Best way to stream hi-res audio

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
Hello,

I'm trying to understand what is the best setup I should get to stream best possible quality music to my system.

I currently have Advance Paris A10 Classic amp, connected to B&W 603 speakers and Canton 601 Sub.

Questions:

1) Tidal seems to be the best quality streaming service with FLAC (MQA support ended recently). Correct or is there a better service ?
2) Since I'm planning to stream Tidal FLAC, it should be sufficient to get a streamer that support FLAC, such as Advance Paris WTX StreamTubes (I like tubes sound, my amp is also hybrid tubes one). Correct or I'd be better off getting a streamer that supports also other formats such as DSD and MQA ?
3) Finally, should I connect the streamer to the amp via digital or analogue connection ? My understanding is that via analogue connection the streamer DAC would be used instead of amp DAC and vice-versa with the digital connection

Big thanks in advance! I tried to ask this in my local HIFI shop, but they wouldn't answer unless I buy everything from them. So I'm very much looking forward for some help here.

DCarmi

1) No comment but all have free trials so you can test them for yourself both for quality and usability. Personally, I tried Amazon. Liked the quality but hated the usability, but that was just my opinion.
2) You only need DSD if you plan to use DSD. No doubt someone who does use DSD will come along and advise. As far as I know, DSD is only available via purchased downloads but I'm prepared to be corrected.
3) Depends on the quality of the DACs and whether you can tell a difference. For budget streamer like a WiiM Pro you'd probably be better avoiding its internal DAC by connecting via optical and pass the signal through unchanged. If you have a streamer with a better DAC than the amps DAC, then connect using RCA.

Unimpressed with the response form the local HIFI shop. If they were more friendly and helpful they'd be more likely to encourage you to do business with them. Makes you wonder how they'd respond if something you did buy from them wasn't to your satisfaction.

Revolutions

1) I’d recommend Tidal, probably the best/most intuitive app experience for high quality streams
2) Look at the WiiM pro plus: cheap, easy to setup & it lets you play music directly from the Tidal app.
3) You’d have a good dac in the amp & in the WiiM. So you could try both options & see which you think sounds best

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
Very interesting, thanks to all for the friendly and knowledgeable replies. Quite a difference from my local shop where they has been really full of themselves :). I would have bought at least the streamer from them but after they made me feel like an inconvenience, I sure won't.

1) So Tidal it is
2) I've narrowed down the choice to 3 streamers:
- Advance Paris WTX StreamTubes (Pro: tubes, same brand as my amp, cheapest. Cons: no DSD and MQA)
- Advance Paris X-Stream 9 (Pro: same brand as my amp, DSD support. Cons: no tubes, no MQA, 1.5x cost)
- Cambridge Audio CXN100 (Pro: DSD and MQA, well-regarded device. Cons: no tubes. 2.5x cost)
Based on the replies for far, I'm leaning towards the WTX StreamTubes. I can try both analogue and digital connections and decide which DAC I like more - the streamer's or the amp's. No use for DSD and MQA. And it's the least expensive one. Makes sense or am I missing anything ?
3) Will try both DACs and choose. Great advice.

Thanks !

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Makes sense or am I missing anything ?
Not sure if the Advance Paris has Tidal connect? It allows you to use the Tidal app rather than AP.

Might not seem a big deal now, but if you’re using it a lot, the gap in quality of user experience between an amp company who made an app & a tech company who’s product is the app becomes massively apparently every time you want to throw your phone/tablet against the wall.

In case I’m making no sense, read this:

Reactions: El Puerco Volante

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Hello,

I'm trying to understand what is the best setup I should get to stream best possible quality music to my system.

I currently have Advance Paris A10 Classic amp, connected to B&W 603 speakers and Canton 601 Sub.

Questions:

1) Tidal seems to be the best quality streaming service with FLAC (MQA support ended recently). Correct or is there a better service ?
2) Since I'm planning to stream Tidal FLAC, it should be sufficient to get a streamer that support FLAC, such as Advance Paris WTX StreamTubes (I like tubes sound, my amp is also hybrid tubes one). Correct or I'd be better off getting a streamer that supports also other formats such as DSD and MQA ?
3) Finally, should I connect the streamer to the amp via digital or analogue connection ? My understanding is that via analogue connection the streamer DAC would be used instead of amp DAC and vice-versa with the digital connection

Big thanks in advance! I tried to ask this in my local HIFI shop, but they wouldn't answer unless I buy everything from them. So I'm very much looking forward for some help here.
Welcome, volante one! I've subscribed to Amazon Music Unlimited since I gave up on Spotify's HD-is-coming nonsense, a few years ago, at the time that Amazon also stopped charging extra for its HD (CD-quality) and UltraHD (better-than-CD) offerings. My HiBy DAPs have come Tidal-ready, but Amazon quality has been fully-satisfying here. If they came with trial offers, we probably would have experimented and enjoyed comparing. Amazon's HD offerings also now include Spatial/Dolby Atmos/360-Reality in much of its streaming. You may want to consider whether your auxiliary or prospective equipment (headphones, etc.) are able to take advantage of the various features offered. That's where trials are especially helpful,

Finally, on services, Amazon was alone in offering a lower annual subscription rate that is or was unique among competitors --keeping us from shopping around any more, though because we haven't, you may want to do that if such savings matter to you.

