Best system £2500? Bose V30??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Hi, Again sorry to be a pain, this thread is getting long in the tooth!!

For within the same budget of the Original Bose V30.....I can get the Onkyo 875, top cables, and possible the B&W MT-30s....would this be a good matched system?

I think this may be my final request! lol

Thanks,

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"][quote user="mattbelly2002"]
Hi all,

Thanks for some great input. I have since been looking at an Onkyo SR875 or NR905 with either Kef 2005.2 speakers or monitor audio ones (there goes the missus again!)

What do you think about these? And can you hideaway the Onkyo units and control your sky/hifi from a desktop IR receiver?

I found this deal,what do you think?

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HCS_ONK905_KEF2005.php

Thanks again!

Matt

[/quote]

hi Matt,

DON'T pair the Onkyo 905 with the KEF 2005.2s - the eggs will be blown to smithereens! It's a real system mis-match - either scale down the receiver to the 605 with that package, or put the beefier KEFs or Monitor Audios or B&W MT30 with the more powerful receiver.

And yes, you can hide kit away and use IR receivers - but be aware that AV kit runs very hot, so any cabinet etc would need to be very well ventilated.

[/quote]

Hi Matt - as you'll see from my comment earlier, I think the Onkyo and MT30s would be an excellent combo!

A

Anonymous

Hi all, Just thought I'd post some feedback after taking your time for advice, and comparison to my original choice the Bose V30.In the end I bought the Onkyo 875 av amp, I was originally going for B&w MT30s but then decided on the Monitor Audio RS6 av package after hearing one.....then I saved myself some money and went for the BR5av package which saved me £1000 and still (in my mind) sounded better than the satellite speakers. I also got 40m of QED silver XT anniversary cable thrown in free from Peter Tyson online, who knocked my an additional £100 of 3 x 3m QED reference HDMI cables, 1 x 3m QED optical digital and 1x 3m QED reference subwoofer cable.Av amp: Onkyo 875 with ipod ir dock.Speakers: Monitor Audio Br5av Cables: QED xt silver anniversary.Total cost: £1870!! I have set the system up now and it sounds awesome for music or home cinema.....I was impressed by the Bose V30....but this setup blows me away in comparison and it was about £800 cheaper!!(I might of saved £800 but ended up buying a Pioneer PDP-lx6080 as a TV upgrade...that's over the Panasonic 65Px600 is this a good decision??....its a dangerous thing going round these audio visual shops....must stay away for a few years now!! ) Thank you all very much for your advice, it saved me from spending more and I got a lot more for my money in the end!!

Matt

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Matt,

Glad to have helped out - you've got yourself a damn fine system there. The Pioneer is certainly a superb decision, as is the choice of traditional over style speakers: much more bang for your buck for movies and not bad for music, either.

Spread the word!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

Hi Matt,

Glad to have helped out - you've got yourself a damn fine system there. The Pioneer is certainly a superb decision, as is the choice of traditional over style speakers: much more bang for your buck for movies and not bad for music, either.

Spread the word!

[/quote]

First off-I just want to know-Clare? Is that really your pic?

But to the meat. If the Bose system (V30) is so bad, how do they make it sound so good.

I was in a store today.Looking at a Sharp AQUOS large
screen.
But I couldn't help notice how good the sound was.It was REALLY, REALLY good. And we need to remember it sounded good in a
OPEN large showroom.Not even in a 4-walled
room.

What gives?
Talk to me.

A

Anonymous

Clare,

I know this is a old post but glad I found it, I was convinced on getting either the BoseV20 or V30 till about an hr ago ;)

I was wondering if I could get some similar advice to Matt as after reading this thread it sounds like some equipment doesn't bode well with others. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

I already have a PS3 hence the need to upgrade (and my currently set up is about 6 yrs old lol) so was looking to get:

Samsung PS50B650 (found it £899 in Selfridges - Bond Street)

Not sure what av amp to get but don't want to spend over £1k

And was probably looking to get Style Speakers either B&W MT-25 or KEF KHT3005SE-K2 altho if you know of a smaller better option would gladly take a look. Space isn't really an issue as I currently have full size speakers but would be nice to go smaller if I can still get great sound.

I will be using it mainly for movies, music then gaming.

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

The next time you go to Selfridges try the Monitor Audio R90HD10 if they still have one on display(they did a few days ago). Compare this to the Bose Systems there and see, or rather hear, the difference! If you want something even smaller, the Jamo A102 would be a good idea. This should give Bose like performance without paying for the Bose premium. You will need a separate amplifier. Bose often sell all in one systems but they publish very little about the features included. Most likely Bose will lack features, such as HD Audio, as they target less informed customers.

A

Anonymous

Focal Domes
http://stereos.about.com/od/reviewsandrecommendations/fr/FocalDome.htm
I have heard these at a demo and theysounded great for the size.look smart too if you like lifestyle stuff

A

Anonymous

Thank you both for replying to my message.

Some good options. I love the look of Focal domes - if they sound as good as they look I think these would be top of the list.

Have either of you got any Amp recommendations? I would like listen to speakers with the amp if I could get a demo.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Separates are the way to go - but you have to be willing for your living space to be invaded ! Even the B and W MT 30's can cost you room .They'd be my speakers of choice if space was at a premium . But if like me you also want a reasonable stereo sound then try the B and W Home Theatre Package - B and W 685's , 686's , sub could be upgraded a bit on your budget from the suggested 608 to the 610 ( or something )

To drive that lot you'll need the five star rated Denon 2310 - I have the prior version 2309.

So that combo will come to about 1800 -2000 leaving you 400- 500 for quality stands and cables etc

I started out along this kind of route and discovered that I wanted a better and independent stereo system . So if you are coming from Stereo to Home Cinema be prepared to lose at that level , And if like me you started travelling down the Home Cinema road first , the journey will often not be complete without a more satisfying music system .

I have found my nirvana within a budget of a few thousand combining a B and W Home Cinema and Denon AVR connected by the AV bypass to a Naim stereo which drives Spendor A6' fronts.

I'd have to be convinced that a much more expensive AVR would dramatically improve my surround sound . I imagine a bit of kit exists but I'm content with the existing results. Your budget ought to get you a really good mid range set up

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It was funny reading through this thread - quite a lot of disinformation.

Funny how B&O were slagged off very early in this thread (early in the year), but mention now that they use Philips parts inside and everyone jumps to their defence - what changed?!

I'm actually going to stick up for Bose here - not because I'm a Bose fan (far from it), and not because we stock Bose either. But because the instance anyone mentions Bose, they're pounced upon and told that it's all cheap rubbish that is overpriced. Let's look at a few positive points.

The V20 and V30 systems are for people who already have their source components and want to add something discreet to give them full HD surround sound. These systems include as discreet a speaker as you can get without going in wall, full HD surround decoding (DTS-MA/True HD/PCM), full 1080p upscaling, Room EQ, and more than enough audio and video inputs for the average person.

The sort of person that is interested in the V series systems AREN'T interested in huge speakers, or hulking great AV amplifiers that run hot enough to heat a gymnasium in the winter.

Any Bose system or product bought from our premises is purchased AFTER a demo, which would include a demo of equivalent separates IF the customer is open to that path. And no, our store isn't "acoustically treated", nor does it use "special Bose setups" that make the most of the equipment - they're displayed wherever we have space for them to go.

Bose is a lifestyle product, and like ALL lifestyle products, carry a premium.

Bose uses a basic multi room system which is extremely easy to set up and use, with a system or speaker system to suit most situations. Our last big install made use of something in the region of 30 zones, all running from 2 HDD Lifestyle systems.

Bose, like anything else, has their place in the market. This won't be a section of the market that the majority on here will be interested in, but there are a LOT of people out there that will be - they don't want the ultimate in fidelity, they don't want something that invades their living space, they don't want something that needs a degree to set up and control - they just want a simple system that works.

A

Anonymous

some good points made there , my tv is in the corner of my room , so as much as id like the better experience of a good surround set up , using seperates , the lack of symmetry , and thought of cables everywhere , means a good yamaha soundbar will be my choice .. horses for courses ..

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thank you both for understanding - not quite the replies I expected this morning!!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I got this and I think its better than the Bose:(update, I cant say that as not heard the £3000.00 bose systems) but heard some of the mid priced ones

Pioneer VSX 819 HDMI

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's and then the 9cc for the centre

MS Alumni with wall mounts, and they pound. dont even need a sub.. LOL

And my mate just gave me a gale sub5, it looks garbage, but OMG IT POUNDS...

PS3

SKYHD

Came in at for the system at just under 600.00 including wires.

canada16:

I got this and I think its better than the Bose

Bose is far off from being the best system around. They're lifestyle products. Honestly, people looking for the aesthetics of Bose, will they really be interested in Wharfedale speakers???

There are many alternatives to Bose, the Monitor Audio Radius R90HD package springs to my mind, which performs better & has the looks to match.

Bose caters to a very different clientele (usually the kind who do not visit this forum!
emotion-15.gif
)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes Canada, it probably would do, but my point earlier is that the sort of person who looks for systems like Bose really aren't interested in HUGE speakers like your 9.1's! And believe me, there are people that think speakers like MA Radius R90HD's are too big!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
It was funny reading through this thread - quite a lot of disinformation.

Funny how B&O were slagged off very early in this thread (early in the year), but mention now that they use Philips parts inside and everyone jumps to their defence - what changed?!

I'm actually going to stick up for Bose here - not because I'm a Bose fan (far from it), and not because we stock Bose either. But because the instance anyone mentions Bose, they're pounced upon and told that it's all cheap rubbish that is overpriced. Let's look at a few positive points.

The V20 and V30 systems are for people who already have their source components and want to add something discreet to give them full HD surround sound. These systems include as discreet a speaker as you can get without going in wall, full HD surround decoding (DTS-MA/True HD/PCM), full 1080p upscaling, Room EQ, and more than enough audio and video inputs for the average person.

The sort of person that is interested in the V series systems AREN'T interested in huge speakers, or hulking great AV amplifiers that run hot enough to heat a gymnasium in the winter.

Any Bose system or product bought from our premises is purchased AFTER a demo, which would include a demo of equivalent separates IF the customer is open to that path. And no, our store isn't "acoustically treated", nor does it use "special Bose setups" that make the most of the equipment - they're displayed wherever we have space for them to go.

Bose is a lifestyle product, and like ALL lifestyle products, carry a premium.

Bose uses a basic multi room system which is extremely easy to set up and use, with a system or speaker system to suit most situations. Our last big install made use of something in the region of 30 zones, all running from 2 HDD Lifestyle systems.

Bose, like anything else, has their place in the market. This won't be a section of the market that the majority on here will be interested in, but there are a LOT of people out there that will be - they don't want the ultimate in fidelity, they don't want something that invades their living space, they don't want something that needs a degree to set up and control - they just want a simple system that works.

I've just re read the thread and although Bose gets a battering, I don't think B&O does. Andrew mentions that you don't get the kind of person, who would happily spend a lot of money on B&O gear, frequenting a proper hifi shop. I don't think that's knocking B&O but pointing out that there are people who look at B&O stuff as an ornament almost and would probably rather have no hifi if it was normal looking.

A

Anonymous

I purchased my first complete home cinema package about nine years ago from a very reputable local dealer (They still advertise in the WHFmag and have an excellent reputation).

Part of the package was the Bose Acoustimass 15 Home Cinema speaker system which I thought sounded awesome in the showroom so I went along with the recommendation to buy them. I knew virtually zero about AV kit at that point.

I have subscribed to the mag for quite a while now and look at this forum regularly as I think its very informative and quite often good fun too. In short I'm much more tech savvy (but light years away from a lot of the folks who contribute regularly to the various threads).

Over the last few years and with my newfound knowledge I've bought two further AV amps/DVD players/TV's and am about to replace everything again but I still have the Bose speakers as I believe they still sound good!!!

Sometimes and given the response to the "Bose" word on the forum I feel kinda guilty/stupid that I own them and maybe if I was starting again I would buy other speakers and here is my problem......

I'm probably going to buy the Denon 2310 and the Sony BDPS760 but should I:

[*]Ditch the speakers, bite the bullet and upgrade them
[*]Buy a cheaper amp/Blue Ray as I'd be wasting my money buying the Denon/Sony
[*]Buy the Denon/Sony as planned and keep the Bose speakers

I've been wanting to ask this question for so long and feel so much better now I've come out!

All comments gratefully appreciated.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Wovian:
I purchased my first complete home cinema package about nine years ago from a very reputable local dealer (They still advertise in the WHFmag and have an excellent reputation).

Part of the package was the Bose Acoustimass 15 Home Cinema speaker system which I thought sounded awesome in the showroom so I went along with the recommendation to buy them. I knew virtually zero about AV kit at that point.

I have subscribed to the mag for quite a while now and look at this forum regularly as I think its very informative and quite often good fun too. In short I'm much more tech savvy (but light years away from a lot of the folks who contribute regularly to the various threads).

Over the last few years and with my newfound knowledge I've bought two further AV amps/DVD players/TV's and am about to replace everything again but I still have the Bose speakers as I believe they still sound good!!!

Sometimes and given the response to the "Bose" word on the forum I feel kinda guilty/stupid that I own them and maybe if I was starting again I would buy other speakers and here is my problem......

I'm probably going to buy the Denon 2310 and the Sony BDPS760 but should I:

[*]Ditch the speakers, bite the bullet and upgrade them
[*]Buy a cheaper amp/Blue Ray as I'd be wasting my money buying the Denon/Sony
[*]Buy the Denon/Sony as planned and keep the Bose speakers

I've been wanting to ask this question for so long and feel so much better now I've come out!

All comments gratefully appreciated.

No need to feel like that! If you are happy then fine. If you want a better sound, I'm sure you can get it. I've heard the Bose package you have. A relative of mine had it, he then demo'd and bought the Denon 2808 and MT-20 from B&W which sounded in a different league. I would say that the Denon 2310 will be wasted on the Bose speakers. I would say that you might get a decent price selling the whole Bose system as a package and then change the lot - but only if that's what you want. There are some great deals on the Monitor Audio RS range at the moment - which I can vouch for. My system sounds a lot better than the Denon/B&W system I've mentioned. The RSW12 is down to £349 at the moment and I've just noticed these two deals. The first one gives you all the Radius speakers with the lesser subwoofer for £499. You could buy this, sell the lesser sub for about £200 and get the RSW12, net outlay, circa £650 (the package with the RSW12 costs £899). This would blow the Bose speakers out of the water!

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/monitor_audio_r90_av-12.shtml

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/monitor_audio_r90_av-12.shtml

D

Deleted member 2457

My Uncle recently heard the bose lifestyle 38 and 48 something like that? Are these one's any good?

I was trying to tell him about B&W MT30's.

A

Anonymous

Hey Gerardasnails, thanks for the reply. Have you got a similar idea but more style speaker package. Cheers

gel:
My Uncle recently heard the bose lifestyle 38 and 48 something like that? Are these one's any good?

I was trying to tell him about B&W MT30's.

The V30 is a better option than the lifestyle 38 & 48, simply because it's HDMI compatible & upgradeable. If I'm not wrong, the lifestyle 38 & 48 don't have HDMI ports.

TRENDING THREADS