Best Sounding Class D?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I also heard that there is difference in the “quality” of watts. They differ from amp to amp. Low does not mean weak in some cases, says my local dealer.

I don’t hear loud music, so if 20watt class A is enough I will consider it
In the case of ATC, they also recommend a minimum of 75 watts, and it’s no coincidence that their least powerful amp is 100wpc. As explained above, of course it will work with ten watts, but that’s not really using them as intended.
It‘s entirely your choice, but you seem to be flailing around somewhat. One moment you need 300 watts, then 20 will do!

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
This might be a diferent left field option, and it only costs a fraction of the budget. It's worth reading between Amir's gushing lines though and it doesn't come with a remote. As something affordable for me though I am tempted to get one:

Based on '5' usually being Topping's middle of the road range, i'm curious to see what their '7' or '9' range brings when they land.

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
I hear you all. And will check it out. Thank you for the replies/recommendation.

In the case of ATC, they also recommend a minimum of 75 watts, and it’s no coincidence that their least powerful amp is 100wpc. As explained above, of course it will work with ten watts, but that’s not really using them as intended.
It‘s entirely your choice, but you seem to be flailing around somewhat. One moment you need 300 watts, then 20 will do!

I always go for overkill, I know nothing about amps, but wants the best Class D….thats a rule I have to not **** up the speaker😂

my local dealer is ready to send them to me, but he does not have the amp I need, hypex or purifi. He has crown amps though….think they were alot more expensive if I remember correctly

my local dealer is ready to send them to me, but he does not have the amp I need, hypex or purifi. He has crown amps though….think they were alot more expensive if I remember correctly

I wasn’t aware that Crown amps still existed, so I can’t help further. I remember when Crown were mostly designed for PA systems, and had a brief following for Hifi in the 1970s, but I can imagine that the brand lives on in a way I’m unfamiliar with.

Best of luck.

Reactions: Pedro2 and shadders

shadders

Hi,
I checked the amplifiers and it seems that they are a subsidiary of Harman. The marketing literature indicates that the amplifiers are primarily for PA for bands etc.

The THD is quite high at <0.3%, where Purifi will significantly out perform this. They are reasonably cheap at $385 for a 350watts amplifier.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: CleanCopperz

gasolin

I also heard that there is difference in the “quality” of watts. They differ from amp to amp. Low does not mean weak in some cases, says my local dealer.

I don’t hear loud music, so if 20watt class A is enough I will consider it

You will still need a good amoung of dynamic headroom and power for bass heavy music if you have 86 db speakers

It looks like the SCM40 are arriving before the AMP.

right now I only have STA-1000D amp. On paper it is powerful. But I still need some experienced input🙌
I’ve never heard of STA-1000D but Mr Google says it’s a Sledge sub-woofer amplifier. Is that correct?

If so, I’d ask whoever is supplying your ATCs to lend you something, or at least to explain if you can use your Sledge.

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Hmmm. People hype the pascal module(sta1000d) though. Dutch and dutch 8c had them in there speakers….5000euro speakers…

my supplier said he included a amp so I could test it. I will ask him which he chosed on monday.

shadders

It looks like the nc400 is legacy now. Will the nc500 replace it?
Hi,
NC400 is still available :
Regards,
Shadders.

podknocker

If I had the space and funds, the NAD M33 would be my choice, as it's powerful, flexible and upgradable. This should drive any domestic, or even studio monitor loudspeaker, to frightening levels. I think class D is the future. Light, efficient and powerful amps, many of them with great streaming capability included.

Last edited:

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
If I had the space and funds, the NAD M33 would be my choice, as it's powerful, flexible and upgradable. This should drive any domestic, or even studio monitor loudspeaker, to frightening levels. I think class D is the future. Light, efficient and powerful amps, many of them with great streaming capability included.
Does it have same or better feature?

podknocker

I think this amp would provide every feature, you could ever need. I would love one, if I could afford one and had the space to enjoy it. You'd need some expensive speakers, to do it justice and the space to enjoy the speakrs, at high SPLs. You would also need very tolerant, or perhaps, distant, neighbours!

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
I think this amp would provide every feature, you could ever need. I would love one, if I could afford one and had the space to enjoy it. You'd need some expensive speakers, to do it justice and the space to enjoy the speakrs, at high SPLs. You would also need very tolerant, or perhaps, distant, neighbours!
I have ATC SCM40(passive) on the way. I dont listen to loud music. I want quality sound at a conversation level(a little higher)

podknocker

I must have read everything written, about these speakers, online and I'm sure they will be stunning, at the end of a powerful, clean sounding amp. I don't think you will find a more satisfying musical experience. Have you considered any non class D amps, like the Hegel 190 for example? High power and damping factor. Should be able to control your speakers, with ease.

Last edited:

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
I must have read everything written, about these speakers, online and I'm sure they will be stunning, at the end of a powerful, clean sounding amp. I don't think you will find a more satisfying musical experience. Have you considered any non class D amps, like the Hegel 190 for example? High power and damping factor. Should be able to control your speakers, with ease.
I am only Class D. But I was thinking of a tube preamp to give it a Class A character…maybe possible?

I can not get myself to waste energy on Class A.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts