Better sound from iPad using camera kit and USB DAC?

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I have been reading that you can take the digital signal direct from the iPad using the USB conector from the camera kit. This means you can use a USB dac to improve sound quality (see link below).

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/discuss/feedback/newsletter/2011/06/1/ipad-streams-high-resolution-audio-dac1

Does anyone have experience of doing this? If so can you use any USB dac like the fiio e10 or 17? Seems like a very good way to get high quality sound on the move?
If this works I think it would be that one extra feature that would let me justify getting one!!

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Well my £5.59 Shinnto adaptor works perfectly with my USB speakers. I am very happy. Thanks for the tip.

Also works fine with my cameras SD card.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Glad it's been of use! Still wondering if there are many portable DACs work in a similar way. There is a thread on headfi about it but it seems that often there s a need for an external power supply as the DACs drain too much power from the iPad and it is a bit inconsistent weather it works or not.

Fisherking 145

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
bay 24 is right. I've just tried my E7, and the iPad says it uses too much power, so it can't be used on the move I'm afraid.

I have excellent results using the camera kit into my CDQ's USB DAC using lossless files, I actually think it sounds better than my Squeezebox Touch using coax.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Fisherking 145 said:
bay 24 is right. I've just tried my E7, and the iPad says it uses too much power, so it can't be used on the move I'm afraid.

I have excellent results using the camera kit into my CDQ's USB DAC using lossless files, I actually think it sounds better than my Squeezebox Touch using coax.

Thanks for confirming! I am not sure it is that simple though as I believe that it may work depending on which iOS you are using. I would quite like to know if the rpac works, seems like it could fit the bill!

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi there,

Rpac does not work with my ipad2 sadly. It might work in conjunction with a separate powered USB hub but I was looking for a portable option.

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi there,

Rpac does not work with my ipad2 sadly. It might work in conjunction with a separate powered USB hub but I was looking for a portable option.

wilsmusic

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi there,

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
wilsmusic said:
Hi there,

Thanks for the confirmation. That's a shame!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts