Best Speakers for Rega Brio-R

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I would like a opinion from you guys:

I believe most of you I will advice with the speakers of Rega but i didn't like the Rega Rs3 or rs5 that i've done the audition.
I love my monitor audio B4, oldies but the more i ear other speakers, more i like what I've at home!
But actually I would like to buy new speakers to go along with the new Rega Brio R, and I want to give that hi end flavor. I've a AV receiver and the new speakers must be capable to serve the Yamaha RX-V 750 as well.

With1000/1200€ budget I've thought:

MA RX6
MA GX100 (bit more)
EPOS Epic 5
Epos Elan 15 or 30
B&W 683 (bit more) I've heard that B&W's and Brio r don't get along...

I know that i've to audition them first but all I want for now is a litle brain storm on the subject...

I prefer floorstanders but If must be standmounts they have be large, but i would like to have a refined,clean, warm sound... Any sugestions beyond this...?

A

Anonymous

kef r300's are amazing standmounts and sound excellent with the brio-r, i had some on demo a few weeks ago and i would highly recommend them.

A

Anonymous

Among the list, the only one I'd avoid is B&W 683. It's not the most natural sound ...

Rega's amplifiers are neutral to warm, so it's easy to find loudspeakers to partner them. Monitor Audio GX100 is stunning. If you can afford it, you can also try Elac BS243, Spendor S3/5R2, Acousti Energy AE1, Dali Mentor Menuet and ATC SCM11.

I like Epos too. Their bookshelvs sound quite natural and are cheaper than those listed above.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to sidetrack your post but what didn't you like about the RS3's?

I was quite tempted on a blind purchase of these at 450GBP but decided to stick with what I knew (and no complaints at that either).

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Audio Maniac said:
Among the list, the only one I'd avoid is B&W 683. It's not the most natural sound ...

Rega's amplifiers are neutral to warm, so it's easy to find loudspeakers to partner them. Monitor Audio GX100 is stunning. If you can afford it, you can also try Elac BS243, Spendor S3/5R2, Acousti Energy AE1, Dali Mentor Menuet and ATC SCM11.

I like Epos too. Their bookshelvs sound quite natural and are cheaper than those listed above.

Regarding the ATC SCM11 will be my first choice if I choose standmounts and MA GX100 (I have to schedule an audition) and XTX 99.26. in regard to the Spendor S3/5R2 think are very small, and What i really like are A5, but are out of my budget ... EPOS are cheaper and I think I'm falling in love with the EPIC 5 ...

Cheers AM

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Sizzers

i didn't like them at all, sounded like two boxes, i've even't hear a full music, asked to change them asap, that i couldn't do the audition with them. then they changed to RS5, much better but not for me! that's the history. My Monitor Audio B4 are so much better.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Hi Sizzers i didn't like them at all, sounded like two boxes, i've even't hear a full music, asked to change them asap, that i couldn't do the audition with them. then they changed to RS5, much better but not for me! that's the history. My Monitor Audio B4 are so much better.

Thanks for the reply.

My listening environment and circumstances - i.e. bass - wouldn't haven't accomadated them. I was only curious as they are always so well recommended here and elsewhere with the Brio that's all. I've never experienced floor standers to be honest, but the price almost made me have a punt!

A

Anonymous

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Hi Sizzers i didn't like them at all, sounded like two boxes, i've even't hear a full music, asked to change them asap, that i couldn't do the audition with them. then they changed to RS5, much better but not for me! that's the history. My Monitor Audio B4 are so much better.

+1 i had the exact experience with the rs3/rs5's I absolutly hated them and asked the dealer to stop the demo, rega electronics are great but there speakers are easily bettered IMO.

The q500's are great value for money and hit alot of the right spots, the bass i would describe as light and tight, they are detailed and easily placed, they don't image as well as some speakers i have had in the past (pmc db1i), but they have cost double what i paid for the kefs so i can't really complain, I have found that they work imensly well in a home theatre system with sub, and they must be bi-wired/amped to get the best out of them IMO, well worth an audition.

my next speakers will be the Kef R300's without question, they are stunning!

A

Anonymous

I used to be a fan of KEF's loudspeakers. Traditionally, Tannoy's models sounds sweet and warm, but its recent products let me suspicious. I can't realize what happened with KEF when designing iQ and XQ Series. XQ Series loudspeakers sound edged and cold, with poor harmonics and so the iQ Series. The latter is reasonable as entry level products, but the former's performance is unacceptable. Perhaps it's due to tangerine tweeter.

I haven't auditioned the new Q300, but if this model reminds the XQ Series tonal balance, there's no way of recommending them.

matthewpiano

Audio Maniac said:

+1 The Epos M5i are extraordinary and some of the end of line deals have been fantastic.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I would have thought that the Spendor S3/5R would be a great match for the Brio-R, but you might find them a bit lacking in bass if you prefered the MA B4's to the Rega Speakers.

I would have though that the ATC SCM11 would warrant an amp with more current than the Brio-R.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
I would have thought that the Spendor S3/5R would be a great match for the Brio-R, but you might find them a bit lacking in bass if you prefered the MA B4's to the Rega Speakers.

I would have though that the ATC SCM11 would warrant an amp with more current than the Brio-R.

I think the same as you in regardering ATC SCM11, but after reading all the reviews online about Brio R, I come to the conclusion that the little guy can do some wonders with regard to power some demanding speakers. About the Spendors + 1!

I've got some homework to do know....

Cheers

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm very curious if someone actually tested the Brio R with the Spendor A5's. They have a low sensitivity, but they're awesome speakers...

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
spockfish said:
I'm very curious if someone actually tested the Brio R with the Spendor A5's. They have a low sensitivity, but they're awesome speakers...

Spendor A5 awesome? yes
sound beautifully? perhaps
I heard it already? not
are expensive? yes
if I bought them blindly? yes
but as life is not made ​​of whims... :wall:

A

Anonymous

I just hooked my Rega Brio-R up to a pair of Tannoy DC6T's and I am very happy with the result. Bargain price at under £600!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Right now i'm listening Diana Krall LP "When I Look in Your Eyes" through my Rega DAC, and it seem's i've a completely different set up. my MA B4 and Yamaha AV receiver (pure direct) sound like nothing else i've heard (through this set up). and i'm just wandering how should all sound with the Brio R. I think tomorow DAC will have next to him his "best friend"...!

A

Anonymous

after demoing various speakers including pmc db1i's,spendor,monitor audio and kef R300 & R100 for my room which is 15ft x 15ft the KEF R100's were the perfect partner for my rega brio-r & rega dac.

The pmc's were lightweight in the bass department and sounded a tad bright and did not image as well as i had hoped for, which suprised me as i have had these speakers before with my naim xs and they worked very well together.

Spendor S3/5R2 was detailed and a quality made speaker but with the brio-r in my set up it was very bright and did not work.

Kef R300's are superbly put together and sounded amazing, plenty of bottom end yet crystal clarity with stunning soundstage and imaging, at £1000 these are an absolute bargain and will scare the competition at double the price, unfortunatly for me they were just too big for my space...

so finally i was given the choice of listening to the kef R100's in my local stores demo room, from the off these just speakers sounded amazing, they jelled with the brio-r and produced the sound i have been searching for, they are clean and tight in the bass with great imaging and immediatly capture your attention, the build quality is superb and i decided to go for the gloss black finish which for me looked amazing.

for me kef have produced something special with the R range and WHF Should review these ASAP...not that they will!
DSC01256.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
THESTIG08 said:
after demoing various speakers including pmc db1i's,spendor,monitor audio and kef R300 & R100 for my room which is 15ft x 15ft the KEF R100's were the perfect partner for my rega brio-r & rega dac.

The pmc's were lightweight in the bass department and sounded a tad bright and did not image as well as i had hoped for, which suprised me as i have had these speakers before with my naim xs and they worked very well together.

Spendor S3/5R2 was detailed and a quality made speaker but with the brio-r in my set up it was very bright and did not work.

Kef R300's are superbly put together and sounded amazing, plenty of bottom end yet crystal clarity with stunning soundstage and imaging, at £1000 these are an absolute bargain and will scare the competition at double the price, unfortunatly for me they were just too big for my space...

so finally i was given the choice of listening to the kef R100's in my local stores demo room, from the off these just speakers sounded amazing, they jelled with the brio-r and produced the sound i have been searching for, they are clean and tight in the bass with great imaging and immediatly capture your attention, the build quality is superb and i decided to go for the gloss black finish which for me looked amazing.

for me kef have produced something special with the R range and WHF Should review these ASAP...not that they will!
DSC01256.jpg

Glad you found the perfect match, which should help other Brio owners in the same boat.

I have also heard the R series (R700), and totally agree with your opinion.

:cheers:

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts