Best height for speaker stands

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, I have a plan for a small project to construct some speaker stands from railway sleeper timber, but i'd appreciated any thoughts on how high they should be, and how much difference the height makes.

Or has anyone made any themselves, and if so, how/pics please?

Cheers,

Dave

A

Anonymous

Yup, as Thaiman says, tweeters positioned level or slightly above your ears (when you are sitting in your listening position;)

A

Anonymous

Agrreed. Tweeters at ear level.

Speaker stands reliant on the height of the speakers. Tall speakers = shorter stands. Short speakers = taller stands

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I don't know why everyone wants stands in the first place. Way too unstable. Put them on the floor. Then about 3 meters out, dig a 1 meter hole. Put your chair in the hole. Problem solved and no stands.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
emotion-1.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired:I don't know why everyone wants stands in the first place. Way too unstable. Put them on the floor. Then about 3 meters out, dig a 1 meter hole. Put your chair in the hole. Problem solved and no stands.

So that's where I've been going wrong all these years.

Do I need a Russ Andrews pick and shovel to dig the whole?
emotion-4.gif

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Woudln't that introduce all sorts of problems with echoes off the floor/ carpet absorbing some sound.

It would be easier just to lie on the floor...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
It can all be solved by sitting in the hole in the floor on some halved squash balls, with green highlighter pen drawn around the holes in your ears.

Oh and a couple of Zapperators crocodile clipped to your nipples will take your mind off the carpet absorbtion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts