i prefer it on top.........

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Just took delivery of my new,1st serious effort hifi.I plugged for the mira/apollo Rega pairing along with piano black CM1s,Regas own interconnects and mains leads and some van den hull speaker cable.Absoloutley chuffed to bits with my set up.

My query is this...

I have the above mentioned set up on a gloss black sideboard 1500mm long,and currently have the cd sat on top of the amp,my dealer says they are best sited next to one another,but im a little pushed for room.Would i acheive better results if they were to be side by side???

Any ideas would be great and maybe if theres anything out there like a very minamilistic shelf system??

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
It's not usually a good idea to put things on top of amps because that's usually where the cooling vents are, which you're now blocking, which could cause your amp to overheat, which wouldn't be a good thing.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
rockywebb:Would i acheive better results if they were to be side by side???

Yes.

Traditionally (if stacking is unavoidable) the advice is to put the amp on top but in the case of your Rega kit this is obviously impossible
emotion-2.gif
(Top loading CDP for those reading this who are unfamiliar with Rega kit.)

So side by side it will have to be.

Or....

http://www.quadraspire.com/hifi-racks-hifi-stands/hifi-racks-hifi-stands-hifi-furniture.html#q4

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Side by side is better as your isolating each the CD and amp from each other. Is it possible to use some wall shelving to keep it minimal.

A

Anonymous

I could suggest some isolation platrorms for you but they are only in oak finish not gloss black...

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
While the prior posts are technically correct and you could possibly over heat your amp, with that amp it's pretty unlikely to be a problem. And it definately will not impact the sound in any way. Ideally, it's better not to stack soley for overheating reasons. After you have been listening for a few hours, if the amp stays relatively cool to the touch in this stacked formation, then you are most likely fine and you can leave it that way. Looks nice like that too IMO.

A

Anonymous

Ill just tell you a story about my two amps.

I use a 8000s as a pre,and a 8000p as power amp.My hifi rack has multiple shelves, with working gaps of 200mm and 120mm. Even when i swap them between gaps, the amp on the 200mm shelf is luke warm, whilst the one i put on the 120mm shelf gets roasting.

There's no way i could put them atop each other again....

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
As Jaxwired said it's unlikely to cause to much of a problem as the heat sinks are on the underside and yes it does look good piggy back.
Main issues for me are resonance's caused in this style of set up.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for the input and advice,i have decided to play it safe and have the pairing side by side.Its a bit of a squeeze but its all led out just fine and sounding and looking the muts nuts.

A

Anonymous

I guess you have done it side-by-side now - but if stacking was the only option - you could use some wooden blocks to create a little more space between your amp and CD. Either using 3 [2 front and 1 rear] or 4 - as alternative feet for your CD player. Depending what you use, you could leave them natural or paint them black.

The extra spacing would allow better ventilation. Just an idea!

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
cd players are always light on weight and i am always afraid to put a heavy amp on top. with fear it might get crushed.am i beeing paranoid?

A

Anonymous

defiently not,the cd and amp are now happily cuddled together side by side enjoying one anothers company....they make such a good pair!!

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
ear:cd players are always light on weight and i am always afraid to put a heavy amp on top. with fear it might get crushed.am i beeing paranoid?

Should be fine, i have my 18kg pre amp on top of my 6kg cd player with no issues.
I have 4 squares of a rubber shock absorbing sheet between the cd and pre. Its about 15mm thick and looks like cork.

A

Anonymous

If stacking is unavoidable, make sure you direct a small fan on your gears to dissipate the heat!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
totomatic:If stacking is unavoidable, make sure you direct a small fan on your gears to dissipate the heat!

I completely concur. I actually use a manual fan. Keeps everything cool and I get a great work out. You should see how toned my arms are.

japanese-sensu-fan-usb-drive_1.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts