Best order to buy Hi-fi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone

I just bought a new Rega RP1 and have been using it with some Hifi from the '90s, but have decided to upgrade. I've decided on the Tannoy Mercury V4s and a Marantz PM6004, pending audition. I don't have much money though, so wanted to know which of the two would make the most difference whilst I'm saving to buy the other one. Ie which would improve my sound most without the other?

Thanks!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Great Turntable I have one myself, I know you say the the marantz pm6004, it's a cracking amp with a decent phono stage, I just sold mine and got a Rega Brio R.... Wow it's a great little amp it would be worth saving the extra £200, had mine a few days now and it's getting better and better!

I would always go for a source first, I know some other forum members would do the opposite but I have my reasoning.

As you already have a source and have some speakers in mind I would next try to audition them.

ie Your source with your proposed speakers.

If you are happy with sound go and get the speakers next because while there are, of course amps that are better than the Marantz, there are not many I can think of that are better than it at the price you can get it for.

Further to my last post.....I've changed my mind.

Just noticed Hyperfi are doing manufacturer refurbished Marantz for £250...so forget the speakers go and snap-up one of these while they still have them and save yourself £50.

While you are doing that the speakers are only going to drop in price anyway so will take you less time to save for them! :)

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Everyone has their own ideas, that I said I’m right :grin:

Get your speakers first, not only do they have the biggest single impact on the sound they are also the most room dependant. Next get yourself an amp appropriate to drive those speakers. Lastly buy the most competent source you can with the remaining budget.

This is a very simplistic view, of course have one eye on balancing your overall budget throughout the process.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
idc said:
I would concentrate on speakers as blind testing find they make the biggest difference by a country mile.

Very true but not always for the better. In my experience if the source and signal are poor decent speakers will only exaggerate any short falls of the source and amplifier.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
That is true and that’s why although you can priorities certain areas you need to be mindful of the bigger picture too.

However digital sources have come a long way over the past decade and you can get something very decent for little money which wasn’t always the case. Speakers are still the because single factor, mainly because they have the biggest room for errors due to the physical nature of their design.

A

Anonymous

I don't know much about it. Apparently it was all recommended by What Hi-Fi at time of purchase. Amp is Sony Integrated Stereo Amplifier, model No. TA-F246E. Speakers are Sony Floorstanders, Model No. SS-176E. I don't know about the amp, but an archived online review says that the speakers were worth the equivalent of about £300 in 1996, so the Tannoys should by rights be a lot better: http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/July%201996/119/751646/#header-logo

I can't find anything about the amp, but I can't imagine it cost much more than that...

A

Anonymous

I was considering the Rega. I heard that Rega-only systems are particularly good, so was considering the Brio R with some RS1s. But I am slightly inclined towards floorstanders, and the RS3s are far too expensive so I don't know about the speakers... What speakers do you use? I'm aware that the set up I have planned is nicely price-matched - about £250 per component, so I thought buying the Brio would only be significantly better if I used other more expensive components, which I'm not sure I can afford.

A

Anonymous

I've just noticed the Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6 Bookshelfs on HyperFi for £300, when the majority of websites seem to be suggesting they're worth closer to £800. Is that right?!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I suspect "best" is to buy it all at once as then you can put together something that works well as a "system". However if you can't afford that and can't wait (and I understand that!) then I would start with the source, whatever that might be, so that you are putting the best signal you can afford into the system. However I think you should be aiming for something that fits together from the start.

Chris

T

the record spot

Both your Sony amp and speakers were well reviewed in their day. Are the speakers the Brooklands version? Tannoy, good choice. For £300, yes a steal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts