Best of the old budget amps

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
So I've been needing to get a new amp and have posted a few other topics on here to get an idea of what I want and just thought I'd post one more to consolidate everything.

Its to go with a pair of B&W Dm602 S3s and with regards to source, I think I am buying a Cambridge Audio DACmagic (which I am getting for £105 2nd hand, I thought that was pretty good right?), and then probably get a CD player to match my amp or just buy a cheap one and put it through the DAC.

So the amps I am currently looking for, and waiting for one at a good price are:

Nad C370

Rotel Ra-1060 or 1062

Marantz Pm-6010KI (can have for ~£155, is that good?)

Marantz Pm-7200 or maybe 7001?

Arcam alpha 9 or 10

Maybe an Arcam A85

But some amps which I know very little about which I have found some deals on I was wondering if people could give me advice on. A Creek Evolution 1 for £180? Was also looking at a Rotel RB-850 and RTC-850 pre and power pair for £100 but didnt know anything about them?

Also saw a twin Rotel RB-970BX Mk2 with a RC-970BX Mk2 Pre set for £300 inc postage, but again dont know anything about them or if that is good. Or what to offer him instead.

I am mostly interested in an idea of the quality of the amps, age, a good idea of their value if people know it, or what the retailed for, and a small amount on what people think of opinions as I know peoples opinions vary a lot so perhaps the rrp and age, a long with people's opinions might give a better judge. I am also very interested in the Creek Evolution deal as it seems like a very good amp.

rainsoothe

hi

I haven't heard the Creek Evolution 50A, but i listened to Creek Evo2 with the BW 602 S2s I used to have and it sounded pretty good (way better then that highly praised Rega Brio R ppl are raving about for some reason I don't understand) - maybe the low end was a wee bit muddled, at least for my taste, but the 50A might be different.

Out of the vintage ones, the first time i ever auditioned the 602 S2's before buying them, many years ago, they were fed by a RA 1062. They sounded awesome together, and i think 1062 was half the reason i bought the BW's in the first place (i didn't realise it back then, I was too young).

If it's not 2nd hand e-bay stuff, try to audition - I mean you can try audition the Creek with your speakers to make your mind up. And if you love how it sounds, then go for it.

Trust YOUR ears :)

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Well if i could audition I most definitely would but unfortunately when buying second hand stuff, unless its close by, you cant.

Is the evolution one the same as the 50a? As I wasn't sure it was? Was struggling to find information on it. From reading reviews I can tell that RA-1062 definitely sounds amazing with the B&W 600 series as I haven't heard a bad review yet. But there doesn't seem to be any available at the moment which is unfortunate.

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Well if i could audition I most definitely would but unfortunately when buying second hand stuff, unless its close by, you cant.

Is the evolution one the same as the 50a? As I wasn't sure it was? Was struggling to find information on it. From reading reviews I can tell that RA-1062 definitely sounds amazing with the B&W 600 series as I haven't heard a bad review yet. But there doesn't seem to be any available at the moment which is unfortunate.

John Duncan

Here's a review of the original EVO if it helps:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/cd-players-and-recorders/creek-evo-78554/review

It's not the same as the 50A, which I think was more an update of the 5350.

rainsoothe

Well I, for one, think the 50A would go well with your speakers, perhaps better then it did with the evo2 which, as i said, was a wee bit muddled in the low frequency department (at least I found it so). But this one (the Creek Evolution 50A) you can actually audition - even if you do decide to buy used, u can always take your speakers to a dealer and audition one that's in the store - if you have a store nearby.

Too bad about the rarity of 1062s though - there was one for sale like a week ago for like 400 euro, i was investigating for a friend. Maybe look around for a 2nd hand hi-fi store or some websites? You might have some luck with that.

rainsoothe

Well i think there's several online hi-fi communities with forums that have like "for sale" sections. I don't think I'm allowed to link it. Also, I don't think you get the safety of using dedicated websites, but they seem to be having a rating system of their own, and should be usually safe to use, especially if you can meet with the seller in person. Google is your friend. I think you can find one of them by searching for teddy pardo teddycap reviews, then look for the "classifieds" section. If you're unsure after checking them out, then I guess you could always go for the creek evo50a or whatever the friendly ppl here might recommend for your speakers.

goodluck ;)

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Reccommendations would be really appreciated as that is how I have obtained the current list of amps which I am looking at. I am looking at casting my net as wide as possible as being relatively new to hifi I am open to a bit of trial and error as I cant afford to buy what I new.

Regards

Michael

TRENDING THREADS