best small but beefy PC desktop speakers?

nickholl

Sep 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi

Im looking to get some good sounding speakers for my PC now im working from home more, so i can play music on something better than the rubbish little things i currently have.

My problem is that from what i can see, most are either cheaper and not very good sounding or quite expensive. Ive got a couple of Tannoy studio speakers in my living room https://www.thomann.de/gb/tannoy_re...MIjvXa0tiM7AIVks_tCh0r2gy1EAQYASABEgKEefD_BwE and im very happy with them , they're loud, provide a very full sound and weren't too expensive (not much more than £200)

My question is, is there anything comparable to a couple of studio monitor speakers that would be suitable for the desktop? Like the tannoys but smaller.

A friend recommended some Ruarks - but they're £329 and im not sure they'd approach the quality of the £200 tannoys i have.

Is there anything out there or am I looking for something that doesnt exist?

thanks for your help!
Nick

nickholl

Sep 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys - thanks for the suggestions! To be honest, that Tannoy might be beefy enough at 50w (up till now ive just been using 10w Logitech PC speakers so anything would be better). But will definitely look at all options - thanks!

nickholl

Sep 28, 2020
Visit site
One more question if i may... Would somebody be able to tell me if bi-amped speakers would be much better than non-bi-amped? (im not very well versed in the world of hi-fi)

These speakers are half the price of the tannoys, but arent bi-amped and i was wondering if it would make much difference?

thanks again for your help!

abacus

One more question if i may... Would somebody be able to tell me if bi-amped speakers would be much better than non-bi-amped? (im not very well versed in the world of hi-fi)

These speakers are half the price of the tannoys, but arent bi-amped and i was wondering if it would make much difference?

thanks again for your help!

Technically yes (Most pro speakers have inbuilt internal amplification for each drive unit) unless they have been poorly designed, (I would always spend the extra and go with internal amplification) but they usually are more expensive.

If using them with a computer I would always recommend a proper computer audio interface to get the best out of them, as it will also allow you to set them up exactly to your liking with the software provided with it, (On-board computer amplification is not always the best) however if you are on a tight budget then just plug them into the computer and add a separate audio interface later if you wish.

Bill

nickholl

Sep 28, 2020
Visit site
Technically yes (Most pro speakers have inbuilt internal amplification for each drive unit) unless they have been poorly designed, (I would always spend the extra and go with internal amplification) but they usually are more expensive.

If using them with a computer I would always recommend a proper computer audio interface to get the best out of them, as it will also allow you to set them up exactly to your liking with the software provided with it, (On-board computer amplification is not always the best) however if you are on a tight budget then just plug them into the computer and add a separate audio interface later if you wish.

Bill
thanks Bill, what do you mean by audio interface exactly? Im not super fussy about the balancing etc, but now im working from home and can listen to music, i just want to be able to listen to it on something a bit better that basic speakers

thanks again
Nick

nickholl

Sep 28, 2020
Visit site
thanks Bill, what do you mean by audio interface exactly? Im not super fussy about the balancing etc, but now im working from home and can listen to music, i just want to be able to listen to it on something a bit better that basic speakers

thanks again
Nick
oh - i just googled. hmm yeah, not sure i need to get the audio interface just yet. Is this something that those Presonus would have build in?

abacus

oh - i just googled. hmm yeah, not sure i need to get the audio interface just yet. Is this something that those Presonus would have build in?

The Presonus just gives you the basics (The same as most pro monitor speakers) which may be all you need, but there is a lot of software out there (Many of which come free with an audio interface) that you can really go to town with. (I also recommend you get some isolation pads to help isolate the speakers from the desk as they don’t cost much)

Bill

Davywhizz

Sep 30, 2020
Visit site
I've been impressed, much more than I expected, by my current set up in my office, which was a real bargain because the DAC and speakers were both half price at the time (March 2020). It's a Cambridge Audio USB Dacmagic XS with a 3.5mm jack connection to some Steljes NS1 powered speakers (well, one is powered, with a speaker cable out to the left). I put them on some angled Audioengine stands (which were a real rip-off in contrast, vacuum moulded plastic, but an ideal design). The speakers sound remarkably beefy for their size and with great separation/stereo imaging. The only downside, if it is one for you, is that I'd call them near-field monitors, great at the desk but less impressive if you want to sit across the room some of the time. There's a more expensive, higher spec and slightly bigger model called the Steljes NS3 I think. Both come in some great high gloss colours.

Last edited:

dell11

Dec 11, 2020
Visit site
I can suggest top 5 computer speakers based on my experience. Here are the list:

1. Razer Leviathan Sound Bar
2. Harmon Kardon SoundSticks Wireless
3. Creative A250
4. Logitech G560
5. Klipsch R-15PM

In my opinion, they are best computer speakers. you can buy any speakers according to your requirements.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts