KEF Q900 Vs Dali Zensor 7 Vs Monitor Audio Bronze 6 - Advice please?

Ro-Tang Clan

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
So I'm currently looking to replace my existing front speakers in my surround system which are the Mordaunt Short Aviano 6's. Originally my plan was to go with the MA Bronze 6's but after speaking to someone in RicherSounds they said going to the Bronze 6's would be more of a sidestep than a direct upgrade. I turned my attention to the Dali Zensor 7's but Superfi are clearing out the KEF Q900's going at £700 - the same price as the Bronze 6's.

I love the KEF's but getting the complimentary speakers for a surround setup would be difficult and expensive considering the surround dipole's retail for £1000. The Monitor Audio Bronze's or the Dali's would be easier to obtain the full surround set and cheaper, but their offerings on the floorstanders don't seem as good.

I'm looking for big authoritive sound that can deliver a lot of bass as well as great high's and midrange. I'm using a Yamaha RXA2050 AV Reciever. All advice is welcome, cheers!

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
You can pick up a pair of tannoy xtf6 for £600 now which is a great upgrade. Vickers hifi.or Dali opticon 6 would be more what you are looking for but cost £1000http://www.vickershifi.com/products/tanrevxt6f/tannoy-revolution-xt-6f-floorstanding-speakers

Ro-Tang Clan

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
You can pick up a pair of tannoy xtf6 for £600 now which is a great upgrade. Vickers hifi.or Dali opticon 6 would be more what you are looking for but cost £1000http://www.vickershifi.com/products/tanrevxt6f/tannoy-revolution-xt-6f-f...

It's a shame that big floorstanders cost so much more. Surely it can't be worth £4k to make a wooden box slightly bigger and add more slightly bigger drive units to it. I've heard good things about Tannoy, but damn they're such ugly designs. If they weren't so bland then I'd probably consider them. But I was looking at larger cabinet designs with more drive units like the KEF's as they can push more air and can therefore be more powerful. Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Ro-Tang Clan said:
seemorebtts said:
You can pick up a pair of tannoy xtf6 for £600 now which is a great upgrade. Vickers hifi.or Dali opticon 6 would be more what you are looking for but cost £1000http://www.vickershifi.com/products/tanrevxt6f/tannoy-revolution-xt-6f-f...

It's a shame that big floorstanders cost so much more. Surely it can't be worth £4k to make a wooden box slightly bigger and add more slightly bigger drive units to it. I've heard good things about Tannoy, but damn they're such ugly designs. If they weren't so bland then I'd probably consider them. But I was looking at larger cabinet designs with more drive units like the KEF's as they can push more air and can therefore be more powerful. Thanks for the suggestion anyway!
How about these beauties Brand: Mission
Model: SX-4
Finish: Piano Rosewood
eBay new £750.big sound and great looking and better than the kefs

Ro-Tang Clan

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Ro-Tang Clan said:
seemorebtts said:

How about these beauties Brand: Mission Model: SX-4 Finish: Piano Rosewood eBay new £750.big sound and great looking and better than the kefs

I really appreicate your help, but I'm afraid those SX-4's aren't for me. They may sound amazing, but if I'm making an investment like this to keep them for a long time, I also want them to look good too and personally the aesthetics on those don't do it for me. I've never been a fan of the aethetics for Mission speakers and infact, the new LX series is the only line I like the look of. Sadly though with them being entry-level their floorstanders don't have bi-wiring posts and my current front speakers are bi-amped and I wish to keep it that way.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Ro-Tang Clan said:
seemorebtts said:
Ro-Tang Clan said:
seemorebtts said:

How about these beauties Brand: Mission Model: SX-4 Finish: Piano Rosewood eBay new £750.big sound and great looking and better than the kefs

I really appreicate your help, but I'm afraid those SX-4's aren't for me. They may sound amazing, but if I'm making an investment like this to keep them for a long time, I also want them to look good too and personally the aesthetics on those don't do it for me. I've never been a fan of the aethetics for Mission speakers and infact, the new LX series is the only line I like the look of. Sadly though with them being entry-level their floorstanders don't have bi-wiring posts and my current front speakers are bi-amped and I wish to keep it that way.
wow your a tough cookie to crack.you have very straight views on what you like.the two speakers i have mentioned are the best looking and sounding I could find.mybe I'm a bit of a show horse when it comes to speakers.i think that the kef's are going to be perfect for you but one last attempt how about mission Mx5 massive speakers big sound and easy on the eyes.no forget that I can't find them for sale anywhere:-(

Ro-Tang Clan

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Ro-Tang Clan said:
seemorebtts said:
Ro-Tang Clan said:
seemorebtts said:

wow your a tough cookie to crack.you have very straight views on what you like.the two speakers i have mentioned are the best looking and sounding I could find.mybe I'm a bit of a show horse when it comes to speakers.i think that the kef's are going to be perfect for you but one last attempt how about mission Mx5 massive speakers big sound and easy on the eyes.no forget that I can't find them for sale anywhere:-(

I still find the aesthetics to be 'meh' but in terms of size and power that's exactly what I'm looking for! Why aren't floorstanders like that anymore? Current ranges from all manufacturer's are quite small, it's like someone stuck them in skinny jeans. I have the Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 which is a great budget speaker and I'd say it's average in terms of height and depth. Originally I was looking at the Monitor Audio Bronze 6's but when I looked at them in person I was massively dissapointed. They're smaller and skinnier than my Aviano's!

I don't want semi-skimmed, I want full fat and with great fidelity too. I thought floorstanders were all about big punchy sound, otherwise why go for floorstanders over bookshelf's? With a small cabinet size you're limited with the size of the woofer and how much air that woofer can push too which obviously makes the sound less punchy.

I ended up putting a deposit down on the KEF Q900's since there was only 1 pair left in stock and since they're clearance items I'd never see another pair again brand new. Though I'm still umming and arring about other options since those KEF's are from a range that came out in 2011. The reason I included the Dali's is because although they're smaller height-wise, the woofers are decently sized and the cabinet depth is decent too and they seem like they pack a punch and with decent top end range too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts