Best portable hi-fi audio set up

mikkoV

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
It would be fascinating to find out what would be best possible portable music set up at the moment.

Correct if you have idea what would better set up than this:

-Files: dsd/hi-res/16 bit lossless
-Source: Sony Xperia Z4 (hi-res tablet) / Apple Ipad air 2 / any good quality laptop
-Audioquest jitterbug
-Uptone Audio usb regen
-Dac: Chord hugo
-Speakers: 2 x marshall kilburn connected with audioquest dual splitter adapter (+additional aux cable) or Ruark Audio mr1 with battery pack
-Cables:
-Audioquest dragontail to connect tablet to jitterbug(micro usb male - usb a female) for android... Don't know about apple
-Audioquest diamond silver usb a to b to connect jitterbug to usb regen.
-Audioquest diamond silver usb cable to connect usb regen to chord hugo dac
-Audioquest angel silver aux cable

Wondering if Astell & Kern or Sony portable hifi players can produce better sound quality to portable speakers than previous set up? Would you buy portable hifi player or would you be happy with Sony Z4/Apple Ipod +chord hugo combo?

mikkoV said:
It would be fascinating to find out what would be best possible portable music set up at the moment.

Correct if you have idea what would better set up than this:

-Files: dsd/hi-res/16 bit lossless -Source: Sony Xperia Z4 (hi-res tablet) / Apple Ipad air 2 / any good quality laptop -Audioquest jitterbug -Uptone Audio usb regen -Dac: Chord hugo -Speakers: 2 x marshall kilburn connected with audioquest dual splitter adapter (+additional aux cable) or Ruark Audio mr1 with battery pack -Cables: -Audioquest dragontail to connect tablet to jitterbug(micro usb male - usb a female) for android... Don't know about apple -Audioquest diamond silver usb a to b to connect jitterbug to usb regen. -Audioquest diamond silver usb cable to connect usb regen to chord hugo dac -Audioquest angel silver aux cable

Wondering if Astell & Kern or Sony portable hifi players can produce better sound quality to portable speakers than previous set up? Would you buy portable hifi player or would you be happy with Sony Z4/Apple Ipod +chord hugo combo?

Depends on what you mean by portable. You can hardly put that system in your pocket. If you intend it to be music on the move then I'd stick to something like the Questyle QP1R and a decent pair of headphones.

Portable to me means something you can take to listen to music whilst on the move, what you are suggesting is transportable. I would suggest you lose the DAC and use a pair of Riva Turbo X speakers in stereo mode via Bluetooth as an option.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I think that you need to provide a few use cases, to help us understand the context. It is also a good idea to give us an idea of your budget:

examples of use cases:

Use case 1 - mobile music when walking/commuting - the simplest option is a phone, plus a decent set of earphones/earbuds.

The next level up would be use a phone (or a music store like an ipod or DAP) as an input to a DAC (the Mojo is just as good as the Hugo, but costs a third of the price, and is much smaller to carry around. I found the OPPO HA2, to be almost as good as the Mojo, and it is cheaper), plus a decent set of earphones/earbuds. Even with the DAC, you could fit all this in a man bag. Some people are fans of the AK DAPS, and others believe that the only thing audiophile about AK DAPS are the prices. Nevertheless many Mojo users recommend using one of the cheaper AK DAPs, as a music store, which feeds the signal to the Mojo. The AK DAPs, once fitted with SD cards, provide a large portable music library.

Use case 2 - transportable music for picnics or whatever - then you are talking about speakers, and i cannot help there.

mikkoV

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for deficient explanation and bad english, I try to say things clearer.

I was wondering the best sounding transportable stereo system that money can buy (not expecting that me or most have budget for that).

I mean system that:
-Has two speakers(stereo)
-speakers must have battery powered (no inverter needed xD)
-One man must be able to carry, no matter how difficult.. The size, weight and practicality doesn't matter, only thing matters is sound quality. (so as bluetooth can't yet deliver hi-res music and actually not even lossless, then bluetooth is out of guestion)
-Speakers must be enough loud.. Example the best transportable speaker that what hi-fi claims: kef muo can't give as much volume as Riva or Marshall. So not good enough to outdoor listening.
-The device that inputs the best transportable dac money can buy (hugo, I guess) must be naturally best as well (wondering which has best soundcard.. Ipod/Astell & Kern/Questyle QP1R that al ears suggested/Sony's portable hi-fi player/something else?)
-Naturally also cables must be best that money can buy, even if prices of silver cables are insane

...Anyway the price of "the best picnic system" would be crazy and I propably could't pay that much.

I still would like to know what it would be "best", to get suggestions what to buy to my own system.

My own goal is to get at least decent transportable system and for that I'm at least ready to invest to chord hugo dac, best transportable speaker at the moment (which is?) and best music input source (if the sound quality of my Sony Z4 tablet can be upgraded with some portable hi-fi player such as the one that al ears suggested. Would it make sense?)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts