Best Subwoofer Cable?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi WHF Team and fellow forumers,

Which would be the best cable to connect my AV Receiver to the subwoofer?

I noticed that WHF Magazine does not have any reviews on subwoofer cables. Why is that? Also, some manufacturers like QED has dedicated subwoofer cables whereas Chord doesn't seem to have any?

To connect the AV Receiver to the subwoofer, would I need a special subwoofer cable or just an analogue cable or a digital cable (coaxial)?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Chord do indeed produce subwoofer cables, though I don't think they are mentioned on their website.ÿI have a 3.5m Chord Cobra.

If you look online with some of the larger cable supply companies you should find them in the listings, or contact any Chord dealer, I can recommend SynergyAV . I think there are some set lengths in the different cable ranges, or you can have custom lengths made up - they are standard RCA plugs, but terminated slightly different.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Hi SC,

Is the Chord Cobra that you are using the same cable that is listed in the analogue audio interconnects section? http://www.chord.co.uk/chordweb/chord_cobra.htm What do you mean by they are standard RCA plugs but terminated differently?

I noticed on the Atlas website, they have a Atlas Equator MK11 Sub Woofer cable which they say is the subwoffer version of their award winning stereo interconnect version. http://www.atlascables.com/index.php?id=94 Does this mean that a standard analogue audio interconnect is not suitable to connect the AV Receiver to the subwoofer?

How about using a coaxial cable?

Thanks.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I use a Chord Crimson personally. According to the website, the subwoofer version is designed for longer lengths than the standard analogue interconnect of the Crimson (given most people position their sub significantly further away from the amp than their CD player for example). There's a list of the ones hificables.co.uk sell here to get some names and you can then see if anyone has done any reviews on them.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Prof. Funny that the Chord website does not have anything on the subwoofer version of the crimson.

Why is it that my B&W PV1 manual states to use a coaxial cable which is essentially a digital cable rather than the standard analogue cable?

A

Anonymous

Oh, I see. Thanks Daveh.

So, the standard analogue cables will do just fine then.

Do you know whay we use digital cables to connect the amp to the source components to experience "digital" sound but analogue cables to the speakers and subwoofer?

All this terminology is just so confusing...

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I use the QED performance miniature. Works fine for me, very flexible which is handy due to the location of the sockets on the PV1.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
seakingadvice:
Do you know whay we use digital cables to connect the amp to the source components to experience "digital" sound but analogue cables to the speakers and subwoofer?

Ummm...because the signal from most home cinema components to AV amps/receivers is transmitted digitally, while the signal from amps to speakers and subs is analogue?

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:I use the QED performance miniature. Works fine for me, very flexible which is handy due to the location of the sockets on the PV1.

Hi Chris,

What's the difference between the mini and the full sized version? Would the full sized version also work given the location of the sockets on the PV1?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
seakingadvice:
Do you know why we use digital cables to connect the amp to the source components to experience "digital" sound but analogue cables to the speakers and subwoofer?

Ummm...because the signal from most home cinema components to AV amps/receivers is transmitted digitally, while the signal from amps to speakers and subs is analogue?

So "digital" coaxial cables can be used to transmit both digital and analogue signals i.e. they can be used to connect digital home cinime components to AV amps BUT "analogue" coaxial can only be used to connect amps to subs/speakers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts