Better speakers or better amp?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Vladimir said:
KEF LS50 and Yamaha RN500.

You get 80Wpc in 8 ohms with the Yamaha and it also is a streamer so you can use that facility as it gets more and more popular.

Too bad the Yamaha sounds like s. But Kefs are worth the audition indeed.

Sounds fine, neutral and without any coloration to my ears.

What are your thoughts on budget AVRs? How do they all sound to you?

daveredfern

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all for your comments and help.

It seems that it's more about the combination of both speakers and amplifier and how much they compliment eachothers sound.

I have generally been looking at bowers & wilkins, mainly because of own the p7, p5 and c5 headphones and love them all.

Brands such as Q Acoustic seem to be great value and general get great reviews. Is it a case of paying a premium for B&W brand, or are they better? For example the Q Acoustics Concept 40 are £700, same as the B&W CM-1's nearly. The cheapest floorstanders are around £1k for b&w.
I like the smooth warm sound the b&w created when I tried the CM1's. I've read that the Q Acoustics sound very clear and neutral. Is this correct? The poor shop have an ever growing list of equipment :) Thanks, Dave.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
As long as you already have a quality source, the speakers you end up with can only sound as good as the accompanying amplifier will allow them. The difference between a good speaker and a not so good one is normally down to one being driven and controlled properly.

Paper specs will tell you a bit of what you need to know, but nothing can replace a listening session and comparing a few with your own ears. The tonal balance of speakers varies quite a lot, not so much with electronics, so the biggest perceivable difference will usually be with the speakers for most listeners. But what you should be listening out for is detail retrieval, soundstage, transparency, and whether you just enjoy the whole thing.

The best pair of speakers in the world isn't the best pair of speakers in the world if the accompanying amplifier isn't doing its job properly.

+1

Very sensible advice.

manicm

tonky said:
The old adage - it takes one to know one.

tonky

He'd like to think I was countering him in particular, but he'd be wrong, again. I had looked at it myself but pretty much all the reviews I read said pretty much the same thing. A matter of taste of course. Hence my emphasis on auditioning. And see, no insults. The Yam is good value though.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Not heard the Yamaha but it seems good value for money - and has a bit more flexibility with its ability to stream.

tonky

rainsoothe

Vladimir said:
rainsoothe said:
Vladimir said:
KEF LS50 and Yamaha RN500.?

You get 80Wpc in 8 ohms with the Yamaha and it also is a streamer so you can use that facility as it gets more and more popular.?

Sounds fine, neutral and without any coloration to my ears.?

Don't really know, I'm mostly into stereo. It's just that I feel Yamaha budget amps, unlike their studio monitor counterparts, lack a sense of cohesion and drive, they can't grip rhythm properly. To my ears. I prefer Nad or Rotel for the budget. Or, better yet, used stuff.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Vladimir said:
rainsoothe said:
Vladimir said:
KEF LS50 and Yamaha RN500.?

You get 80Wpc in 8 ohms with the Yamaha and it also is a streamer so you can use that facility as it gets more and more popular.?

Sounds fine, neutral and without any coloration to my ears.?

Don't really know, I'm mostly into stereo. It's just that I feel Yamaha budget amps, unlike their studio monitor counterparts, lack a sense of cohesion and drive, they can't grip rhythm properly. To my ears. I prefer Nad or Rotel for the budget. Or, better yet, used stuff.

Interesting take....

I have a Yamaha ax-620 and a rotel ra-1520 both used for stereo music.

I would not be surprised if the current budget/mid priced Yamaha amps are based around the design of the ax-620.

It's a solid sounding amp drives and controls my speakers more effectively than the Rotel with no discernable distortion.

A very natural sound to it. It can hold a tune together.

The Rotel does top end well but lacks 'body' - lower frequencies, it feels like they are missing. Plays uptempo music well but comes up short with more dynamic tracks that use all frequencies - if you know what I mean.

But I prefer a more laid back sound opposed to in yer face - the wall of sound.

On my experience of Yamaha, I rate them.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Vladimir said:
rainsoothe said:
Vladimir said:
KEF LS50 and Yamaha RN500.

You get 80Wpc in 8 ohms with the Yamaha and it also is a streamer so you can use that facility as it gets more and more popular.

Sounds fine, neutral and without any coloration to my ears.

I hear the opposite of what you say. I've never been let down by the sound of a Yamaha amp. If anything their AVRs have outperformed exotica stereo amps I've heard. I hear no coloration (warm, mild, cold), I'm speaking ability to drive speakers only.

But if you like the Naim sound which is not neutral, I can see how the Yammies would come off as slow, bland and warm. I often hear the same myth recycled among audiophiles about Marantz, yet I don't hear them being warm or slow at all.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
I actually like the warm side of Naim, nap 200, uq etc. SN2 wasn't my cup of tea. I also like Marantz a lot. Maybe it was the ma bx2 partnered with the yammy, I don't know.
Its not going to be long before turning to the dark side

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts