best stand mount speakers at low volume

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
What David's said is pretty much on the money. I've always purchased my gear knowing it will mostly be played at low/idling levels. Whether they sound equally as impressive at wall-shaking levels is another thing altogether. I've never gone beyond 10 O'clock on the volume dial.

plastic penguin said:
What David's said is pretty much on the money. I've always purchased my gear knowing it will mostly be played at low/idling levels. Whether they sound equally as impressive at wall-shaking levels is another thing altogether. I've never gone beyond 10 O'clock on the volume dial.

I concur, a very good assessment and write up. I too have very rarely felt the need to crank the volume pot above 10 o'clock position. My equipment will go much higher I know but a decent amp and efficient speakers make this requirement unnecessary.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
It's a balancing act. You can create a speaker that sounds as good as you can possibly get at higher volumes, but at lower volumes it can be a bit of a dog. Gear your speakers for low/average level listening and they can be tiring or boring at higher volumes. Get somewhere in the middle and be jack of all trades. Some manufacturers just design their speakers to be neutral, regardless of any other variables...Unfortunately, more people are obsessed with price and specs than using their own ears to find out exactly what is needed to make the most of their own enjoyment of music.

Valid points. Interestingly, my MA R270HD floorstanders and Ruark Epilogue II's share the same sensitivity (87db), but are incomparable at low volumes, although the MA's had smaller drivers despite being a floorstander which might explain the extra welly they needed.

Some if this balancing act you mentioned is very much down to amp/speaker matching. My Ruarks were too forward at high volumes with my old Cambridge amp, but are just about right at low to medium-high volumes on the end of the Pioneer. I admit to never listening at truly high volumes though. Neighbours and indeed my own ears would object.

Amp/speakers/room/positioning - the fact that there are so many variables is what makes this game as interesting (& at times frustrating) as it is. And that's before you add the biggest variable of all - personal taste!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts