Best stereo vintage amplifiers ?

insider9

Many thread like this all over Internet. All it does it leads to increase in second hand prices. Are you already looking for another amp?

I love vintage and old hifi because of it's insane value for money would like to keep it that way :)

gasolin

insider9 said:
Many thread like this all over Internet. All it does it leads to increase in second hand prices. Are you already looking for another amp?

I love vintage and old hifi because of it's insane value for money would like to keep it that way :)

So the best budget amp on facebook and thought which is the best vintage amplifers, i think the nad 3020 is on the list, but what about the rest?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't buy an original NAD3020 amplifier. It's a relatively poor sounding unit.

An earlier NAD 160 receiver would be better. As would one of the better / top of the range Japanese or American amps. Sony, Trio, JVC, Pioneer, Hitachi, Heathkit etc etc etc

Buy whatever you fancy after doing some Google research and making sure it's selling at a good (cheap) price.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'd like something from

Musical Fidelity (Nu Vista)

Electrocompaniet

Quad

Luxman

Accuphase

Sugden

Sansui

Mc Intosh

Leak

Krell

Conrad Johnson

Mark Levinson

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Also be aware of possible speaker matching issues.

For example my 1972 Akai receiver sounds fine dynamically with efficient, 1972, 8 ohm speakers. With 2015, inefficient, 4 ohm speakers it sounded like the it was having a hard time - dynamically shut-in.

How vintage is the OP going back?

Back in the 70s Quad had a great reputation, as did Pioneer, JVC....

I had the Pioneer SA-706, which retailed in 1976 for £170 IIRC. Kept it for 17 years.

More recently, Arcam Alpha 10 had a great rep, as did early Roksans....

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
but 10 years old. The parasound HCA1206 goes for USD 500/- on flea bay. And in bridged mode puts out 350Wx2 into 8 ohms. A real bargain if you are looking for serious power at a reasonable budget.

Already a list I can recognise from Cno, I tend to think of Japanese designs with power meters when I hear 'vintage'.

What I'm never too sure of is how closely they perform to their original spec, without the aid of an expert at rebuilding or refurbishing.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I thought you'd be interested. Thats why I reposted :)

They crop up frequently on American ebay. Don't know if international shipping is undertaken or not. As I've never used that site before.

nopiano said:
Already a list I can recognise from Cno, I tend to think of Japanese designs with power meters when I hear 'vintage'.

What I'm never too sure of is how closely they perform to their original spec, without the aid of an expert at rebuilding or refurbishing.

Some of the most useful 'vintage' amps to my mind are the likes of Quad tube amps that are easily serviced by a decent electrician and do not contain any components that are no longer made or have equivalents available.

When you start replacing capacitors and op amps in old equipment with their modern equivalents you start to lose some of that original essence.

gasolin

plastic penguin said:
How vintage is the OP going back?

Back in the 70s Quad had a great reputation, as did Pioneer, JVC....

I had the Pioneer SA-706, which retailed in 1976 for £170 IIRC. Kept it for 17 years.

More recently, Arcam Alpha 10 had a great rep, as did early Roksans....

not shure let's say from the 80's or old

Like if you want to go for a vintage amp, what to go for, you could just go for a nad 3020, like a vintage car you could go for a mini or beetle and thats it but not all want mini or beetle or a nad 3020 but still want a vintage amp (or car)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
Some of the most useful 'vintage' amps to my mind are the likes of Quad tube amps that are easily serviced by a decent electrician and do not contain any components that are no longer made or have equivalents available.

When you start replacing capacitors and op amps in old equipment with their modern equivalents you start to lose some of that original essence.
Get a vintage amp with no op amps in.

There's plenty of them about.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts