Best settings for Playstation 3 blueray audio to connect to onkyo 875 amp

pip1st74

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi can any 1 help. I have a playstation 3 connected to a Onkyo 875 amp,On the what hi-fi spec list it says the ps3 can output a True HD & DTS HD signal,But i never get the either come through on my amp,Infact the amp never changes from the all channel output, Does anybody no where im going wrong & what is the best way of setting up between the two devices.

Thanks

Paul

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
The PS3 can't bitstream HD audio, so you will never see your amp displaying the HD lights on the front. It has to decode internally and output as LPCM. As long as your PS3 is setup as follows you're getting HD audio. It does sound like your setup is correct but to recap:

On the PS3 select sound settings

Select HDMI

Select AUTO

Check that all the Dolby Digital, DTS and all the PCM boxes are ticked (inc. 7.1)

Save

Go to the BD/DVD settings

Select PCM as the audio setting and again save

That
should be it. Set your amp to auto and ensure you select the HD audio
track in the menu and you can see which audio format is being played by
pressing the display button during playback.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
pip1st74:On the what hi-fi spec list it says the ps3 can output a True HD & DTS HD signal

As already stated, it decodes those formats, but outputs them as LPCM. Which is no hardship, of course.

pip1st74

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
One other question, Do you think there would be any benefit in purchasing a stand alone blueray player such as the panny bd-55,Will it add anything quality wise that ps3 dosnt.

Thanks Again

Paul

Ps. Current Set-up is :- Sony Bravia 40w2000,Onkyo 875 amp,Ps3

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm the wrong person to ask re. upgrading from a PS3 as I love it! I personally don't think the current crop of machines add enough to make me want to change the PS3. Yes, they offer marginally better picture and sound quality but the PS3 still loads every disc and every disc quickly. If you don't use the PS3 as a gaming platform, obviously you could sell it on to fund your purchase but if you do game, I would hold off (my personal opinion only) for now until the whole profile nonsense and specs are sorted out. Perhaps later in the year once we have seen what the next gen. machines have to offer, I will look again. Keep an eye on the main webpage for news from CES to see what will be coming out. I'm sure prices will drop on the current machines as some are already being phased out, so if you're after a bargain, keep your eyes peeled.

pip1st74

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
One final thing.The speakers i have connected to my Onkyo 875 are a 9 year old pair of Eltax Symphony 6.2 a Eltax Symphony centre & a pair of Gale Gold surround speakers.

All were purchased when i got my first Amp back in 2000,Do you think this speaker set up is affecting the quality output of my Onkyo 875,If so what could you recommend to make the most of what ive got ?

Room size is 12ft-8ft

Thanks

Paul

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
pip1st74:Do you think this speaker set up is affecting the quality output of my Onkyo 875,If so what could you recommend to make the most of what ive got ?

Just a bit, yes!

I'd be thinking in terms of B&W 685 Theatre as a minimum, and possibly one of the larger 68-series packages for preference.

pip1st74

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Sorry me again, The B&W 684 theatre looks well nice up not quite within my budget, Any sugestions on something abit cheaper or where 2 look for best price B&W speaker packages ?

Thanks

Paul

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
What is your budget? B&W is dealer only I'm afraid and your best bet is to try haggling and perhaps getting one dealer to beat another's prices. Alternatively the MA Bronze setup might suit, ring round for the best prices

http://www.royjowetthomecinema.co.uk/category/Speakers_Speaker+Packages/product/Monitor-Audio-BR5-AV-Package.html

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
pip1st74:On the what hi-fi spec list it says the ps3 can output a True HD & DTS HD signal

As already stated, it decodes those formats, but outputs them as LPCM. Which is no hardship, of course.

Then why does the review state this as a disadvantage against the PS3 "Doesn't stream HD audio via HDMI"? What's wrong with decoding internally instead of letting the amp decode? Thanks!

alfredd

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andrew!

I do have a feeling that the LPCM output over HDMI from the PS3 lacks in dynamics, my Onkyo 805 outputs a more dynamic sound when I bitstream the core audio (downgraded to Dolby Digital or DTS). On LPCM, the sound seems very restrained.

It's a shame the PS3 doesn't output the HD Audio signals via bitstream without decoding. Otherwise it's a supermachine!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, I had been using the Sony PS3 as a Blu-Ray player for a while (sending the audio out as LPCM) and have recently switched to a Sony BDP-S550 which allows me to bitstream the audio and, although I haven't done a thorough test, I can't say I've noticed a world of difference between the two. WHF state the audio from the Sony S550 is better than the PS3 and I believe them, but I think you'd really have to go out of your way to pick up on it (like they do since that's their job!). So I really don't think being able to bitstream the audio is going to have that much effect - certainly not in the way you're looking for in your statements above anyway.

It sounds to me like you just prefer the standard Dolby Digital / DTS soundtracks to the HD versions, a bit like some people prefer the compressed radio sound compared to a CD. It's not unusual, a number of people on the forums have stated their preference for the Dolby Digital soundtrack compared to the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack on the The Dark Knight for example.

alfredd

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
Thanks professorhat.

I was just assuming that my Onkyo TX SR805 woul do a better job of decoding the HD signal than the PS3.

But you're right, it may not make that much of a difference from the bitstream out on the PS3. Still wondering why the feature is not available.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts