best way to spend 100 quid

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
After months of pondering, I've still not arrived at a decision as to how to best spend a (very) limited budget. I've got an ageing Denon DM31, a pair of Grado SR60s, a Philips laptop and, as from yesterday evening, Spotify premium. Whilst I do enjoy playing cds, I've got to be honest, most of my listening is via Spotify simply due to the convenience. At the moment I use a pair of Sennheiser PX100s plugged straight into the laptop's headphone socket. Having just signed up to Spotify premium, I've decided that I really do need to improve things re sound quality. So, my question (clue in the title): What's the best way to spend £100 or less to improve sound quality. Obviously I'm looking to utilise the Grados. Is an offboard DAC the way to go? As mentioned in another post, does anyone know anything about the Headphonia USB/DAC/stick? Looks like a cost effective approach, but I think it's a relatively new product and I can't find any reviews. I keep going back to consider the Beresford TC7520, a little over budget, but if this is by far the best option...

John Duncan

Sorry, am being obtuse. I think your systems quite good as it is, and 100 quid won't buy you much improvement - and since you have spotify, saying "buy more music" doesn't really cut it. If you must spend 100 quid, look for a second hand Beresford DAC on the 'bay...

John Duncan

Actually wine's the same - plays havoc with my tinnitus. But my advice stands - if you can find a Beresford, go with it, otherwise spend your money elsewhere
emotion-1.gif

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
But seriously, are you saying there is nothing I can do because I'd need to spend alot more than £100 or because, well, there's nothing I can do full stop i.e. it's not worth it?

John Duncan

daveyjay:
But seriously, are you saying there is nothing I can do because I'd need to spend alot more than £100 or because, well, there's nothing I can do full stop i.e. it's not worth it?

It's more that 100 quid won't get you enough improvement to spend the money (except second hand) - if you had 200 then I'd definitely get a Beresford (new) or a Fubar IV or suchlike. I'd say the DACMagic but no headphone out...

Messiah

daveyjay:Yep, looks like the Beresford, then. I take it you're happy with yours, Messiah. What was the delivery time like after ordering?

Certainly happy with it. Delivery was pretty quick.No more than a couple of days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts