Best Used Monitor Audio speakers upto 1000 GBP ? opinons please !

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I want feedback from Monitor Audio fans/users.!

I have the current "old school" HIFI setup : Arcam CD73 + Sugden amp A25B + MA R700MD (deep standmount speakers from the 1980's).

I am looking to slowly upgrade my amp and speakers... I am looking at a used Arcam A85 or a used Naim setup.

Room = 5m x 4m with wooden floor

Music : I listen to Pat Metheny, Jazz, Acoustic, "unplugged", Norah Jones, Gotan project, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac,Clannad, etc...

Advice should I stay with standmount or to go to freestanding ?

2nd question: looking at previous MA ranges which model stands out or I should look out for :

700 PMC, Studio SE , Silver i, GR or GS ?

I like warmth + detail, bass and treble - for a medium sized room...

Thanks

MT

Welcome...

Firstly, the wooden floors concern me as regards newer MA speakers. That said, the Sugden amp should be warm enough to avoid any sonic nasties. If you're seriously thinking about the A85 then great... work brilliantly with MAs, but... and it's a big BUT... the Arcam is a little more neutral than the Sugden (certainly the model I heard), therefore the metal dome tweeters on MAs may be pushed beyond your comfort zone.

Avoid Naim with MA Silver range, otherwise painkillers will be the order of the day... literally.

Here goes: Standmounted speakers look at GR or GS10s or RX1 or 2s. Floorstanders look at RX6 and maybe the RS6s. Alternatively, look at PMC DB1is - they work brilliantly with Arcam and the soft domed tweeter is a little more forgiving.

Hope this helps?

A

Anonymous

Thanks, for feedback.. I can't pose this question to MA dealers, because they naturally want to sell the latest model.. I am looking for hidden gems...

My Sugden A25B amp sounds like an A48... (Besides the warm sound, I like the fact that the factory is round the corner from me in Leeds)!

What characteristics am I notice going the standmount MA route? versus Floorstanders? Aren't floorstanders too big for a 20sqm room in an apartment block ?

You mention many younger MA model speakers.. are they built as well as MA speakers of old (80's -90s)..

scene

+1 on what pp has said, but also...

Before I transferred them to be the front pair of my AV setup, I had a pair of Silver 8is attached to my Arcam A85 and they sounded really sweet. From what I've heard (not full long demos with the A85), that the RS6s would also sound very, very nice with the A85. I'd avoid the RS8s as they would probably be too bassy, especially with your wooden floor. I'm not so sure about the RX range matching the Arcam, and I was never convinced with the Silver range that followed the Silver i range - I listened and was far from convinced. I will be honest, I haven't heard enough of the GR/GS with older Arcam kit to comment.

I'd consider A85 + RS6 or Silver 8i (to demo, if poss) and consider using any spare cash towards a P85 for bi-amping...

A

Anonymous

The M/A RX1's and RX2's would work very well with an Arcam DiVA A85 integrated but if of interest, maybe look and consider the Arcam Alpha 10 integrated as well.

Both are superb amps but for me the Alpha 10 has a more dynamic and punchier sound but wtill with that lovely Arcam smoothness and soundstage
emotion-1.gif

The M/A GS10's would also work very well so they should definitly be considered. However, for another decent standmount speakers, the B&W CM5's are worth demoing.

I find them to be superb and have great clarity and timing. Their bass isnt the deepest but despite that thewir overall soundstage is fantastic IMO

If you are interested in floorstanding speakers then the M/A RX6's are also superb but so are the QUAD 22L2's and the 21L2's... Heard these speakers with my NAD set-up but also with the Arcam FMJ A28 and A38 amps and they REALLY sang
emotion-11.gif

The B&W CM7's could also work very well; there have been a few very good pairs on eBay recently so may be worth keeping your eyes peeled on there!

tokarski:

Thanks, for feedback.. I can't pose this question to MA dealers, because they naturally want to sell the latest model.. I am looking for hidden gems...

My Sugden A25B amp sounds like an A48... (Besides the warm sound, I like the fact that the factory is round the corner from me in Leeds)!

What characteristics am I notice going the standmount MA route? versus Floorstanders? Aren't floorstanders too big for a 20sqm room in an apartment block ?

You mention many younger MA model speakers.. are they built as well as MA speakers of old (80's -90s)..

There are many hidden gems. Yes, floorstanders will do the trick, but for a warmer sound the Sugden will be the better option, given it's a valve amp and you have wooden floors.

As mentioned before, a soft domed tweeter is a better option with hard floors.

deanhartley

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I'd recommend the Silver RX6 for your system. The tweeter we use was developed for the GS series and it really is quite smooth, but still extended at the top end. The large damped rear chamber provides a low resonance and doesn't sound hard around the crossover point when pushed. It's a really low distortion design. We took a more traditional approach with the RX2, which is un-usual (certainly in today's hifi sector) in that it has an 8" driver. So, it's quite old fashioned in a world today where speaker are getting smaller/slimmer. But for a standmount, it really kicks.

Our speakers are very much better today than they were when I started at MA and have been getting better and better with every new range. As the company got bigger, we have invested more in people and R&D. In 1997, I was on my on as sole engineer. Now, we have 9 engineers and a lot of very high-tech kit.

Try to get listen to the RX6 and RX2 at a dealer with your amp. The RX2 will be less demanding and the stand may provide some isolation on the wooden floor to assist with any room issues. Alteranatively, I have been using the GS10's in a room about the same size with a wooden floor for the last 4 years. They are greats speakers and since they are about to be replaced by the GX series, you might be able to pick a pair up between £500-600 ex demo. That's another option.

Hope that helps. I'm also round the corner in Wakefield. Give my regard to Patrick as Sugden if you speak to him. Not seen him for a while.

Regards,

A

Anonymous

Hi, GR60 2nd hand are about 600-800. i got my gr60 last month for £600, lovely speakers. had and sold MA silver 8i, they ok but my b&w 602 s3 were much better-warmer,better soundstage, more real.

the GR60 are lovely in many ways, if you can get the GS60 for about £1000 go for it--seen then on ebay recent for about that price 2nd hand and seen good things about them on this forum.

gr60 not knee deep in bass but i have MA rsw12 sub for that.

good luck

TRENDING THREADS