For equipment, we started streaming before all the specialized amps flooded the market and have never felt a need for such, even the "cheap" ones; but, I'm sure many have their merits.

Welcome again to the forum and enjoy your trials and eventual selections.

Reactions: El Puerco Volante

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
Not sure if the Advance Paris has Tidal connect? It allows you to use the Tidal app rather than AP.

Might not seem a big deal now, but if you’re using it a lot, the gap in quality of user experience between an amp company who made an app & a tech company who’s product is the app becomes massively apparently every time you want to throw your phone/tablet against the wall.

In case I’m making no sense, read this:
Hmm, that's a very good point. Basically with Advance Paris I will be stuck with their app interface while with Cambridge I can use Tidal interface directly. I haven't thought about that, maybe a good idea at the end to grab that CNX100!

Thanks, much appreciated!

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
Welcome, volante one! I've subscribed to Amazon Music Unlimited since I gave up on Spotify's HD-is-coming nonsense, a few years ago, at the time that Amazon also stopped charging extra for its HD (CD-quality) and UltraHD (better-than-CD) offerings. My HiBy DAPs have come Tidal-ready, but Amazon quality has been fully-satisfying here. If they came with trial offers, we probably would have experimented and enjoyed comparing. Amazon's HD offerings also now include Spatial/Dolby Atmos/360-Reality in much of its streaming. You may want to consider whether your auxiliary or prospective equipment (headphones, etc.) are able to take advantage of the various features offered. That's where trials are especially helpful,

Finally, on services, Amazon was alone in offering a lower annual subscription rate that is or was unique among competitors --keeping us from shopping around any more, though because we haven't, you may want to do that if such savings matter to you.

For equipment, we started streaming before all the specialized amps flooded the market and have never felt a need for such, even the "cheap" ones; but, I'm sure many have their merits.

Welcome again to the forum and enjoy your trials and eventual selections.
Id just like to also be one of the few people to stick up for Amazon Music. All the hifi talk revolves around the likes of Tidal and Quobuz but, music curation aside, AM provides at least as much choice (probably more than Q) with at least as much bitrate, but at less cost, especially if you are a Prime subscriber.

Revolutions

Id just like to also be one of the few people to stick up for Amazon Music. All the hifi talk revolves around the likes of Tidal and Quobuz but, music curation aside, AM provides at least as much choice (probably more than Q) with at least as much bitrate, but at less cost, especially if you are a Prime subscriber.
have Amazon fixed the disaster that was the app? I remember struggling to use it vs Spotify when I had a free trial a few years back.

Welcome from me too!

Advance Paris is new to these shores. The brand looks very interesting but I’ve no idea how good the warranty, factory support, long term serviceability etc is.

With streaming, the interface is everything. Try the AP and don’t overlook popular brands like Wiim, Cambridge, Bluesound who are very good with streamers. I like using the embedded app rather than ‘casting’ from my iPad to the streamer.

Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, Amazon choices depend on the layout you like, your preferred content and so on. Do you use BBC Sounds or want Radio Paradise for example? Check what the device does for you.

Personally I use Qobuz, have no need for MQA or DSD, and enjoy Linn’s interface and factory support and updates.

Bear in mind new streamers come out all the time. Your amp and speakers will last you decades!

Reactions: Revolutions

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
Thanks to all for the replies and nice welcome!

So I've decided to go with CA CNX100 and Tidal connect.

Now is my thinking correct:

Since I want tube sound, I should skip the CNX 100 DAC and let my Advance Paris A10 amp DAC (hybrid tubes) to process the signal.

To achieve this l plan to connect the CNX 100 to A10 via Digital Coax using a short Audioquest cable.

Makes sense or do I miss something?

By the way, I've send a couple of questions to Advance Paris support. No reply at all in one week. Not impressed.

Thanks!

Juzzie Wuzzie

Don't you get the "tube sound" irrespective of whether you feed the A10 via analogue or digital source:

Analogue source = tube amplification
Digital source = tube DAC (so what) and tube amplification

So you need to determine which DAC (if either) you prefer to do the digital to analogue conversion.

Personally, if you're going to use the A10 DAC, all you need is a streaming transport; and thus the CA CNX100 whilse being a fine piece of kit, seems overkill?

Reactions: Rodolfo

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
Don't you get the "tube sound" irrespective of whether you feed the A10 via analogue or digital source:

Analogue source = tube amplification
Digital source = tube DAC (so what) and tube amplification

So you need to determine which DAC (if either) you prefer to do the digital to analogue conversion.

Personally, if you're going to use the A10 DAC, all you need is a streaming transport; and thus the CA CNX100 whilse being a fine piece of kit, seems overkill?
It may be indeed. But I like to have all bases covered and the CNX100 can deal with any format I "may" need, including MQA and DSD.

I will try to use both CNX100 and A10 DACs and select the one I like more (since at the moment the source will be Tidal FLAC, both DACs can deal with that).

Question: to use A10 DAC I need analogue connection between CNX100 and A10. Which connection is the best : XLR or RCA ? I tend to think that XLR is the best, since both devices offer balanced ports.

Thanks !

Juzzie Wuzzie

Never used XLR but like everything else, experiment and see what you prefer. Personally, I'd be going some well made van Damme interconnects but that is why my accessories are "nothing too expensive".

Last edited:

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
Never used XLR but like everything else, experiement and see what you prefer. Personally, I'd be going some well made van Damme interconnects but that is why my accessories are "nothing too expensive".
All right, I've followed the "nothing too expensive" mantra too and bought an Inakustik Premium XLR cable now. Will try and choose between this one and Audioquest Coax one I have.

Thanks !

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
Follow-up question: I also bought a Technics SU-G700EG-S to build a second system for bedroom.

It will be used primarily to stream via Tidal Connect (FLAC and Atmos).

As far as I see, Technics DAC cannot unfold Atoms, not sure if it can deal with FLAC ?

In any case, I need a streamer that can unfold both, connected via analogue RCA to Technics.

Is my understanding correct ? Or will I lose Atmos anyway once it reaches the Technics ?

Thanks !

Juzzie Wuzzie

Isn't the Technics SU-G700EG-S a stereo amplifier, so it won't be able to (truly) create Atmos ... for which you need a suitable AV amplifier?

Wiim Mini via optical would be my starting point for you. If you NEED to connect via RCA, then consider the Wiim Pro Plus due to its (reportedly) better DAC.

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
Isn't the Technics SU-G700EG-S a stereo amplifier, so it won't be able to (truly) create Atmos ... for which you need a suitable AV amplifier?

Wiim Mini via optical would be my starting point for you. If you NEED to connect via RCA, then consider the Wiim Pro Plus due to its (reportedly) better DAC.
Yes, it's stereo amp indeed. My understanding is that you can listen to Atmos-encoded music tracks in stereo - as long as your DAC is able to deal with it. This means I need to find a streamer with a DAC that can decode Atmos and then I HAVE to connect the streamer to the Technics AMP via analogue connection - otherwise the streamer DAC won't be utilized. Any flaw in this ?
thanks !

abacus

Yes, it's stereo amp indeed. My understanding is that you can listen to Atmos-encoded music tracks in stereo - as long as your DAC is able to deal with it. This means I need to find a streamer with a DAC that can decode Atmos and then I HAVE to connect the streamer to the Technics AMP via analogue connection - otherwise the streamer DAC won't be utilized. Any flaw in this ?
thanks !
If you don't have any Atmos equipment (Receiver, Soundbar etc.) then you will not get Atmos.
You can play Atmos on your system already, as it just ignores the Atmos part and just gives you stereo.
WHF did an article on Atmos Music here Atmos

Bill

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
If you don't have any Atmos equipment (Receiver, Soundbar etc.) then you will not get Atmos.
You can play Atmos on your system already, as it just ignores the Atmos part and just gives you stereo.
WHF did an article on Atmos Music here Atmos

Bill
I was under the impression that as long as the streamer can decode Atmos you will get it also via stereo. Not as good as via a dedicated Atmos setup, but you will still get Atmos. There are Atmos headsets and smartphones - so is must work with just two speakers (less good, but work).

That's why I'm thinking about a streamer that can decode both Atmos and FLAC from Tidal

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
In any case, it looks like I can't easily have Atmos on my stereo system.

I'm actually building a separate Atmos system for 4K Blu-rays. At this point I will use that system also to listen to Atmos music.

Now back to my stereo system: does someone know if I can use Technics SU-G700EG-S amplifier DAC to unfold FLAC from Tidal ?

I tried to google it, but to no avail.

I'd really like to input the music digitally into the Technics from the streamer, as it's positioned as a "fully digital" amplifier.

But will it decode FLAC?

Thanks !

Jonybravo2898

Aug 28, 2024
Visit site
In any case, it looks like I can't easily have Atmos on my stereo system.

I'm actually building a separate Atmos system for 4K Blu-rays. At this point I will use that system also to listen to Atmos music.

Now back to my stereo system: does someone know if I can use Technics SU-G700EG-S amplifier DAC to unfold FLAC from Tidal as well as Game Theory Merch.

I tried to google it, but to no avail.

I'd really like to input the music digitally into the Technics from the streamer, as it's positioned as a "fully digital" amplifier.

But will it decode FLAC?

Thanks !
The Technics SU-G700EG-S amplifier can handle digital input, but it does not natively decode FLAC files. You can input FLAC music digitally into the amplifier, but you’ll need a separate DAC or streamer to decode the FLAC files before sending them to the Technics amplifier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts