Best possible way of connecting speaker to amp!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

im sure this issue been brought up time and time again in the past,but as a relative newcomer to the hifi world im seeking advice from people in the know.

About 6 weeks ago i spent out on the Rega Apollo/Mira 3 combo along with the B&Ws CM1s,Regas own interconnects and Rega mains leads.

My salesman chucked in 2 lengths of 2mtr van den hull flat speaker cable with some cheap and cheerfull banana plugs on the ends.

My issue is that im not entirely happy with this current set up(cable and connection wise) and would like to go for something better,what that would be im not sure so any advice would be great.Ideally something pre terminated would be idea as im a little unsure of soldering etc.

Apoligies once again if this subject has been covered previously.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I don't do soldering or fiddling around with little screws either, which is why I use these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=44099

A

Anonymous

If you've just bought a new hifi and you're unhappy with the sound already, it sounds like you need to talk to your dealer - new banana plugs are not going to transform your system. A good dealer will help you understand why you are unhappy at home (when presumably you were happy on auditioning the kit) and talk about options (poss. exchange/etc)

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Rob_manchester:
If you've just bought a new hifi and you're unhappy with the sound already, it sounds like you need to talk to your dealer - new banana plugs are not going to transform your system. A good dealer will help you understand why you are unhappy at home (when presumably you were happy on auditioning the kit) and talk about options (poss. exchange/etc)

Thought he only said he was unhappy with the connection set-up.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Maybe if you try to explain to the forum what is causing your dissatisfaction? Can you describe what it is that makes you feel there is a problem? What kind of music are you listening to and under what conditions?

A

Anonymous

Sizzers:Rob_manchester:

Ah maybe I misinterpreted. I read the OP as saying he wasn't entirely happy with the sound and he was assuming it was a cable/connection issue. Quite possibly he just isn't happy with the stability of the connections or something unrelated to sound.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Rob_manchester:Sizzers:Rob_manchester:

Ah maybe I misinterpreted. I read the OP as saying he wasn't entirely happy with the sound and he was assuming it was a cable/connection issue. Quite possibly he just isn't happy with the stability of the connections or something unrelated to sound.

Well that's how I read it. Otherwise, good advice!

A

Anonymous

thanks for the response. No prob at all with kit, just wondering if there was a better route to go down other than a bog standard banana plug????

A

Anonymous

The main thing with the plugs is that they're clean and make a good connection. It's worth unplugging/replugging them again every now and then to achieve this (months rather than weeks). Give them a wipe if necessary.

Beyond that, as long as they conduct, you're fine.

A

Anonymous

i think thats where the problem lies,the plugs into the back of the amp are a little sloppy if thats the right word,and if i fiddle about i

can detect a change in sound,for the better on most occasions.

ive seen on hificables a package of chord carnival silverscreen coupled with cobra 3 interconnects,would this be applicable to my sitution!!!!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
rockywebb:
i think thats where the problem lies,the plugs into the back of the amp are a little sloppy if thats the right word,and if i fiddle about i

ive seen on hificables a package of chord carnival silverscreen coupled with cobra 3 interconnects,would this be applicable to my sitution!!!!

Take the plugs off and bare wire them in then.

A

Anonymous

Sizzers:rockywebb:

Take the plugs off and bare wire them in then.

Agree. No good reason to pay good money for plugs if you can connect the bare wire (unless you're swapping speakers around every 5 minutes).

TRENDING THREADS