Best Sounding Class D?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Nick_B

Mar 13, 2022
Visit site
I would look at NAD
Yeah I just tried out the new C399 and it was awesome (I thought, noob alert) and has purported benefit of being upgradeable in future. Better sounding that the v1 M10 I thought. Sadly, it's a big box -- just too big for our cabinet and I don't think cutting the back out of the furniture is going to be met with approval...
So I'm waiting on a m10v2 to try out.
But yeah, great clean sound and seems like good value 'trickle down' from the m33.

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
So guys I am a little excited. My local dealer told me they are shipped(ATC SCM40A)

meanwhile he was so kind sending me demo of ATC SCM19 latest model. Well…hmmm… sounded just like SCM7 but not so tight. But a little bigger in sound.

I think/expect the ATC SCM40A to do something more….a lot more!

I got a good deal on RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Should I connect them directly to this dac?

So guys I am a little excited. My local dealer told me they are shipped(ATC SCM40A)

meanwhile he was so kind sending me demo of ATC SCM19 latest model. Well…hmmm… sounded just like SCM7 but not so tight. But a little bigger in sound.

I got a good deal on RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Should I connect them directly to this dac?
That would probably depend on what exactly your sources are going to be because as far as I am aware it is not a DAC / preamp...... Could be wrong
If you only have one source then yes.

Its a ok sound. Features/menu are excellent though.

Im saving money for Weiss DAC.

I just wanted to know If I can connect the RME straight to the ATC SCM40A(active speakers)
The manual should tell you if it has analogue output surely, I believe it has, that's why I asked if it has a volume control as you'll need to adjust that analogue output......
However I don't know what the SCM40A have in the way of an input jack
EDIT: just seen it has balanced xLR so you'll need a pair of XLR to XLR cables

Last edited:
Reactions: CleanCopperz

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
The manual should tell you if it has analogue output surely, I believe it has, that's why I asked if it has a volume control as you'll need to adjust that analogue output......
However I don't know what the SCM40A have in the way of an input jack
EDIT: just seen it has balanced xLR so you'll need a pair of XLR to XLR cables

ok. But what about quality xlr cables?

manicm

Firstly, the idea that you only need a few watts per metre is a fallacy. Like a car you run out of torque to overtake, a few watts will sound strained when the music calls for dynamic range. So I don't ever want to hear such nonsense again.

Now with that out of the way, I'm going to offer a leftfield choice, depending on the speaker you'll use - the Sonos Amp. With a genuine 125w/8 ohms, and real 4 ohms compatibility this little wonder has been a dark horse since its release.

One caveat though, if you want a sub it seems to only work well with Sonos' own Sub, which is no bad thing really.

Tinman1952

Firstly, the idea that you only need a few watts per metre is a fallacy. Like a car you run out of torque to overtake, a few watts will sound strained when the music calls for dynamic range. So I don't ever want to hear such nonsense again.
😂 Only slightly pompous....

I agree more watts is a good thing but how many do actually need?
As you well know it very much depends on the type of music you listen to and especially it's recorded dynamic range. Also the sensitivity of your speakers and your preferred listening levels. Bass heavy techno has about 50 times the power requirement compared to a classical string quartet.

View: https://youtu.be/N2LPcU35r50

Gray

demo of ATC SCM19 latest model. Well…hmmm… sounded just like SCM7 but not so tight. But a little bigger in sound.

All things being equal SCM40A's are capable of more....a lot more (y)

Btw, if you're going to be using a DAC/Pre and want to hear best from SCM40A's then in my experience EMM Labs/Meitner Audio's DAC/Pre's are also worth a look :)

Reactions: CleanCopperz

Tinman1952

All different lengths, loads of pretty colours to choose from and Neutrik XLRs:
Agreed. I've used these and they are excellent quality...👍

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts