Best speaker cable to run under carpet?

PaulShaw01

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi there

I'm just moving into a new flat and putting in new carpets. The opportunity is there to run speaker cables under the carpet and keep my wife happy.

Can you recommend a good cable that (ideally flat) that will go well with Dali Ikon 1 surround speakers, and a Denon 2310 surround amplifier?

Cheers

Paul

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
In my experience, flat cables tend to sound pretty flat too (as in bass light)

I'd also consider the risk that if in the future somone manages to puncture and link the positive and negative then you could blow your amplifier

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
What are you thinking of in terms of budget? How far do the cables need to run?

I found the unjacketed version of Chord Odyssey 2 very unobtrusive under the carpet, but the much cheaper Van Damme cable that aliEnRIK recommends isn't far behind, both in terms of sonic ability and carpet-friendliness.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:Ortophon spk 300

Interesting choice (if spelled wrong). Have you tried said cables?

They dont appear to be on their own site and the 200 and 400s certainly dont look like theyd look and feel nice under a carpet

What IS of interest to me is the composition. OCC copper which ive been looking for ages for (Although im not happy theyve silver plated it)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
scene:ESP2009:
PaulShaw01@hotmail.com:I need about 35mtrs

Yike!!!!

Is that in one run, or total - i.e. about 18m to each rear speaker?

If the latter, then I'd recommend some QED Incognito One, which can be had on 20m spools from Superfi for £11.95 a spool. QED Incognito One 20m

You recommend it because youve tried it?

scene

aliEnRIK:scene:ESP2009:
PaulShaw01@hotmail.com:I need about 35mtrs

Yike!!!!

Is that in one run, or total - i.e. about 18m to each rear speaker?

If the latter, then I'd recommend some QED Incognito One, which can be had on 20m spools from Superfi for £11.95 a spool. QED Incognito One 20m

You recommend it because youve tried it?

I needed 2x15m runs for my rear speakers, and on recommendation from Pindi (IIRC) I purchased 2x20m reels of QED One from Superfi. Seems to do the business, 99.999% OFC, no silver, very flexible. Small prize if you can find it on the QED website directly (you can do it from google). Very happy with it, particularly at the price
emotion-21.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

Thaiman:Ortophon spk 300

Interesting choice (if spelled wrong). Have you tried said cables?

They dont appear to be on their own site and the 200 and 400s certainly dont look like theyd look and feel nice under a carpet

What IS of interest to me is the composition. OCC copper which ive been looking for ages for (Although im not happy theyve silver plated it)

spelled wrong? You could say that on every posts I made
emotion-5.gif

and yes, I am using the very ortofon in my pub and restaurant. I would never recomended anything on any forum unless I have heard or use them myself. All I can say is they are very durable, many people have walk over them not to mention tables and chairs! no problem so far. The sound is a lot better than the standard 50p per metre jobby we use to have but I suppose my customers wouldn't care any way. I bought them from Henley design who also have plenty of goodies for sale (now and again) for very reasonable price.

Now O.P is telling us that he will need 35 metre (and for a surrounds channels) so my advise is to get the cheapest rolls of cables you can find!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Thaiman

I would certainly expect OCC copper to outperform cheapie cables

I dont wish to pry, im just intrigued - may I ask which pub/restaurant you own?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

Cheers Thaiman

I would certainly expect OCC copper to outperform cheapie cables

I dont wish to pry, im just intrigued - may I ask which pub/restaurant you own?

The Crawfish Inn in North Norfolk (away from any civilisation...nr Holt). My chef is pretty good (according to my wife's waist line)
emotion-7.gif

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I use Profigold Hi Performance Flatflex Speaker Cable sits, nice & flat, did the job for me under my carpet, even though its probably not the best cable in the world.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts