Best Phones for ROCK!!!!

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
In my pursuit to get a set of headphones to blow my mind with metal I have devised a short list.

I own Alessandro Ms2i Amazing phones but too fatiguing after a while. Was thinking of Stax but on head-fi people say its not the best suited for metal. SO i now narrowed it down to the following.

Question is which do you guys think would blow my mind most. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MAKE SUGGESTIONS

I like big bass but not sacrificing detail and instrument separation.

My choices are

Grado - RS1i - The obvious upgrade

Grado GS1000 - Superb reviews from what i read

Denon AH-D7000 - All rounder and tremendous bass and treble.

Alessandro MSPRO - Logically the wise choice as i own the Ms2i

AKG Q701- REASON for this shock choice is quincy jones produced thriller and thats pretty PRAT so guessing must be good for rock - or am i wrong.

Audeze LCD-2 - problem is nowhere stocks them in UK.

HIFIMAN -HE-5LE - Not heard much about them but from what little I have people say they are immense.

Beyer Tesla T1. - What hifi said they are awesome sounding headphone and have good bass apparently.

What do you guys thinks - Want something which i will treasure and which makes my hifi less used :)

Need your help and thoughts

Another question is would a dedicated head amp make a bigger difference than using my speaker amp to drive my phones??

Rich

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people are going to recommend Grado's as they seem to have adopted the title of rock can. However I have a pair of RS2i's and like you I find them fatiguing. I can't stand listening to rock or metal on them. I also have a pair of Stax and would concur that they are not best suited to metal. Personally if it were my money I would be leaning towards the Denon Ah-d7000's they are a great can with a sound signature like you have already described. I can't comment on the Audeze or Hifiman headphones as like you I have only read how good they are. I think idc has tried a pair of HE-6's so may chime in. There was a pair of Audeze on eBay a couple of weeks ago in the UK for £750 I nearly pulled the trigger but didn't, I am beginning to regret that decision now. With regards to amplifiers, it's a bit of a contentious issue. Some say they are a must but I have tried a number of headphone amplifiers and would say I get as good results if not better from my integrated amplifier. Headphone amplifiers just have there own sound signature so it is possible that you could get your ideal sound with a certain pair of cans and amplifier combination. I would say if you have a good integrated amplifier that it is highly unlightly that you would suddenly have angels flying around you if you changed over to a dedicated headphone amplifier. However after saying all this there in no substitute to listening for yourself.

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I must admit that after prolonged listening to the Q701 with Daughtry playing pretty loud in my ear I would definately say go for a set of these. I honestly think they give the HD800 a run for their money, especially at half the price. Great clarity, really open, comfortable to wear....they get my vote.

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
I personally use the Audeze LCD-2 and listen to a lot of rock. Absolutely no complaints, I really love them. It is a shame that no where in teh UK stocks them, but I think it is worth joining the pre-order queue. IIRC paid $80 for delivery. Alternatively, get them used somewhere - last time I checked the waiting list for a new pait was 2 months(!).

idc

I have tried the HiFiMAN HE-6, which along with the AKG Q701, which despite what some claim has the same drivers and sounds the same as the K701/702, would probably not give you the bass depth you are looking for.

The HE-6s have a level of clarity I have not experienced with any other headphones, it is as if you have been moved forward in the concert hall closer to the musicians. The AKGs are a few rows back, but the difference is not great.

As for fatigue, I think that that is just something that may be as much you as any headphone and comfort more than ultimate SQ is most important. I like circumaural AKGs as I find them very comfortable, hence not as fatiguing as my Grado SR80s.

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
idc said:
... AKG Q701, which despite what some claim has the same drivers and sounds the same as the K701/702, would probably not give you the bass depth you are looking for...

I did used to have the K701s and if what idc says is true, then the Q701s won't be the best for rock. Whilst I can't deny the sheer detail in the K701s, they just did not have the bass impact which I love to hear in my rock/metal.

idc

I still prefer the detail to the depth, even with metal. It has just become traditional to say AKG bad and Grado good for rock. It really depends what you want out of your music. In the past, especially as a teenager, I would have hated AKGs for rock.

Cutlass

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Rich

I have Grado RS2s and GS1000is and have never found them fatiguing, in fact the RS2s are a bit too warm for my taste. I wonder if it might be my electronics (Naim) or my ears (old) that account for this? I don't listen at high volumes either, with the GS1000is you don't need to. The things I've found made the biggest differences to my headphones' presentation are improving the power supply to my Naim Headline 2 hadphone amp. and, believe it or not, the power cords supplying my equipment. The former made a huge improvement to the base response both in terms of depth and speed. A change away from Naim power cords caused a very bright presention which at first gave an impression of more detail but after lengthy listening sessions showed it to be splashy, unrealistic and somewhat fatiguing. Given the above the GS1000is, IMO, give powerfull clear, clean and deep base with sublime midrange and realistic treble. Incidently Shasonic of 242 Tottenham Court Road have a wide selection of high end headphones on display and, so I was told by a staff member, soon to be available for demonstration. Have fun experimenting.

Paddy

A

Anonymous

Another vote for the Audeze LCD 2 which is an incredible all around headphone with deep clean bass and easy to drive (especially compared to the Hi-Fi Man HE-6). I believe they've caught up with the waiting list so delivery shouldn't take long.

A

Anonymous

I use Gradio RS1's for rock mostly, metallica, muse, etc... they sound great. Source is Naim CD5x, amp Rega Ear (not recommended headphone amp however...). Still great sound though with the kit!

A

Anonymous

A favourite of ours not mentioned above is the truly excellent Beyerdynamic DT880. Combined with a decent amp like the Icon Audio HP8 these cans are superb.

The DT880 is very well balanced, has excellent instrument seperation and gives well defined bass response. Highly recommended.

A

Anonymous

:) :) I recently bought a pair of Audeze LCD2 headphones from Simon at Hifi Sound in Stockton. I think you'll find he is the UK stockist. Cost was £799.I upgraded from Audio Technica W1000's.The LCD2's are a fantastic headphone.

TRENDING THREADS