Best cartridge for Rega RP3

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi, have a Rega RP3 with the default Elys2. Thinks it lacks edge. Remember old Ortofon on Thorens giving a much more exciting sound. Which is the best cartridge for Rega RP3 without having to adjust the arm height?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi

my Rega dealer represents the brand in Portugal for almoust 30 years, he knows TTs like the back or is hand and he represents brands like:

- Well Temptered Labs

- Clearaudio

- Dynavector

- Grado

- Goldring

- ORG/MOFI/ Speakers Conner/Naim Label

- QED/VTL/TOTEM

what i want to say by posting the brands that he represents in Portugal is that he knows the vinyl market, and in times that the vinyl was about ti die he stood tall and didn't give up!

I've bought my RP3 with a Goldring 1012 gx because he said it was the best performance in a VFM ratio.

My sound is clear, with a good and present bass, detaild and smooth! I felt in love with vinyl all again.

Best REGArds

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks! Think I'll have to go and audiition a couple of cartridges. The closest place would be Copenhagen, Ortofon is Danish and is probably available everywhere. It is too much money to buy via post order and have to setup.

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi, keep us up to date please , about your audition , I dont like Elys 2 because of inner groove distortion so I am looking for some other cart.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
A few of my records, maybe 2-3 display some inner groove distortion but have over 200 do its odd its only in a few records with the Elys 2

i am quite happy with the Elys 2 but I have been playing it a lot do would be interested in what cart you get next as mine could be due a change soon thinking about an ortofon blue

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
A few of my records, maybe 2-3 display some inner groove distortion but have over 200 do its odd its only in a few records with the Elys 2

i am quite happy with the Elys 2 but I have been playing it a lot do would be interested in what cart you get next as mine could be due a change soon thinking about an ortofon blue

Hi Steve

Go for a Goldring 1012gx, you wont regret it !

You could save the money on the first time... ;)

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi, stevebrock what is your setting of the tonearm for elys 2 ? (vtf,bias ) according to rega 1,7g , I just can't get rid of that distortion on inner grooves

It is really annoying :mad:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
domenn said:
Hi, stevebrock what is your setting of the tonearm for elys 2 ? (vtf,bias ) according to rega 1,7g , I just can't get rid of that distortion on inner grooves

It is really annoying :mad:

Hi domenn

one of this days i want to talk to you about your V-Link 2.

:cheers:

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
If the rega cart is set up using the 3 bolts, go to vinyl engine and download the stephenson and baerwald protractors and try them with 2 bolts. You may prefer one of them.

The best overall sound balance i had with my p3 was using a denon dl110.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
The Goldring 1042 was great with my P3-24.

Got it after recommendations from this very forum.

Only when I Inspired the turntable did I change to a MC cartridge. ( I stil have the Goldring, looking for a home :)

Critical Mass

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi. First timer and a bit of a TT novice. Sorry for digging up an old thread. So I just bought a RP3, 2nd hand, which came with a Grado silver cart. I had to get a small repair done to it which meant taking out the cart. So now I'm about to refit it, so can anyone give me advice or do's and don'ts for setting it up. I have a protractor to allign the cart, so am I right in saying I need to set the tracking force and bias to that recommended for the Grado cart, which I believe is 1.5g??

Thanks for your help and apologies for the rookie questions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts