Best receiver in stereo mode?

A

Anonymous

Arcam receivers are all ways good in stereo as are the new Onkyos with the pure direct on. try the txsr875 but you will never beat a proper hi-fi amp.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Almost all decent AV amplifiers will have some sort of 'direct' or 'straight' facility which will knock out all video circuitry to avoid it interfering with 2 channel music. While there will be some amplifiers that will shine over others, most notably Arcam (but at the expense of modern features), it will also be down to the sort of speakers being used or the sort of speaker the receiver is capable of driving comfortably. If you need a fully up to date amplifier/receiver, then look at the Yamaha, Denon, and Onkyo models.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for answering. My current set is KEF IQ7, CA 840A amplifier (stereo), and CA 540D DVD (used also for listening CD-s ).

I really like CA 840, but I cant connect PS3 since CA doesnt have Dolby Digital decoder.

Its rather impossible to test receivers with my speakers (except for Denon, one store has both Denon and KEF), my question is: which one would be best for my speakers?
Arcam is the way to go?

John Duncan

I think it would be a waste to replace the 840A with a receiver of any less than about 2000 euros. Get a more modest one with pre-outs, and use that to provide surround, whilst continuing to use the 840A to power the stereo fronts. Cambridge's own 540R has them, and would be a good match aesthetically as well......

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I think it would be a waste to replace the 840A with a receiver of any less than about 2000 euros. Get a more modest one with pre-outs, and use that to provide surround, whilst continuing to use the 840A to power the stereo fronts. Cambridge's own 540R has them, and would be a good match aesthetically as well......

I don't think there is a receiver out there unless you go silly money - like the Denon A1HD's, that will be as good as the 840A for stereo. I agree with John, if you are not worried about HD audio, the CA receivers or my Sony can be had for silly money as all the new receivers offer more spec.

A

Anonymous

I know that receiver cant match stereo performance of a brilliant CA840a, but I dont have enough space to put another device in the living room (TV stand with 3 places). Also, although I rather enjoy listening to CD, its important to mention that I prefer pop music like Madonna etc. So, I believe that rather good receiver wont be that bad after all?

Also, I am listening CD once a week or even a month, but I look TV every day. Since I have IPTV box, with lousy stereo out, i believe that sound will be much better through optical out and receiver for everyday use.

Also, I dont care about HD audio...

Will I make a mistake if I sell CA?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'd definitely look at the Onkyo 875 / 905 for those requirements - even though it does have HD audio, I think most AV receivers at 1000 euros will anyway and it's absolutely fantastic even with plain old Dolby Digital. Musically, it can more than hold its own for occasional listening.

A

Anonymous

If you're just running a stereo set up and arent fussed about surround (you don't mention it), could you not just buy an external DAC and use the PS3's optical out.

Obviously ignore me if you're planning on getting surround speakers too.

A

Anonymous

External DAC? Excellent idea... I dont care at all for 5.1 sound. Although, i would like to have proper 1080p upscaling...

thx u all for responding.

A

Anonymous

Sure, via composite video/audio... I dont have PS3, will buy one. Right now, biggest concern is IPTV Atlanta box. Also, i believe PS3 has lousy stereo out, just like my Atlanta. Also, if I connect atlanta/PS3 via stereo out, my Yamaha subwoofer will be silent... Even in DVD movies.

A

Anonymous

NAD ones arent pretty but theyre really good in stereo and just for music in general.

TRENDING THREADS