Best Buy con

Best Buy was offering a 20% discount through Quidco until yesterday.

I decided to avail of this offer & tried ordering a Samsung UE32C6510 (£480 after discount was not a bad deal at all), but everytime I entered my card details, I got an error message & the order wouldn't process. I tried different cards & even opened another account in mywife's name but to no avail. I called their customer service who were a bit rude on the phone & were of no help. The put the blame on Quidco, although Quidco insisted there was nothing wrong on their end.

Turns out, this was a widespread problem with many angry customers. This, to me, looks like a scam by Best Buy to entice more traffic onto their website.

I have complained to the Trading Standards. I'll never buy anything from Best Buy again (I've heard horror stories about their customer service in US & UK).

I've placed an order for the TV on Amazon now. Nothing beats their customer service.

D

Deleted member 2457

Does not surprise me, looked on their website several times and realised nothing is quite what it seems - most of the time.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Calling something a 'con' before you know the full facts is somewhat defamatory (libellous, actually)
emotion-40.gif

Understand your frustration Big Boss - and it'll be interesting to see what Trading Standards say (please keep us updated).

It may be, of course, that so many people were trying to take up the offer that the site couldn't cope. Or indeed a technical issue between the sites. Just a thought....

Anyhow, we've asked Best Buy for an official response.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I work for a company that uses Quidco and other affiliates and they can drive massive traffic to a site. So it could just be that it did crash.

Fair enough Clare, but if it was a genuine technical issue, the customer service could have:

1) given one consistent explanation, rather than different reasons when you call at different times (problem with the credit card issuer, problem with quidco, problem with cookies on my computer etc.)

2) genuinely tried to help with the order, by chasing it up & getting back to me, or placing an order for me from their end.

I'll keep posted regarding any updates on my complaint.

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
bigboss:
Fair enough Clare, but if it was a genuine technical issue, the customer service could have:

1) given one consistent explanation, rather than different reasons when you call at different times (problem with the credit card issuer, problem with quidco, problem with cookies on my computer etc.)

2) genuinely tried to help with the order, by chasing it up & getting back to me, or placing an order for me from their end.

I'll keep posted regarding any updates on my complaint.
Go for it bigboss, I hate bad customer service and there seems to be plenty about from big companies. My wife order some cloths from house of Fraser in the sale with hir Christmas money no call or email she phoned them same as your experience 10 different excuses no call backs and finally said well you've got your money back what's the problem. The problem was the sales had ended, well all the good stuff gone, she was very disappointed the 90 pound she's got will hardly buy hir anything now...

peddie44

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Its a problem on their website that you get when you go through a link from quidco (I don't use quidco but use topcashback which is pretty much the same thing with the same deal).

If you go from topcashback to their website then add whatever you are after, an error comes up, but rest assured it is in your basket.

Close your browser and then open it up again and go back to bestbuy. Your item should be in your basket, and the website will now work. Job's a good 'un.

I have just done this yesterday, cashback tracked etc. etc, no problems.

Received 2 different replies from Best Buy today:

At 7am

Thank you for the email you've sent regarding your interest in the Samsung Television. I'm sorry to hear that you
experiencing difficulties ordering from the Quidco website. I can
confirm that offers available on their website can only by accessed by
contacting their Customer Service team directly. If you have
difficulties contacting this department please contact one of our
advisors at Best Buy who will be happy to help you further. In the mean time, if there is anything
else we can do to help, click reply or alternatively you can contact
our dedicated customer services team on 0333 777 7777.

At 2pm

Thank you for your Email. I do apologies for the problems you've
incurred with trying to order from us and it is an issue we are aware
of. Due to an unexpected level of fraud incurred over the Christmas
period we increased the security levels on our website. This is to
protect ourselves and our customers from fraudulent orders. As a
consequence of this a small percentage of our customers are failing
authorisation on their payments. I understand this may not be the answer
you were hoping for but these measures were put in place to protect
ourselves and our customers. If there is any thing else we can do
to help, click reply or alternatively you can contact our dedicated
customer services team on 0333 777 7777.

I had contacted Best Buy on 2 separate occasions (first one 3 days ago & second one 2 days ago). The second response came when I threatened to report to Trading Standards. Otherwise they weren't even accepting that the fault was with their website (although their excuse is still flimsy..........I've never had such a problem in my extensive 7 years of online shopping. I have bought almost everything I own (including my car & except the home cinema system) online & have never faced such a problem with "security".

Bet Buy is definitely on my black list now, as someone who isn't open & transparent to its customers.

A

Anonymous

i have to say i don't like this "act the fool" philosophy that exists with some of these retailers. the fact is if the deal was real they should have sorted you out over the phone bb, organising the sale of the item at the price advertised with an apology for the inconvenience caused

but they didn't, so i doubt anyone availed of the offer, and it probably was just a ploy to get people onto their website imo.

when will these companies learn that taking people for fools will cost them business in the long term..

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, I have the official response from Best Buy:

Best Buy response:

"Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We're really sorry to hear about the experience you have received. We want to assure you that this is definitely not the level of customer service we aim to
provide to our customers.

We apologise for you being directed to Quidco to resolve your situation - this should not have happened and we have reiterated the guidance that
our customer care team should provide to customers in this situation as
the link with Quidco was working correctly.

We can assure you that the limited period offer was not a con; there are many satisfied customers who have taken advantage of this offer. We continue to work in close partnership with Quidco to offer our customers
the best value we can.

Your transaction may have been declined for a number of reasons including your bank declining your request or an incorrect postcode match. We obviously can't go into details of our security criteria on a public
forum, but we can give you the name and number of our Customer Service
Manager who can discuss your specific order.

We completely understand the frustration with your experience with Best Buy and the obvious inconvenience caused. We do hope that you'll consider shopping with Best Buy in the future to give us a chance to
demonstrate we can do better."

Big Boss: as mentioned above, we've been given the direct contact details of Best Buy's customer service manager. Please let me know if you want them and i'll email them on....

I sent an email to Best Buy over the weekend:

"I got your email from Clare Newsome, Editor-in-Chief at What Hi-Fi with reference to the thread at What Hi-Fi forums: http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/563249.aspx My forum name is bigboss.

I've already posted the problem I've faced on the forum. I was quite disappointed with the different excuses I got from customer services, & all being unable to help me.

In my extensive 7 years of online shopping in which I have bought almost everything I own (including my car) online, I have never faced such a problem with "security".

I'm really surprised that a big company like yours is totally helpless in front of the technology, all in the name of "security measures to protect our customers". The technology is meant to work for us; we should not end up being slaves of technology. Why don't you have a simple system of "manual over ride" which the customer service person can use to "unlock" an account? Obviously, if someone is physically calling & talking to the customer service representative on the phone, it's unlikely to be a fraud, isn't it? It also will show the customer your personal service which they will appreciate. I don't really have to tell you all this; I'm sure all this you would have learnt during your training.

To be honest, you guys really need to work on your customer service. You can learn a lot from the likes of John Lewis & Amazon. Instead of maintaining this shocking attitude of "I'm sorry" & "Unfortunately", for once, try to work towards pleasing your customers. John Lewis & Amazon both go out of their way to keep their customers happy. It's obvious that I'm going to be their loyal customer forever.

If a 20% discount is on offer, it's really not going to cost much to the company for the customer service person to offer the discount on the phone, as a gesture of goodwill. This 'investment' in a customer will reward you with their lifetime patron. I'm only 33, & you've potentially lost a customer forever who's going to earn for the next 35 years at least.

After facing the rude attitude of the customer service on the phone, can you ever expect my custom? If this is what you do at sales point, I can only expect far worse outcomes at service point.

The economy is at its worst, & you'll do well to retain your customers.

Thank you."

I got a call from the customer service manager at Best Buy yesterday, but I was busy at work. So he called me again today at a mutually agreed time. He apologized for the problems I faced and my experience with the customer service. He said that this was a known issue with Best Buy website, & the customer service representative shouldn't have put the blame on Quidco. He defended the security measures adopted by the Best Buy website (despite me pointing out that I've not faced such "security problems" in any other website including large players liike Amazon). He will look into the problems specific to me & get back to me by Thursday.

A

Anonymous

any response is irrelevant and only to save face, the fact is they didn't honour the offer at the time, and the excuses they have given are nonsense.

when it comes to customer service they could do with taking a leaf out of richer sounds book imo, although if they are intent on offering phantom deals that are designed to generate web traffic, then i guess apologising to the customer, and asking him/her to contact them so that the issue can be resolved to the customers satisfaction will set an unwanted precedent..

A

Anonymous

I've had a moan or 2 on these forums about Whathifi in the past, but credit where its due Clare I think you deserve some praise for getting involved and trying to hold Best Buy to account.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Thank you - all part of our role as a consumer mag/website.

Also just (as ever) trying to get some clarity on the situation, because otherwise, comments like this

maxflinn:

if they are intent on offering phantom deals that are designed
to generate web traffic, then i guess apologising to the customer, and
asking him/her to contact them so that the issue can be resolved to the
customers satisfaction will set an unwanted precedent..

are meaningless speculation and not helpful. We're interested in the facts!

I received a call from the Manager on Friday. He couldn't find the reason for my order to not go through. He did make an offer for me, but I had already bought the TV.

One of my friends liked my TV a lot, & wanted to buy one for herself. So I decided to try Best Buy again after opening a new account for her from her laptop, & guess what, I again got the message: "We're extremely sorry but we are unable to process your order at this time. Please click Exit Checkout and try again after 24 hours."

Even though I appreciate the gesture by the manager to call me to resolve the matter, he didn't accept that there was a problem with the website. I'm not going to try buying from Best Buy again.....entering card details so many times is risky enough.

A

Anonymous

The word on the street is, Bestbuy dont pay that much quidco on large purchases.

I am still waiting for my money from my harmony one in december.

If you look on MSE and Hot uk deals people complain about bestbuy and Quidco all the time.

I have started using topcashback and have not had any problems so far.

Its either Quidco or bestbuy. How hard is it to get Bestbuy manager and Quidco manager to sit down and find out whats going on?

I am treating Bestbuy the same as PC world, rubbish Customer service, with no product knowledge.

Please dont come to cardiff, we have enough currys and Pc worlds here already. I for one wont shop there.

Give me Amazon or costco anyday, Thats how to treat a customer.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss:

I received a call from the Manager on Friday. He couldn't find the reason for my order to not go through. He did make an offer for me, but I had already bought the TV.

One of my friends liked my TV a lot, & wanted to buy one for herself. So I decided to try Best Buy again after opening a new account for her from her laptop, & guess what, I again got the message: "We're extremely sorry but we are unable to process your order at this time. Please click Exit Checkout and try again after 24 hours."

Even though I appreciate the gesture by the manager to call me to resolve the matter, he didn't accept that there was a problem with the website. I'm not going to try buying from Best Buy again.....entering card details so many times is risky enough.

Yep, that is not good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts