Advice on What HiFi best buys

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

Apologies if this sort of thing is already being discussed somewhere. I did have a quick search and couldn't find exactly what I'll mention below.

I've been looking through the 2010 Awards issue with a view to replacing my 18+ year old separates system, which is currently a Rotel CD player, Pioneer A400 Amp with Mission Cyrus bookshelf speakers ... oh and a Pioneer DV-626D DVD player, which got added around 2000.

So I liked the look/review of the following bits of kit:

Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD
Onkyo TXSR608 AV receiver
Monitor Audio BX2 speakers

My idea is that I want a replacement for the CD and DVD players and would like it to play Blu Ray (the PS3 is doing an admirable job at the moment but is a bit noisy when warm and currently I've got no way to hook up the sound to my old faithful amp). I do want good audio handling ability hence the Cambridge Audio player appealed to me.
I'm also thinking of finally getting surround sound but will probably go slowly at first - possibly getting a front speaker, then sub-woofer and rears at some point hence going for the best buy AV Receiver over a dedicated Amp.
Finally I like the look of the Monitor Audio BX2 and figured they fit about the right price for everything else I'm thinking of.
I am reasonably flexible around the pricing but the Marantz 8004 is way, way out of budget for example [:D]

The trouble is, I can't see a way of demoing all of this kit.

Richer Sounds have the exclusive rights on the Cambridge Audio unit, the Monitor Audio BX2's are available at Audio T but not Richer Sounds (according to their web site) and the Onkyo receiver is at both.

I'm considering just buying the items individually and hoping for the best - they must all be several generations better than my current setup, hower I previously bought my hi-fi separates after auditioning a number of units before I was happy with the selection (I remember the 1992 Marantz CD player was a little too bright for my liking at the time).
In addition to the above I've visited my local Audio T a couple of times and frankly have been left pretty cold at the reception I got, which makes me reluctant to hand over my money to a company that wasn't that friendly.
Do Richer Sounds offer demo's ?

Does the proposed setup seem like a good combination?

Would anyone have any recommendations on speaker and interconnect cables?

Can anyone think of a way to demo all the proposed units together?
- If not is there a substitute component that would allow them to be demo'd together?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Jason

You could demo the rest of the equipment (except the CA 650BD) and buy it if you're happy, then order the 650BD online from Richer Sounds. Buying it online gives you a 7-day period to demo at home with your setup. I'm sure you'll be happy. If not, simply return the blu-ray player.
emotion-21.gif

idc

I would audition before you commit, your old hifi is still a good one and there are many fans of vintage kit on the forum because of the value for money it gives. My hunch would be to try new speakers with your present CD and amp first.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for replying.

Alas I'm really looking to replace the entire lot as the current amp doesn't have an optical input to take the audio from the PS3 and I'm really thinking of the future for surround sound at some point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts