best speakers for onkyo 705/805

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys,

Ok, im about to delve into the world of home cinema seperates.

I'm pretty much decided on either the Onkyo 705 or 805 - a lot will depend on what kind of money I spend on the speakers and what deal I can get.

After What Hi-Fi had the KEF 3005se's win it's comparison with the Tannoy Arena Lites I am swayed towards the Kefs and A-1 sound have a pretty good package deal on the onkyo plus the KEFS. However - after looking around a few forums another speaker package has been thrown into the mix - the Monitor Audio BR5AV's. I know the styling is different if I'm honest, it's performance over style every time for me, and the monitors look pretty good anyway!

Any advice or opinions would be greatly received. I don't want to rush into a decision as they're an investment that I inted to last for years to come. I'm looking to spend around £1,500 - £1,800 max.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

if it helps, i have a pair of ma br5's at the front bi wired, ma br cntr, pair of ma brfx as side spkrs, pair of ma br2's at the rear and the ma brw10 sub. I use vivanco spkr wire and i have absolutely no complaints with movies whatsoever. In fact i hear more detail in film and music than i expected, hearing detail previously missing. The spkrs and cables cost a total of £1600 for a 7.1. They are also v musical and got 5* reviews. All in all im v v happy with them.

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Cheers fella - that's really usefull!
emotion-2.gif

If I'm honest - eberything I've read seems to suggest that the very small difference in price is well worth it as the MA BR5av set is much better than the Kef 3005se's - although I can't comment cause I haven't heard either of them.

Can I ask what is probably a stupid question? You have different rears compared to your side speakers - why did you go for that and not 4 of the brfx's?

Also, what do you mean by bi-wired? - see I really am a complete novice.

Finally, I beleive that the 875 upscales to full 1080p wheras the 805 doesn't. Is it worth the extra £200 or would a separate £200 upscaling dvd player do a better job?

Any advice from anyone would be much much appreciated.

Cheers in advance

nads

the 875 upscales but the 805 only upconverts.

If you have an upscaling DVD player or an HD DVD or BD player then upscaling is a bit of an excess as you do not need it. (even though it is said to be very good).

so what do you want from your amp?

nads

[quote user="biggus_1961"]Hey NAD'S, slightly off topic but how do you rate the Onkyo 805 after having the NAD 744 ?[/quote]Mmm not used it that much yet, the main reason i got it was for the HDMI ports! Also not really sat down and thought about it.

A

Anonymous

i originally bought the br2 package and was impressed, but 3 weeks after i got it i heard the br5's and had to have them (luckily ive a big room). I put the brfx at the sides as they fire sound in 2 directions and the br2's at the back which is a bit overkill really. As for bi wire: there are 2 pairs of terminals on the back of the spkrs with each pair connected with a metal bar. If you run 2 pair of leads into each spkr from ur amp or receiver and remove the metal bar its "bi wired". Apparently the sound is better. It is explained in full in the spkr boxes.

nads

[quote user="biggus_1961"]Hey NAD'S, slightly off topic but how do you rate the Onkyo 805 after having the NAD 744 ?[/quote] Right, just done "Blood diamond" and the third Matrix HD DVD. the sound is very good, the power excellent.But i would hazard a guess that if you took one of NAD's higher level AMPs the result would be similar (but more costly). set up was easier than with my NAD and i has now removed the annoying issue of the surround remote also turning on the HiFi amps! the NAD is not going anywhere other than to become the center of the bedroom system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts