Best way to connect laptop with Denon1910

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

What would be the better way to connect my laptop Acer Aspire 5670 with my new Denon AVR-1910 :

1. Trough its DVI-D port (there are some DVI to HDMI cables on the market), or

2. S-video out

What is the difference anyway and what cables should I use for 2 if it is better? And will the DVI-D port send the audio too?

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
DVI to HDMI will give you a better picture but it won't send the audio so you'll need a separate cable from the laptop's audio output into the amp as well.

Looking at a picture of the Acer, it looks like it says SPDIF next to the headphone port which suggests it will double as an optical output as well using a Mini-TOSlink adaptor. I'll try and confirm this somewhere.

EDIT - a few sites' specs sheets list SPDIF out as well so looks like this is you best bet.

A

Anonymous

Thanks professor, can you please clarify just a little more.

I checked Acer's specs and it has S/PDIF support for digital speakers. I don't really understand connecting the Mini-TOSlink adapter that you recommend. Can I simply go with some of these cables:

1) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plated-Digital-Optical-Cable-Mountain/dp/B0018544KS/ref=pd_cp_ce_3

2) http://www.amazon.co.uk/SPDIF-Cable-TosLink-Premium-Gold/dp/B000JKA4IO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260107057&sr=8-1

or I need the adapter or maybe something else.

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Still laughing at the concept of a gold-plated optical cable, but you'll need either one of those cables and a Mini-TOSLink adapter like this

21Dc0h1K2BL._SL500_AA243_.jpg

Or a cable like this

417S0J2FQZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the help Andrew, I'll skip the adapter and go with the second option.

A

Anonymous

I need help again :(

I bought the cables but I am not getting any audio trough my speakers. I assigned my laptop on Denon's DVR position (DVI-D to HDMI cable at HDMI slot no.4 and the aforesaid audio cable at OPT-2). While the picture on the TV is perfect, with some upscaling, there is no audio from the speakers. Is there some additional setting on the Denon that I have to do? When I go to Denon's menu - information for source DVR it shows audio - stereo but I dont hear anythinhg. I tried switching on VLC player audio device to A/52 over S/PDIF instead of stereo (I dont know which is correct anyway) but it didnt help. Am I missing something?

Thanks

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Is your laptop outputting on the spdif (can you see the red light if you take the cable out of the socket? If not, you have to go into the soundcard properties and anable it. If it is, then I am assuming that you haven't assigned the OPT2 digital input to DVR on your amp.

A

Anonymous

Where should this red light appear?

I've assigned the OPT2 digital input to DVR so it must be something either with the sound card or maybe the cable (although its brand new). The laptop has the headphones/speaker/line-out jack with S/PDIF support so that is certain. Maybe the audio device, which is Realtek HD Audio does not support SPDIF output? I suspect this becouse on the Master Volume menu the SPDIF volume slider is shaded and volume and balance can not be moved. What should I do to enable it? I am stucked at the moment, so please help.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts