Best second hand amp up to £100 ish

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Looking for a second hand amp for very limited use this summer outside have been considering the Pioneer a400 or a300r any other suggestions been looking round eBay plenty of Sony, marantz and denon any worthy looking at? Few people have recommended the bigger sonys to me. Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi

Thanks for the advice I'll look in to those I tried a Pioneer a400 as my friend has one with my Monitor Audio gs10s and worked surprisingly well. It's for BBQ duty so will run the gs10s or my friends Kef concertos.

Thanks

Arcam is a very good match for the GS10s. Alas, the Alpha 7R I mentioned is only 40 watts per channel so it really depends on the volume you're looking for. There are a couple of older Nads which will up the ante, power-wise, but you are setting a tough budget for these particular requirements.

A

Anonymous

Not looking for massive volume to be honest background level, I will look in to the 7r do you have rough idea of price I should go up to? I'm guessing I could potentially add an 8p if I wanted more power in the future? Or is there a slightly higher arcam model worth looking at?
Appreciate your help.

flairdj said:
Not looking for massive volume to be honest background level, I will look in to the 7r do you have rough idea of price I should go up to? I'm guessing I could potentially add an 8p if I wanted more power in the future? Or is there a slightly higher arcam model worth looking at? Appreciate your help.

I still own an Alpha 7 but I wouldn't pay any more than about £60-£70 for one now. Have a look on Ebay - there's a few on there at the mo.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Agreed that Arcam would be a good match - but I'd strongly recommend hunting down an Alpha 9 amplifier - a different league to the 7R and will get so much more out of the GS10's.

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Agreed that Arcam would be a good match - but I'd strongly recommend hunting down an Alpha 9 amplifier - a different league to the 7R and will get so much more out of the GS10's.

True - Alpha 9 will drive the GSs better than the 7R but the OP will be hard pushed to pick one up for around £100, unless it's faulty. From the ones I've seen recently not many are below £200.

T

the record spot

Steve's Hi Fi is worth a visit - if the budget really IS £100, then pick up a Sansui AU-217, which he has for £85. Thereafter, he also has a Sony TAF-540E for £150. The former does 30wpc, but assuming you don't thrash the amp thereby making it clip and thus sound like dreck, you should be fine, the latter deliver 90wpc I think and is a better amp than most would give credit for. That'd be my two.

A

Anonymous

Personally I'd try and add a little more to your budget and get the superb NAD C320BEE integrated

The Arcam Alpha 7 was a good amp but it doesnt have the grunt to power the M/A speakers.

Not sure what the NAD C350's go for but they could be an option as well.

What about some of the older Rotels?

cjackson

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
I'd go fr the A300-400 anyday thats one amazing amp!!!, you generaly can't beat Pioneer kit. I have a Technics SU-V300 and it sounds spot on with any set of speakers really - NAD are awesome amps too the older one sound superb with just about any set of speakers matced with a good CD Player.

Good luck in your hunt.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts