Best way to connect ipod to hi fi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm about to upgrade my current system with an Audiolab 8200CD. Will I get the best sound by connecting my ipod directly to it or by using a digital dock into my amp?

idc

Hi,

your choice is to either connect the ipod via a digital dock (one that takes a digital signal from the ipod and does not have a DAC in it) to the CDP's DAC via one of the digital inputs (coax, optical or USB going by its specification) or connecting your ipod directly to your amp. You can do that by either a dock with a DAC in it, or with an analogue cable.

The reason behind that is down to what component can take a digital signal (the CDP) and what can take an analogue signal (the amp).

idc

The GQ-24 is how I started out with an ipod based system. It worked so well connected directly to my amp, I was happy enough to see the rest of system go.

That cable bypasses the ipods amp and so all volume control is by the amp you connect the cable to.

A

Anonymous

One thing to look at if going down the dock route. Check out the control options for the docks you have in mind. Whilst it might seem a good idea to have a remote control. They can be a bit of a pain going through a large collection. I have a Denon dock which was a pain to use in remote mode. I just eneded up using the Touch itself to choose music.
Mind you since getting the Sonos it hasn't been used at all for music.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Maybe look into hooking up your laptop/pc directly to your amp/cd player. If your tv is modern enough an hdmi to the tv and then you have a big beautiful jukebox. Then use your touch as a remote with the free apple remote app. That's what I do with my MacBook and iPad. The interface is incredible. Guests love flicking through iTunes using the iPad and the q feature on remote. I started off buy buying the silver apple remote for my MacBook-still cool just not as nice as the iPad/touch option. Then again if you can't connect pc/laptop to amp..... Disregard!!

MacBook hooked upto amp via mini to slink.

MacBook to tv via hdmi (not necessary but nice for movies and photos.

Remote app.... If you have a touch

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to get a cable that is - male 30 pin to USB type B male?
Then you could connect ipod/ipad/iphone to any DAC that has a female USB type B socket.I've hunted around but can't find a suitable cable.Will this work,or am i plain dumb?

TRENDING THREADS