like. If that's an issue you can get a pair rated for a lower impedance at the cost of accuracy. I do believe the closed back 770 is better isolated and thus volume is less of an issue.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
The DT880 has quite a different signature to the DT770, the former being really neutral, while the latter has an easier to please bass potency. This makes it a bit more 'v-shaped' in the response, because they are both quite potent in the upper midrange / treble (mostly in a good, hifi way). If you want to be able to run them on a portable player without an amp then I recommend sticking to the 32 Ohm versions, a few people complain about the 80 Ohms. I wouldn't worry too much about sonic differences between the different Ohm versions. The material on the cups (which is different on the 32Ohm and 80Ohm version of the DT770) makes a much bigger difference to sound than the impedance.

I do like the DT770, mostly at either end of the frequency response, but.... When comparing them to a bunch of other simialrly priced headphones i started to notice a hollow sound from the midrange, which Dale also picked up on. This is made better if you connect them to a really good amp, but it never really goes away. It's the kind of thing you would get used to if you mostly / only use them though so I still highly recommend them. The only issue is that the SoundMAGIC HP100 is a very simialr price to the 32 Ohm DT770 Limited Edition and the HP100 is quite a bit better in every way accept comfort, which is slightly less brilliant because of the shallow driver depth (for people with sticky out ears), although this can be modded away fairly easily.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts