Best for sound quality - Squeezebox or Airport express?

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
I currently have my laptop connected to my amp (via a usb soundcard into a Beresford DAC) and wondered which would provide the best sound quality in conjunction with the Beresford DAC - Squeezebox or Airport Express?

Also, I'm planning on hooking my laptop upto a Plasma/LCD screen and would want to stream all audio from the laptop to the amp (i.e. iPlayer, itunes, foobar, and other pc audio). I think I'm right in saying that if I use Airfoil with Airport express this will be possible, would the Squeeze box be able to do this too?

Thanks!

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks madeinstein, I've had a look at the article. Does the fact that (according to the post mentioned) that the squeezebox has a better digital out mean that it ultimately has much better sound quality via a DAC than the Airport Express?

Does anyone out there us an Airport Express with a DAC (I think John Duncan does from reading a different post) and what do they think of it compared to a wired connection for sound quality?

John Duncan

Not with a DAC (yet). The wired sound is woolly - actually sounds very good on classical and instrumental, but noticeably poor definition with vocals.

I'd be surprised if there were much of a difference between the optical outs between the two, but I suspect the analogue out is better on the squeezebox, if you're happy to stick with non-DRM content. Airport Express can be fed by Airfoil, which allows any audio from your PC to get to it (great for BBC radio feeds). But then there's no remote - am going to investigate whether Apple TV can feed an AE, which might offer me that (not going down the iPhone/iPod Touch route just yet). You pays yer money......

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks John. I was looking at using airfoil to stream all the audio I have stored on my laptop and extrenal drive (don't have much DRM music so not an issue).

By wired sound, I mean the comparison between my current set up (laptop to usb soundcard to beresford dac to amp via phono interconnects) as opposed to losing the phono interconnects and replacing them with Airport Express.

I read in another post Clare Newsome saying that with regard to Airprt Express, the data sent from a laptop/source is identical to what the airport express receives at the other end. Therefore the sound quality should be the same as a wired connection... Although of course the sound might be 'coloured' by the interconnects.

What do you think?

John Duncan

OK yes, I would expect wireless and wired (from a networking point of view) to be identical. Theoretically there may come a point when you get network dropouts, though I haven't experienced any over a G Router.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts