Best interconnect for matching Marantz CD with Arcam amp (not the best combination, I know)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've acquired an old but good Arcam Alpha one amp (circa 2000 I think). It is connected to an even older Marantz CD-63. Any recommendations about which Interconnect might best neutralize the somewhat brightness of the Marantz would be appreciated. I'm hoping that a good one will delay having to buy another CD player for a bit longer. So far, I'm considering either Chord Company Cobra 3, DNM and Seduction. I don't want to pay any more than £50-60. See below for other gear. Cheers...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Get yourself a QED Quenex 2 or 3 interconnect. You dont need any more than that really. Better to get 2nd as well as theyre already 'burnt' in so to speak

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="badabingbadaboom"]I've acquired an old but good Arcam Alpha one amp (circa 2000 I think). It is connected to an even older Marantz CD-63. Any recommendations about which Interconnect might best neutralize the somewhat brightness of the Marantz would be appreciated. I'm hoping that a good one will delay having to buy another CD player for a bit longer. So far, I'm considering either Chord Company Cobra 3, DNM and Seduction. I don't want to pay any more than £50-60. See below for other gear. Cheers...[/quote]

The Arcam alpha 1 amp is about 20 years old

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="badabingbadaboom"]I've acquired an old but good Arcam Alpha one amp (circa 2000 I think). It is connected to an even older Marantz CD-63. Any recommendations about which Interconnect might best neutralize the somewhat brightness of the Marantz would be appreciated. I'm hoping that a good one will delay having to buy another CD player for a bit longer. So far, I'm considering either Chord Company Cobra 3, DNM and Seduction. I don't want to pay any more than £50-60. See below for other gear. Cheers...[/quote]

I don't think the cable will quell the brightness of the Marantz/MA BR2 combo I'm afraid. One part will have to go. There is nothing wrong with your Chord Chrysalis so cut your losses and get some new speakers/CD.

A

Anonymous

The Cambridge Audio Studio Reference I/C (£50 new) is superb for removing brightness from a system. I have used them to great effect over the years and the effects aren't subtle!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Surely there's something wrong with your system if it's too bright and changing a cable is a poor fix that will just harm detail etc. Rather like adding extra salt to a Burger King Whopper to make up for the bland taste. Not good.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]Surely there's something wrong with your system if it's too bright and changing a cable is a poor fix that will just harm detail etc. Rather like adding extra salt to a Burger King Whopper to make up for the bland taste. Not good.[/quote]

ALL cables and interconnects take something away from your source, none of them add anything. People spend thousands on cables and it is to get a sound they are happy with from their system. The Cambridge Audio Studio Reference happens to remove a bit of treble harshness. If this is what you need then they're great. The cables you are using will be removing something from your system whether you like it or not!

A

Anonymous

Duh OK!!! What's with the Burger King bashing? My Arcam Alpha one amp was manufactured in 1999 (manufacturing of model stopped in 2000), and has the same design look as the Alpha 7 and 8 amps.. JoelSim, I think you're getting mixed up with the ORIGINAL Alpha 1 amp, which was around in the late 80's/early-mid 90's. Anyway, I've replaced the Marantz CD player with an Arcam Alpha 7. The Arcam+Monitor Audio pairing sounds great - warm and detailed, with an impressive soundstage. I've kept the Nordost Flatline Gold AND the Chord Company Chrysalis interconnect, although do want to test drive the CC Cobra and the Seductiion interconnects. I realise my stuff might not be quite in your league people, but I'm more than happy with what I've got.

By the way, the best upgrade I've had recently was to get my ears syringed!!! Jesus what a difference. And free too!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts