Best satellite speakers

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Moved house and have had to separate my tv and hifi due to size.

Looking at mid range receiver like denon 2300 etc (nothing too fancy)

Now which satellite speakers are best:
Q acoustics 7000
Kef 3005
Bw m1

I already have sub

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
IAM very happy with the QA q7000i paired with the marantz in a 11x17 feet room. They have never sounded like the tiny speakers they actually are. Good scale, clarity and even musicality if that matters. Cheers :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
At these models only 2nd hand on ebay as a very cheap option without subs.
So im wondering who has had experience with these models ive selected. Ill check out the radius also.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Big boss has a monitor audio setup. But all bigger in wall speakers if I remember right.

I have the qacoustics q7000i. But the q7000i is a newer version of the original q7000. And what size of room are you looking to fill as sir benedict had pointed out. The q7000i is supposed to be better than the kef system as per reviews. But between the older q7000 and the Kef egg system I really don't know :)

I had the Monitor Audio Radius HD setup in my previous house. You can get the Radius 90 speakers and pair with a good subwoofer. This will be an amazing setup. A good subwoofer is very important when going for small speakers.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
I had the Monitor Audio Radius HD setup in my previous house. You can get the Radius 90 speakers and pair with a good subwoofer. This will be an amazing setup. A good subwoofer is very important when going for small speakers.

Thanks i already have a very good sub so only looking at small sats due to size

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Big boss has a monitor audio setup. But all bigger in wall speakers if I remember right.

I have the qacoustics q7000i. But the q7000i is a newer version of the original q7000. And what size of room are you looking to fill as sir benedict had pointed out. The q7000i is supposed to be better than the kef system as per reviews. But between the older q7000 and the Kef egg system I really don't know :)
Room is small thats why ive selected small satellites as an option.
The more invisible the speakers and the closer to the walls they are mounted the better.
I must admit the 7000i were on the top of my list before this thread started but ive seen these kefs and bws also.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
davidf said:
Personally, I'd go for the KEF E305 but it's worth considering the SVS Prime Satellites too. 

Have you heard all 3 options?
If so id appreciate some sound feedbackon the 3.

Ive looked before on tbe svs but dont want to spend a lot as its only a semi serious set up in mind or id go for power amps/av pre amps and atc speakers.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I haven't heard the kef's or the b&w's. Maybe mr.davidf can throw some light on them.

I will just think out loud with my less than half baked knowledge. Coming off the whathifi review of the new b&w mt-50 , they have mentioned that the new M1's struggle to fill up large rooms and don't have sufficient scale. And even their bass performance was supposed to be low even though their qouted frequency response is 64 Hz.

I can vouch for the solid slam and bass performance of the q7000lri satellites. They fill my 11x17 ft room effortlessly . Their bass performance is really commendable. And something that I have always marvelled at. But surprisingly their qouted frequency response is only till 95hz. And IAM running them with a cross of over at 120 Hz with amazing results. So maybe the sub is filling up well and too well integrated for me to make out. I really don't know. But if the whathifi review is correct, then qacoustics will be much better than the b&w's for movies.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I tried using the concept 40 floor standers as front LR in my HT setup. And I felt the satellites bettered them in every way for movies. More pace, and don't loose anything in clarity. Maybe a slight reduction in scale, but anyone would struggle to hear that difference. That is the biggest commendation I can give. Maybe you can audition the q7000i in richer sounds or Sevenoaks. The q7000 shouldn't be far off this mark.

I will stop now, lest I start looking like a paid qacoustics pusher here :)

newlash09 said:
I haven't heard the kef's or the b&w's. Maybe mr.davidf can throw some light on them.

I will just think out loud with my less than half baked knowledge. Coming off the whathifi review of the new b&w mt-50 , they have mentioned that the new M1's struggle to fill up large rooms and don't have sufficient scale. And even their bass performance was supposed to be low even though their qouted frequency response is 64 Hz.

I can vouch for the solid slam and bass performance of the q7000lri satellites. They fill my 11x17 ft room effortlessly . Their bass performance is really commendable. And something that I have always marvelled at. But surprisingly their qouted frequency response is only till 95hz. And IAM running them with a cross of over at 120 Hz with amazing results. So maybe the sub is filling up well and too well integrated for me to make out. I really don't know. But if the whathifi review is correct, then qacoustics will be much better than the b&w's for movies.
When you set the crossover to 120Hz, all frequencies below it go to the subwoofer. So it doesn't matter how deep can the satellites go, as all the bass response is a result of the subwoofer. All satellites will struggle to fill up large rooms, but for most living rooms they should be more than adequate.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
newlash09 said:
I tried using the concept 40 floor standers as front LR in my HT setup. And I felt the satellites bettered them in every way for movies. More pace, and don't loose anything in clarity. Maybe a slight reduction in scale, but anyone would struggle to hear that difference. That is the biggest commendation I can give. Maybe you can audition the q7000i in richer sounds or Sevenoaks. The q7000 shouldn't be far off this mark.

I will stop now, lest I start looking like a paid qacoustics pusher here :)
They sound good

A few months ago i visited my brother in germany
He has a slimline cheap marantz av with q acoustics 2000i set up and tbe sound were very impressive.

Samd

bigboss said:
newlash09 said:

When you set the crossover to 120Hz, all frequencies below it go to the subwoofer. So it doesn't matter how deep can the satellites go, as all the bass response is a result of the subwoofer. All satellites will struggle to fill up large rooms, but for most living rooms they should be more than adequate.

Is there any situation where you would recommend the x-over set that high?

If you have smaller speakers, it is recommended to set the a crossover higher. Ellisdj sets his crossovers high (150Hz IIRC).

https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/tips-for-setting-the-proper-crossover-frequency-for-a-subwoofer

Andrewjvt said:
Have you heard all 3 options? If so id appreciate some sound feedbackon the 3.

Ive looked before on tbe svs but dont want to spend a lot as its only a semi serious set up in mind or id go for power amps/av pre amps and atc speakers.
As you know, I'm a fan of KEF's UniQ design, as I find it places sound effects more accurately, and produces a more cohesive soundfield. The current B&W M1s sound much better than the old ones, having a fuller sound, sounding more like a small bookshelf speaker than a satellite speaker.

If you're trying to keep costs down, leave the SVS, as they probably deserve a slightly better amp than the previous two anyway. Not heard the Q Acoustics model, but based on their hi-fi speakers, I always found the likes of Dali made them sound a little dull and flat. Just my opinion, based on numerous demos with Denon mini systems (2010/2020 vs Zensor 1 and 3 models). So maybe have a look at the Fazon Sats.

Any others I'd recommend would be outside of your budget.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
davidf said:
Andrewjvt said:
Have you heard all 3 options? If so id appreciate some sound feedbackon the 3.

As you know, I'm a fan of KEF's UniQ design, as I find it places sound effects more accurately, and produces a more cohesive soundfield. The current B&W M1s sound much better than the old ones, having a fuller sound, sounding more like a small bookshelf speaker than a satellite speaker. 

If you're trying to keep costs down, leave the SVS, as they probably deserve a slightly better amp than the previous two anyway. Not heard the Q Acoustics model, but based on their hi-fi speakers, I always found the likes of Dali made them sound a little dull and flat. Just my opinion, based on numerous demos with Denon mini systems (2010/2020 vs Zensor 1 and 3 models). So maybe have a look at the Fazon Sats.

Any others I'd recommend would be outside of your budget.

For the info
Out of interest whats tbe costs of the svs

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
With mr.david. The Dali's are more lively than the laid back qacoustics. Qacoustics tend to have a smooth refined sound. But trade excitement to get there.

As an alternative, when I was looking for my setup few years back, I was also considering the tannoy hts 101 and monitor audio mass then. Both of them were very well regarded satellite packages . And should be available in the pre-worshiped market now. No clue what the price could be though .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts