Best Plasma TV still on the market OR Failing that best OLED TV

BigDudeUK

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
I've been hunting for the best plasma TV, the Pana ZT etc & missed what seems to be the last one by 2 hours! I cried! Not really I gave myself a metaphorical kick up the a#*€!

I'd sat on the fence for 3 bloody weeks. So serves me right I hear you shout.

So throwing myself at the mercy of you wonderful what hi fi aficionados… Any pearls of wisdom? Other than don't sit on fences. I've NEVER seen an LCD screen that I thought "that comes close to my Pana plasma at home!" Not one and my Pana is 8 years old. Thanks for reading…

D

Deleted member 2457

I doubt there is any plasmas left now. Here is a list of Oled prices:

http://www.reevoo.com/p/lg-55ea980w?gclid=CPDggevM5cECFcrKtAodAXAApw

Prcdirect seems the cheapest at £1850 or RGBdirect have an ex-display at £1800.

D

Deleted member 2457

The new Oled can be had for £2,200 at Costco too, but I am personally not sure about that one.

D

Deleted member 2457

Richer Sounds still have some open boxed plasmas, here is the VT65 at £900 at Solihull:

http://www.richersounds.com/showclearanceproduct/PANA-TXP50VT65B/Panasonic+Txp50vt65b.html

They have a 55 inch one too. No but Oled is very good I am seriously happy with mine.

D

Deleted member 2457

If you want to wall mount the TV this deal looks quite good:

http://www.chromapure.co.uk/details.asp?id=341&type=products

ellisdj said:
got to be oled now - surely noone who is an enthusiast would buy led

We still don't know what problems may crop up with OLED 2-3 years down the line, like screenburn etc. Also, LG needs to sort out the whites, as they look blue-purplish. So there is room for improvement.

I can't see LED improving much from what it already is. Let's see what Panasonic 902 is like, but I'm not holding my breath.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
ellisdj said:

We still don't know what problems may crop up with OLED 2-3 years down the line, like screenburn etc. Also, LG needs to sort out the whites, as they look blue-purplish. So there is room for improvement.

There is still issues with plasma 15 years or so later - not perfect by any stretch - so for outright performance if no plasma got to be oled.

Sadly there is limited options to buy but with a 5 year warranty your pretty much covered.

They might just need calibrating in a specific way to iron out the minor flaws in whites etc. New tech might need new approach

Here are my views about whites in the TV shootout I attended. Similar views echoed by others as well:

Whites

This is where LEDs had a clear advantage over plasma as well as OLED. Samsung flat was the whitest, followed by Samsung curved, Panasonic 4K, Sony, Panasonic plasma and LG in that order. Plasmas made after 2009 energy regulations had Automatic Brightness Limiter (ABL) built in, which cannot be switched off. That’s why Panasonic ZT suffered. LG was quite interesting. Theoretically, it should be able to display perfect whites as it’s the most energy efficient, but Vincent thinks LG has employed ABL to prevent the OLED from burning in.

They then played a clip showing snow. The results were similar to the white test pattern. LG showed a reddish tinge to snow, especially on bottom right. It was quite distracting.

If you view the TVs on their own without comparing, you won’t mind the whites of plasma. Also, in presence of more colours on the screen (including black and white chequered pattern), the difference between whites gets significantly smaller.

D

Deleted member 2457

I demoed this Sony TV today against the new LG Oled and I have to say it looked better!

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/sony-bravia-kd55x9005bbu-smart-3d-4k-ultra-hd-55-led-tv-10004682-pdt.html#cat-0

ellisdj said:
bigboss said:
ellisdj said:

There is still issues with plasma 15 years or so later - not perfect by any stretch - so for outright performance if no plasma got to be oled.?

Sadly there is limited options to buy but with a 5 year warranty your pretty much covered.?

They might just need calibrating in a specific way to iron out the minor flaws in whites etc.  New tech might need new  approach

Warranty will not cover IR and screen burn though.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
ellisdj said:
bigboss said:
ellisdj said:

There is still issues with plasma 15 years or so later - not perfect by any stretch - so for outright performance if no plasma got to be oled.

Sadly there is limited options to buy but with a 5 year warranty your pretty much covered.

They might just need calibrating in a specific way to iron out the minor flaws in whites etc. New tech might need new approach

John Lewis warranty covers screen burn.

gel said:
bigboss said:
ellisdj said:
bigboss said:
ellisdj said:

There is still issues with plasma 15 years or so later - not perfect by any stretch - so for outright performance if no plasma got to be oled.?

Sadly there is limited options to buy but with a 5 year warranty your pretty much covered.?

They might just need calibrating in a specific way to iron out the minor flaws in whites etc.  New tech might need new  approach

?

No it doesn't.

What’s not included
There are some specific exclusions from our guarantees, as follows:
• Repair costs caused by external factors such as computer viruses, faulty software, fire, theft, and weather (including lightning damage)
Accidental damage, for example if your item has been dropped. You may find that this type of damage is covered by your household contents insurance policy
• Image ghosting or screen burn. These can appear on a screen that’s left operating for a prolonged period with either a still image or a channel constantly displaying a logo
• Pixel spots. These are tiny dark or bright spots that may become visible on a screen

http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/customer-services/information-about-shopping-on-johnlewiscom#page_loaded

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
ellisdj said:
bigboss said:
ellisdj said:

No it doesn't.

What’s not included There are some specific exclusions from our guarantees, as follows: • Repair costs caused by external factors such as computer viruses, faulty software, fire, theft, and weather (including lightning damage) Accidental damage, for example if your item has been dropped. You may find that this type of damage is covered by your household contents insurance policy • Image ghosting or screen burn. These can appear on a screen that’s left operating for a prolonged period with either a still image or a channel constantly displaying a logo • Pixel spots. These are tiny dark or bright spots that may become visible on a screen

http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/customer-services/informatio...
They covered my Panasonic 50GT50 though.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
If I was in the market, I would take the risk( if any) with OLED.

my VT isn't perfect, but in my opinion is far better than any led, even 4k led sets as I also went to the shoutout the same as BB and I put those demons to bed with the deep blacks and superior grey scale. For colours, the 4k sets may be better in some ways but currently not overall... So it's plasma and OLED for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts