Best Sounding Class D?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
The active is clearly better. I’ve heard them alongside each other at a friend’s house, and he was using an ~£8000 Audia Flight integrated amp to power the passives. I own the passives and they’re a terrific speaker. But the active is more transparent and sounds more relaxed too.

If I had £7400 to spend on a power amp and speakers the actives are an easy preference.

Thanks for the information/experience. I wrote email to my local dealer. I think I can change to the Active.

this class d conversation ended in A/B. I am sorry for the inconvenience guys.

I totally misunderstod the AB. They will not use mere power than the total 242watt pr speaker right?

Last edited:

shadders

i just found out that the SCM40A uses only 40watt in idle, so it is 80w and not 120w....in total
Hi,
If you examine the Hypex NC400 amplifier, it will idle at 5watts. So, for a 3 way, 2 speaker system, the total power idle will be 30watts. This is why i decided to use class D amplification instead of Class AB for my active speakers.
I totally misunderstod the AB. They will not use mere power than the total 242watt pr speaker right?
It is possible to use this peak output power all at the same time, but highly improbable due to the spectral content of music. At domestic listening levels, then the power used for SPL will be less than 10watts. As such, you will be using more idle watts than you will be using music related power dissipation.

If you are ok with 80watts idle power, then don't worry about the total power of the system when used to the maximum, as you will, for domestic listening levels, not use it.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: CleanCopperz

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Just read the Stereonet review of the Benchmark and it’s very positive. One question, though. Isn’t the combined cost of the Benchmark + SCM40 close to the SCM40a?

I want to thank you for this comment. It made me open my eyes. You triggered the curiousity and I actually see/listen to this:
View: https://youtu.be/Ms0WLy7dAlk

No doubt active it is. A little more energi. I will save that energi other place in my apartment.

Thank you🙏

Hi,
If you examine the Hypex NC400 amplifier, it will idle at 5watts. So, for a 3 way, 2 speaker system, the total power idle will be 30watts. This is why i decided to use class D amplification instead of Class AB for my active speakers.

It is possible to use this peak output power all at the same time, but highly improbable due to the spectral content of music. At domestic listening levels, then the power used for SPL will be less than 10watts. As such, you will be using more idle watts than you will be using music related power dissipation.

If you are ok with 80watts idle power, then don't worry about the total power of the system when used to the maximum, as you will, for domestic listening levels, not use it.

Regards,
Shadders.

I am so thankful for the fast replies and experience. It made me more comfortable now. I mostly have my HiFiMAN Aryas on during the week. So Its not everyday I have the speakers on.

And…
@nopiano
Thank you for sharing the experience of the active vs passive.

My local dealer changed the order. Actives are on the way.

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Well, I can tell you they’re stunning. You won’t be disappointed.

Thanks, thats great to hear, its a pretty big jump from SCM7. I don’t have the greatest DAC(SMSL SANSKRIFT 10thMK2)

what could be worth for a DAC upgrade?

INPUT needed
toslink optical input from TV
USB input from Computer

Any recommendations?

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I want to thank you for this comment. It made me open my eyes. You triggered the curiousity and I actually see/listen to this:
View: https://youtu.be/Ms0WLy7dAlk

No doubt active it is. A little more energi. I will save that energi other place in my apartment.

Thank you🙏

I am so thankful for the fast replies and experience. It made me more comfortable now. I mostly have my HiFiMAN Aryas on during the week. So Its not everyday I have the speakers on.

And…
@nopiano
Thank you for sharing the experience of the active vs passive.

My local dealer changed the order. Actives are on the way.

It sounds like you’ve made the right choice! I failed to mention earlier that I moved from ATC SCM11 + Nord Hypex amp to a pair of Acoustic Energy AE1a active speakers (recently changing these to Hedd type 05 + sub). I’ve never heard the SCM40a but from the wisdom of others, they always tend to sound better than their passive siblings whatever amp the passives are paired with. Enjoy your active ATCs - they will sound tremendous!

shadders

Best sounding Class D is like saying Best tasting trash!

Class D sounds worse than Class A and AB. Fact.
Hi,
That is a subjective statement.

Here is a review (measurement) of a low power (55watts) class D amplifier costing $72 based on the Texas Instruments TPA3255 (can go up to 300watts)
Here is a review of the Naim Supernait (2008) :
The Supernait amplifying a 50Hz sinewave generates a lot of distortion, which is dominated by 2nd harmonic (-72dB). There is power supply bleed through at the same level (3rd harmonic of the US power supply frequency 60Hz).

Simply put, the Naim Supernait is designed to have a poor performance for 2nd order harmonics to dominate, as they sound "nice" to the ear. The 180Hz bleed through is very poor engineering.

What people consider good and bad is based on their preference. Naim amplifiers are lauded as being the best based on their sound, but only for those who like harmonic distortion. Some people like a pure sound, but those amplifiers are termed lifeless by others.

There is no bad sound, just a preferred sound.

Regards,
Shadders.

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
It sounds like you’ve made the right choice! I failed to mention earlier that I moved from ATC SCM11 + Nord Hypex amp to a pair of Acoustic Energy AE1a active speakers (recently changing these to Hedd type 05 + sub). I’ve never heard the SCM40a but from the wisdom of others, they always tend to sound better than their passive siblings whatever amp the passives are paired with. Enjoy your active ATCs - they will sound tremendous!

There is a signature voice of the mid I found characteristic. I love the drumsound from the woofer. I can point them out in a blindtest.

you actually upgraded to cheaper(price) options? I just looked them up. I might also try them out for a desktop setup

Thanks, thats great to hear, its a pretty big jump from SCM7. I don’t have the greatest DAC(SMSL SANSKRIFT 10thMK2)

what could be worth for a DAC upgrade?

INPUT needed
toslink optical input from TV
USB input from Computer

Any recommendations?
Not from me, I’m afraid. I’ve never knowingly bought a DAC that wasn’t included by whoever made my streamer, CD player, mobile/cell phone, iPad, etc.
I know some folks who use DACs directly into active speakers, if they possess a good volume control that’s easily adjustable. But you need to choose with care. I’d suggest starting fresh thread for the DAC question.

Best sounding Class D is like saying Best tasting trash!

Class D sounds worse than Class A and AB. Fact.
I would say please clarify but I know you are simply a n opinionated person....
So I will not.
comparing a good class D with a similarly priced A B I very much doubt you could tell the difference in a blind test.

Last edited:

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
There is a signature voice of the mid I found characteristic. I love the drumsound from the woofer. I can point them out in a blindtest.

you actually upgraded to cheaper(price) options? I just looked them up. I might also try them out for a desktop setup
Yes - my ‘upgrade’ was actually cheaper than the passive amp + speakers. I must admit that I’ve been smitten by actives and doubt whether I’ll ever go back to passives (never say never, though).
You’ll know what I mean when those ATCs arrive 😀
As for the little AE1a, they are incredible for the money - if at some point you’re looking for a second system, you couldn’t go far wrong with those little beauties.

I know some folks who use DACs directly into active speakers, if they possess a good volume control that’s easily adjustable. But you need to choose with care. I’d suggest starting fresh thread for the DAC question.

Only extensive experience of ATC active monitors can reveal how to achieve the best performance from SCM40A's with direct drive from a DAC/Pre :)

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Yes - my ‘upgrade’ was actually cheaper than the passive amp + speakers. I must admit that I’ve been smitten by actives and doubt whether I’ll ever go back to passives (never say never, though).
You’ll know what I mean when those ATCs arrive 😀
As for the little AE1a, they are incredible for the money - if at some point you’re looking for a second system, you couldn’t go far wrong with those little beauties.

I remember once I had Adam S2 if I remember correctly. There was a specific song where I could hear an element more clearly, ever since I could not find a speaker that could reproduce that element. It was one of those moments of experiencing a good mid-high quality. Forever in my mind. I even tried the SCM19 at home long time ago with tube poweramp(dual mono) worth 20.000 dollar. I did not get this sound from the smaller Adams either. I had those S2 for a short time, they were too expensive for me to keep, only for testing. Everytime I find a new speaker this song with the element comes to my mind and I just have to hear if it can produce it.

The Adam makes good tweeter, but I find the woofer to plasticy in sound. This was over 10 years ago. Have not listen to Adam since

Reactions: Pedro2

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
That is a subjective statement.

Here is a review (measurement) of a low power (55watts) class D amplifier costing $72 based on the Texas Instruments TPA3255 (can go up to 300watts)
Here is a review of the Naim Supernait (2008) :
The Supernait amplifying a 50Hz sinewave generates a lot of distortion, which is dominated by 2nd harmonic (-72dB). There is power supply bleed through at the same level (3rd harmonic of the US power supply frequency 60Hz).

Simply put, the Naim Supernait is designed to have a poor performance for 2nd order harmonics to dominate, as they sound "nice" to the ear. The 180Hz bleed through is very poor engineering.

What people consider good and bad is based on their preference. Naim amplifiers are lauded as being the best based on their sound, but only for those who like harmonic distortion. Some people like a pure sound, but those amplifiers are termed lifeless by others.

There is no bad sound, just a preferred sound.

Regards,
Shadders.
I am an (amateur) musician and I know what instruments sound like.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts