Best Marantz combo?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all! As a newcomer to this forum, I apologize for starting with such a topic...

I have always been a Marantz fan and some weeks ago I decided to purchase a good Marantz combo and retire my Pioneer system (I am keeping the Sa-708 amp though as it brings so many good memories...). My budget is of around 2.300 GBP (been saving a lot) but still I am trying to match the perfect components to listen to good old classic and alternative rock in a medium size living room. I may be flexible on the speakers...

Any suggestions on the cables would also be very welcome. Thanks a lot!

Cheers

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Best Marantz combo?

SA-7S1 is suppose to be the best cd player in the world!

but the cdp alone already gone over your budget! not to mention SC-11S1 amp! ...Could you get a 2nd mortgage?

A

Anonymous

Is your budget for the cd-player and amp alone, or is it cdp+amp+speakers?

A

Anonymous

Marantz PM-15S1
Marantz SA-7001 KI
ACOUSTIC ENERGY AELITE 3

£2100

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for the information provided, it is really helpful... my budget is for cd, amp and speakers alltogether. As for why I am being so brand obstinated, let's say it has been my all time dream to have a beautiful Marantz equipment (that is what I have been saving for!). After retiring my Pioneer combo, I just realized I had been saving a lot and I just needed my Marantz, could not explain why... ;-)

John Duncan

But £2,500 quid could buy you a Primare set up!

(sorry............
emotion-1.gif
)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Eusebio"]Thanks a lot for the information provided, it is really helpful... my budget is for cd, amp and speakers alltogether. As for why I am being so brand obstinated, let's say it has been my all time dream to have a beautiful Marantz equipment (that is what I have been saving for!). After retiring my Pioneer combo, I just realized I had been saving a lot and I just needed my Marantz, could not explain why... ;-)[/quote]

I'm a loyal follower of the brand too, though I can't really explain why. I just love the Marantz sound and just about everything marantz made looks lovely to my eyes.

amp and cd-player: I'd go for a PM7001KI and SA7001KI, I'd combine it with Dynaudio or Focal speakers, to my ears they match best. Your preference may vary, so I'm going to suggest you to seek a retailer that carries both Marantz products and Dynaudio and or Focal speakers. You said you have a medium size living room, though didn't really define how big medium sized is in your opinion ;-). I'd look at both standmount and fullsize speakers, try to get a home demo and try to get a feel for what would work best in your opinion.

And I don't know if you're into buying stuff online, but there's a lovely PM15S1 on eBay now, currently sitting for a nice price. It'll probably rise some, but if not, it could be a bargain: eBay PM15S1

A

Anonymous

I also think that Marantz has a really great sound Jan... I fell in love with Marantz some years ago and I set my mind for it. Thanks a lot for your comments by the way. My living room is about 45 to 50 square meters. Dynaudio seems really a cool choice; I have to set up a trial as I have only read about them in magazines, but never had the occasion to listen to it properly... I'll keep you posted! By the way, any suggestions on the cables?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]It's almost as silly as buying B&O ;)[/quote]

I have a B&O shop in my town and let me tell you ... some of the stuff looks AND sounds bloody gorgeous ...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Jan Hibma"] I'd go for a PM7001KI and SA7001KI[/quote]

Dont bother with the KI versions. They are not worth the extra and when we listened to them, some time ago, we (dealer, customer and myself) actually preferred the standard components. Put the money towards better speakers.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]

I have a B&O shop in my town and let me tell you ... some of the stuff looks AND sounds bloody gorgeous ...
[/quote]
Every B&O I've heard has sounded rather soft, squidgy and boomy. But I haven't heard many.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="igglebert"][quote user="drummerman"]

[/quote] Every B&O I've heard has sounded rather soft, squidgy and boomy. But I haven't heard many.[/quote]

Its been a while since I was there but I remember listening to some weird looking dalek look-alike active speakers and a lovely smart housed head unit/cd/tuner. Absolutely astonishing, live like sound at very very high volumes but it was just as good at quiet levels. If I had the cash ... . I think a lot has to do with hifi snobery, its just not 'cool' to admit B&O is nice to a lot of 'audiophiles'. Remember, these guys have been at the forefront of cutting edge technology and development for many many years. A lot of modern 'digital' amps use their modules for one example.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site

Dont bother with the KI versions. They are not worth the extra and when we listened to them, some time ago, we (dealer, customer and myself) actually preferred the standard components. Put the money towards better speakers.

[/quote]

And whilst I understand why you like Marantz I really do think you should also listen to some other stuff as mentioned before.

For that amount of money you can mix/match or if you prefer the look of a one-make system consider a Cyrus 8 integrated and matching player. They really are nice and have the 'warmth' of the affordable marantzes but with more presence, solidity and most importantly drive. Or, listen to a good valve amp such as the Puresound A30 with its matching player, they are amazing.

A

Anonymous

While I agree that the KI versions are not worth the extra money, I do find them significantly better. The main reason why I suggested them is because there's quite a big difference in price and performance, between the regular PM7001 and the PM15S1, the PM7001KI bridges the gap somewhat, same goes for the CD-players. I find that the difference between the regular cd-player and KI version is bigger than the difference between the amps.

To eusebio: you should probably demo both and decide for yourself if your willing to spend the premium. And while I find Marantz a great brand, there is really a lot of stuff to find in your price bracket, try to think outside the box too.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site

Dont bother with the KI versions.

[/quote]

What!!!!????
emotion-3.gif

You are alone on that one. Ken is well respected world wide , guru of all modders and what he has done for HiFi world he should get a noble prize!

A

Anonymous

Lol, responses seem to vary. A few of my collegueas tend to think KI stuff is just a marketing ploy, change the chassic to something copper, drop a toroidal transformer in there, and presto: there's the KI Sig. I however tend to think it's quite a significant leap forwards, it just may not worth the added cost, but that's for the buyer to decide.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I have 4 Marantz cd players at the moment (I used to collect them, but now down to 4!). Trust me the 63KI sound a lot better than the standard 63 or even the ose model!

A

Anonymous

I agree wholeheartedly on that front, I'm not so sure about the current line though.

A

Anonymous

And out of sheer curiosity, what 4 models do you have currently?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Jan Hibma"]And out of sheer curiosity, what 4 models do you have currently?[/quote]

CD63, CD63KI, CD6000KI, CD17KI.

(I would love a marantz CD 7 one day
emotion-21.gif
)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="Jan Hibma"]And out of sheer curiosity, what 4 models do you have currently?[/quote]

CD63, CD63KI, CD6000KI, CD17KI.

(I would love a marantz CD 7 one day
emotion-21.gif
)

[/quote]

Very interesting, how does the 63KI stack up against the CD17KI? Is there a big difference? And have you heard the CD17MKII, is the CD17KI better than that one? Reason I'm asking is I was searching for a CD17KI for quite a while, and then I picked this one up at a bargain price.

And yes, owning a CD7 is a dream of mine also, though a CD12 and DA 12 might be very interesting too. Here's too dreaming though, before I can make anymore changes to my system I'll have to upgrade my ratty speakers.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Jan Hibma"]Very interesting, how does the 63KI stack up against the CD17KI?[/quote]

Very well indeed, can't match the bass of cd17 ki though. I bought the cd17KI for £300! lucky man am I?

I think the 63KI is not gonna drop in value now, I am hoping it will become like Ford Capri! I sold my 1977 2.8L capri for £300 many years ago and the price now is around £3,000! My 63KI is immaculate, cd draw operating smoothly without any noise (Are you reading Mr. E?
emotion-4.gif
)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]My 63KI is immaculate, cd draw operating smoothly without any noise (Are you reading Mr. E?
emotion-4.gif
)[/quote]

Yup, but then I think mine was the second one ever made, so it's been used to death.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="drummerman"]

Dont bother with the KI versions.

[/quote]

What!!!!????
emotion-3.gif

You are alone on that one. Ken is well respected world wide , guru of all modders and what he has done for HiFi world he should get a noble prize!

[/quote]

As mentioned before (and in a previous threads), a bit of copper plating, a toroid, slightly larger supply caps and a few 'upgraded' parts amount to perhaps twenty quid, hardly the £200 extra they charge. Value for money, better? You have to decide yourself. For that money you have a few rivals that are in my opinion superior (different compromises) to that amplifier. Mr Ishiwata, whilst undoubtedly a good electronics engineer, is also certainly one hell of a marketing man, I have to give him that.

Yes, I too had the kI version of that CD player and I still have the PM66KI amp in working condition. Whilst I liked/like both, times have moved on, particularely in case of the player and I certainly would'nt trade my current one back in for one of those, 'moded' or not.

A

Anonymous

I hate you guys for giving me so much food for thought ;-). I had done some combinations and was ready to call some shops to make a couple of tries, but now I have to start again. But there is nothing greater than spending your time dreaming on the perfect sound system and the day you will listen for hours to your combo (whatever it comes out to be). I agree with Jan and the rest that I should look outside the box, but it is really scary to see how overwelming the offer is in this range of price... besides my obstination with Marantz, I agree that the Puresound A30 is an amazing amp. I'm not crazy about the looks (plus only three inputs...) but the sound is amazing. What CD/speakers could match it? Difficult to answer... As for B&O, great design and really great sound. A bit of a snobish component to them as well, but still are great equipments. However, for me, their sound is not as "consistent" as others (Marantz, of course).

PS: thank you all for the proposals, it really helps! When I manage to build up this combo, you are all invited for some drinks and some great music!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts