Question Best option for closed backs in a noisy environment - still want excellent sound quality

z1ggy16

Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
So in a few weeks my home office is being moved into my living room because we live in a 2br condo, and my newborn will be getting this room. At night when I'm on my PC, my wife is watching TV so now I will be in the same room as her. I have a closed back set of MDR-1A's and I know these will not get the job done. I don't think it's the best idea to have her use bluetooth headphones herself since a) the baby will need attention so she has to be able to hear her and b) I'm not even sure if my AVR has BT capability. I know my TV doesn't.

Will be running off a magni/modi stack, so I'll be able to power quite a bit. I was considering 1000XM3, but from what I gather, ANC is really best for constant noise and not the best (yet) for dynamic situations. So... I think I'm probably best off trying to get as much noise isolation as possible. I don't expect 100% of her TV volume to be kept out but I'd like to be able to enjoy my music and PC stuff as much as possible still.

Willing to spend up to $750, not afraid to buy used.

D

Deleted member 188533

So you want closed back + sound quality off a Schiit stack? With currently available options ( I'm assuming you're in the US ) the Drop x Beyerdynamic DT 177X Go is worth considering.

And the Focal Elegia.

Why don't the MDR 1A's work? Is it a sound quality thing or an isolation thing?

z1ggy16

Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
So you want closed back + sound quality off a Schiit stack? With currently available options ( I'm assuming you're in the US ) the Drop x Beyerdynamic DT 177X Go is worth considering.

And the Focal Elegia.

Why don't the MDR 1A's work? Is it a sound quality thing or an isolation thing?
Sound isolation off the Sony's isn't great. I'll be in bed listening to normal volume music and I can still hear some remnants of the TV which isn't that loud. Our living room runs off a pretty decent powered set of speakers so it likely won't work. I find the sound quality very good though.

D

Deleted member 188533

I don't know if any closed backs with anything short of ANC will fit your needs then. Some closed backs are obviously more isolating than others but it's pretty much impossible to say which ones are enough for your needs without you trying them.

Gray

I like the AKG K550, they're a good sounding closed back.
Also liked the sound of the Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro, which is an open, but the DT1770 Pro is the closed back version and very good by all accounts.
Of the above, the Beyers clamp more than the AKGs, either are likely to seal and sound better than what you've got though.

D

Deleted member 188533

Generally the 1770 Pro has the same 'hot' treble that the 770, 880 and 990 have while it's toned down a bit in the Drop 177X and more in line with the 1990 Pro.

z1ggy16

Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
Generally the 1770 Pro has the same 'hot' treble that the 770, 880 and 990 have while it's toned down a bit in the Drop 177X and more in line with the 1990 Pro.
Yeah I'm already kind of sensitive to that fatiguing nature of some V shaped headphones, I don't want to have to stop listening to turn volumes way low to make it bearable.

D

Deleted member 188533

Reactions: z1ggy16

Dom

Audeze LCD - 2 Closed Back headphones. £659
lcd2_l_1-large.jpg

D

Deleted member 188533

I wouldn't buy the LCD 2C without trying it. Some people love it but it has haters too.

Reactions: Dom
D

Deleted member 188533

I think is has some weird tonality issues. I'd like a pair of LCD X's. though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts