Best Plasma TV still on the market OR Failing that best OLED TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
If I was in the market, I would take the risk( if any) with OLED.

my VT isn't perfect, but in my opinion is far better than any led, even 4k led sets as I also went to the shoutout the same as BB and I put those demons to bed with the deep blacks and superior grey scale. For colours, the 4k sets may be better in some ways but currently not overall... So it's plasma and OLED for me.
Yep, I demoed mine about 30 times and didn't see it as a risk in buying Oled.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Series1boy said:
If I was in the market, I would take the risk( if any) with OLED.

my VT isn't perfect, but in my opinion is far better than any led, even 4k led sets as I also went to the shoutout the same as BB and I put those demons to bed with the deep blacks and superior grey scale. For colours, the 4k sets may be better in some ways but currently not overall... So it's plasma and OLED for me.
Yep, I demoed mine about 30 times and didn't see it as a risk in buying Oled.

:)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
BigDudeUK said:
So throwing myself at the mercy of you wonderful what hi fi aficionados… Any pearls of wisdom? Other than don't sit on fences. I've NEVER seen an LCD screen that I thought "that comes close to my Pana plasma at home!" Not one and my Pana is 8 years old. Thanks for reading…

Hello BigDudeUK, you've not been on here for a while, and you've written only one posting. Are you still looking for suggestions?

BigDudeUK

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
Thanks all for your comments and advice. Didn't think this would happen but I think I better get back on my fence; and wait and see what comes out this year and what, if any, issues arise with OLED. I'll loo at the models suggested too!

I was under the impression, rightly or wrongly, that Quantum Dot technology was not as 'good' as OLED but I've not read much about Quantum Dot screens either. Once again thanks all and if there's any more advice etc. I'm all ears.

Cheers
shades_smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

BigDudeUK said:
Thanks all for your comments and advice. Didn't think this would happen but I think I better get back on my fence; and wait and see what comes out this year and what, if any, issues arise with OLED. I'll loo at the models suggested too!

I was under the impression, rightly or wrongly, that Quantum Dot technology was not as 'good' as OLED but I've not read much about Quantum Dot screens either. Once again thanks all and if there's any more advice etc. I'm all ears.

Cheers
Quantum Dot is old hat and isn't as good as OLED. If I were you I would buy the new OLED from John Lewis and see how it goes, if it isn't good get them to take it away. 4K OLED TVs are just around the corner too, and that will be the holy grail. I hear the cheapest one will be £2500 too, not bad going. You should demo 4K and see if it floats your boat, if not going for the new OLED now.

The excessive carbon footprint of plasma is enought to call it a day with that tech....*stop* it isnt sacred anymore.New kid in Town....OLED....and anything less than 4K resolution you will feel unsatisfied in the long term.

UHD in any format is more rewarding than 1080p.....the sense of image depth you percieve even with an IPS screen is got the word 'Sold' written on it, and if you are a PC gamer more than a videophile then that is even more of a statement......a revelation.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_100000090351445 said:
The excessive carbon footprint of plasma is enought to call it a day with that tech....*stop* it isnt sacred anymore.New kid in Town....OLED....and anything less than 4K resolution you will feel unsatisfied in the long term.

UHD in any format is more rewarding than 1080p.....the sense of image depth you percieve even with an IPS screen is got the word 'Sold' written on it, and if you are a PC gamer more than a videophile then that is even more of a statement......a revelation.

there is no content in 4k available that is comparable to 1080p/24. The Netflix 4k is streamed and compressed and is not full 4k. I've seen it at the Leeds shootout last year and the 1080p OLED LG and ZT(the winner) was better in picture quality than any of the 4k lcd playing netflix. You can only view demos and the odd netflix, so for now and the next 12 months at least, 1080p is better. I've seen it with my own eyes. Don't be fooled with all this hype until content is released because even sky have said 4k its not on their priority list and there is no 4k BD out as yet..

D

Deleted member 2457

OLED is pretty special by itself, I am still very impressed with mine. I haven't had any problems and still got a 5 year warranty. I will see out this warranty too!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
gel said:

OLED is pretty special by itself, I am still very impressed with mine. I haven't had any problems and still got a 5 year warranty. I will see out this warranty too!
yes, but your's is 1080p not 4k
wink_smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Native_bon said:
gel said:

Dont need 4K. *smile* OLED with its black levels aren't going to get any better, then it's all about resolution and detail, some people say you don't see any difference. Or it's going to be minimal at most and it's going to cost an extra £1000-£2000 at least for the TV and about £600 at least for a 4K Blu-Ray player I would imagine, best to leave well alone until they get really realistic, I am not about to lose a load of money on stuff that's not worth it!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
Native_bon said:
gel said:

Dont need 4K. *smile* OLED with its black levels aren't going to get any better, then it's all about resolution and detail, some people say you don't see any difference. Or it's going to be minimal at most and it's going to cost an extra £1000-£2000 at least for the TV and about £600 at least for a 4K Blu-Ray player I would imagine, best to leave well alone until they get really realistic, I am not about to lose a load of money on stuff that's not worth it!
kind of agreeing with you there. I dnt see the need for 4k at the moment. Unless you going 65 & higher no need for 4k. Like someone mentioned, the only reason i may go OLED 4k nxt year cause I got 3x GTX 980. Will give out of this world graphics with PC. But then again how are oled 4k going to deal with input lag.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts