Best Debut Album...

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
A personal preference catagory for sure...but as it says in the title, my top choice at the moment is Goldfrapp's Felt Mountain going back 10 years now anyway.

Still have yet to be moved by a debut to the extent that this album managed on first listen, and it continues to surprise and elevate me. Unfortaunately, I don't think they have managed to achieve anything close to this albums energy or novelty since.

It's fresh, experimental and bold, from a band (duo) bursting with ideas, before the bean counters stepped in and spoiled the party...

Any other suggestions...[:D]

A

Anonymous

Psychocandy - The Jesus And Mary Chain

The first time I heard this it was unlike anything I'd heard before. The simple melodies overlaid with that feedback. I never bothered with the top 40 after that.

A

Anonymous

Stone Roses. Although i confess i detested them at first.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Arcade Fire - Funeral

They'll struggle to shrug this one off, or perhaps

REM - Murmur

(full of lovely mumbled lyrics you cant understand, maybe I should give Radiohead another listen!)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Red Dragon:
A personal preference catagory for sure...but as it says in the title, my top choice at the moment is Goldfrapp's Felt Mountain going back 10 years now anyway.

Still have yet to be moved by a debut to the extent that this album managed on first listen, and it continues to surprise and elevate me. Unfortaunately, I don't think they have managed to achieve anything close to this albums energy or novelty since.

It's fresh, experimental and bold, from a band (duo) bursting with ideas, before the bean counters stepped in and spoiled the party...

Any other suggestions...
emotion-2.gif

I'm going with three..

Stone Roses - Stone Roses
Introducing the Hardline According to.. - Terence Trent D'Arby
Whatever People Say I Am.... - Arctic Monkeys

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Agree re Goldfrapp's Felt Mountain, but also think that the next three were also pretty sublime - Seventh Tree is genius, IMHO. But what the hell went wrong with Head First?! Is it brain-fade, a 'contract-breaker', the tank running dry or a temporary blip?
emotion-7.gif

I'm going with the following:

Antony & The Johnsons - Antony & The Johnsons

Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division

Felt Mountain - Goldfrapp

Blue Lines - Massive Attack

The Doors - The Doors

The Clash - The Clash

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground

Coltrane - John Coltrane

Roxy Music - Roxy Music

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
6th.replicant:Agree re Goldfrapp's Felt Mountain, but also think that the next three were also pretty sublime - Seventh Tree is genius, IMHO. But what the hell went wrong with Head First?! Is it brain-fade, a 'contract-breaker', the tank running dry or a temporary blip?
emotion-7.gif

I'm going with the following:

Antony & The Johnsons - Antony & The Johnsons

Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division

Felt Mountain - Goldfrapp

Blue Lines - Massive Attack

The Doors - The Doors

The Clash - The Clash

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground

Coltrane - John Coltrane

Roxy Music - Roxy Music

A comprehensive list, and wouldn't disagree with any of them, but would go further to include;

Radiohead (as they're a hot topic at the moment) with Pablo Honey

Jeff Buckley - Grace (which I still is brilliant and timeless)

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced? (one of the most influential albums of all time?)

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left (a heartbreaking record of immense depth)

The Police - Outlandos d'Amour (an all-time favourite with energy and confidence)

Bjork - Debut (she was so confident she named in Debut ?!)

Portishead - Dummy (another album that is still 'referenced' by todays artists)

I agree that some bands never regain the energy and spirit that they unleashed in their debut albums and constantly strive to repeat the process and to reach higher ground than their initial release promised...I would suggest Bjork, Sade & Terence Trent D'arby all fall into that catagorie...

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
When I saw the thread title I was hoping Stone Roses would be on! Some great calls already - Velvet Underground, Massive Attack, Portishead, Jeff Buckley, Nick Drake.

From recent times, can I throw Editors - The Back Room, and Killers - Hot Fuss, into the mix?
emotion-1.gif

Tonestar1

Agree with The Stone Roses, on of my favorite albums of all time. Good shout for Portishead too

Also

Tom McRae - Tom McRae

Matina Topley Bird - Quixotic

The Strokes - Is This It

Massive Attack - Blue Lines

EDIT Oasis - Definitely Maybe and Cast - All Change and Elbow - Asleep in the Back and Philip Glass - Music with Changing Parts

This could be a long list!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
51Va-XeMP%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Spirit's self titled debut album, featuring the teenage prodigy Randy California, often overshadowed by the later "Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus" album.

Listen to the track Taurus and just see who Jimmy Page ripped off the opening to Stairway to Heaven from.

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Some brilliant suggestions, but I can't belive I forgot The Blue Nile-A Walk Across The Rooftops...a beautiful album that brings back memories of my time back in the 80's in Glasgow when it was playing in every trendy Westend cafe bar !!

4125GVM9JFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
and they just get better and better, but no more prolific...!!! Worth the wait tho...

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Aside from some of the ones already mentioned:

1) The Tennessee Fire - My Morning Jacket

2) Tigermilk - Belle & Sebastian

3) Please - Pet Shop Boys

4) Can't Buy A Thrill - Steely Dan

Greatest "second album" of all time:

Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys
At Dawn - My Morning Jacket

Another sub-division: not incredible debuts by artists who went on to greatness:

Bob Dylan & Neil Young's eponymous debuts, The Smiths and, oh yes, The Beatles.

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
That's a whole new topic Charlie......best second album = Oasis "What's the Story"

best third album.....easy Bruce Springsteen; "Born To run"

worst second album U2; "October"

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I have chosen albums where the debut was both a great album and as good as anything else they did subsequently.

UK UK

Tori Amos Little Earthquakes

Tom Waits Closing Time

King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts