Best detail for your (my) buck!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking for a pair of diminutive speakers that will provide me with the highest level of detail, insight, precision etc my money will buy me.

They will powered by my much loved 1998 Rotal RA971 60w amp, which I think would still outperform most of todays amps under £250 - but thats another matter.

I am looking to spend no more than £120, possibly £150. From what I've read about the Dali Lektor 1s, they sound like EXACTLY what I'm looking for, but just a little out of my price range.

I've shortlisted the following - Roth Audio Oli1, W Diamond 9.0, MA BR1, CA S30, Q Acoustics 1010i, Quad L-ite and MS902i (although they're slightly larger they do sound appealing).

I'm just looking for some opinions on the level of detail these models offer from people who've heard them, and other models worth considering that I may have overlooked.

Thanks

T

the record spot

The Roths have a good write-up alright, and they're all decent boxes. Are there any which comes without bass ports? You'll significantly reduce bass boom and gain the detail then without all the "boof boof" from the port. Arguably get a more accurate picture of the music too...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards the Oli1s, that was until .....

..... I just won a pair of almost new Lektor 1s, still with original packaging on ebay for £160!!! Cant believe my luck, Ebay saves the day again!!!

Just need some QED Silver Anniversary XT now, and that'll be job done for my DJ mixing system.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gratulations to your ebay purchase. I heard them at the Bristol show to good effect. My suggestion would have been a pair of Mordaunt Short MS10i Pearls, sometimes available for around £20 in mint condition. Stunning speakers and the equal of any modern budget speaker I've heard. The 20i's are even better but a little bigger. - Epos in all but name.

A

Anonymous

Just got the Lektors home and they are truly superb sounding. The size of the sound from those tiny cabinets is remarkable.

I do have one question for Dali though - why didn't you make them just a little more sensitive than 84db?

The situation is that you need a considerably substantial amp to drive these tiny speakers, which means you have a very inefficient system.

... My 60wpc amp is getting pretty warm to say the least.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Electrostatix:
... I do have one question for Dali though - why didn't you make them just a little more sensitive than 84db?

The situation is that you need a considerably substantial amp to drive these tiny speakers, which means you have a very inefficient system.

... My 60wpc amp is getting pretty warm to say the least.

Normal with such small speakers but as you like the sound it's not really a problem is it?

A

Anonymous

I thought the average sensitivity for a small bookshelf speaker was 86/87/88 these days.

Its not a major problem. However, in these energy-conscious times we live in, it be would nice to use as little electricity as possible. But then again, my gas bill will be reduced now that I can cook my eggs on my amp!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts