Best audiophile headphone for a newbie

bruhmomentum

Jan 6, 2022
Visit site
Hello im looking to enter the audiophile world. i curently own a pc38x so take that into consideration.

the most recommended have been the hd600 and the sundara. now this is hard for me coz i love vocals but i also love my electronic music.

and i know hd600 is better for vocals and sundara is better for edm but sadly i can only choose one.

which of these two is the better all rounder. I do not listen to metal/classical/jazz. So which suits my needs better.

Gray

...i know hd600 is better for vocals and sundara is better for edm
Do you?
Presumably that's based on the opinions of others.
You need to at least confirm that for yourself before making a choice.
I thought I knew how headphones were going to sound....before rejecting them - once I actually knew how they sounded 🙁
(I prefer my HD560S to the HD600, you might hate both for all I know).

Last edited:

bruhmomentum

Jan 6, 2022
Visit site
Do you?
Presumably that's based on the opinions of others.
You need to at least confirm that for yourself before making a choice.
I thought I knew how headphones were going to sound....before rejecting them - once I actually knew how they sounded 🙁
well i think i know coz like 99 percent of people say so lol. the mid range is more focused on hd600 plus its more intimate and on the sundara the bass is more focused while also being brighter in treble and having a wider soundstage.

well i think i know coz like 99 percent of people say so lol. the mid range is more focused on hd600 plus its more intimate and on the sundara the bass is more focused while also being brighter in treble and having a wider soundstage.
again that's only other people's opinions. They may have slightly different hearing to you.
What 99 % of people??

Gray

well i think i know coz like 99 percent of people say so lol.
Exactly why I 'knew' 🙂

It's true, you can't really ignore what the majority are saying.
But take my example. Bought the HD560S. Then saw / read so many positive reviews of the AKG712Pro, had to give them a go. Both described as neutral, monitor headphones. From all the reviews (and pricing) I expected the AKG to be better. I found the 560S to be better, others would definitely disagree with me.
Take any recommendation, maybe add it to your shortlist, but sadly there's just no substitute for listening and judging for yourself.

Reactions: doifeellucky

idc

If there is any way you can listen to even one of them, take it. Otherwise, it is a bit of a lottery sound wise and you may as well chose on price and comfort. My shortlist boils down to felt/fabric pads, which work better with glasses and a cable the comes out of the left can, because of where I sit in relation to my amp.

Reactions: Gray and Al ears

bruhmomentum

Jan 6, 2022
Visit site
If there is any way you can listen to even one of them, take it. Otherwise, it is a bit of a lottery sound wise and you may as well chose on price and comfort. My shortlist boils down to felt/fabric pads, which work better with glasses and a cable the comes out of the left can, because of where I sit in relation to my amp.
there is no way to listen to them in my country. i can purchase both and return one but good god that will look costly to my parents even though we get the money back for whichever headphone i dont like. i cant really do that.

bruhmomentum

Jan 6, 2022
Visit site
I suspect most of the '99%' are repeating what they have read on forums and do not actually own them.
The HD600 and the Sundara are both open backs.... If you value bass response for electronica, have you considered a good closed back like the Shure SRH1540?
i know theyre both open backs bro. i just want to know if i listen to both genres which is better. i need the one that is tge better all rounder whuch doesnt loose out on what the other one excels on. like say the sundaras vocals. how much worse would one rate them than a hd600. and then how much worse is the hd600 bass and so on and so forth to come to a conclusion

Tinman1952

i know theyre both open backs bro. i just want to know if i listen to both genres which is better. i need the one that is tge better all rounder whuch doesnt loose out on what the other one excels on. like say the sundaras vocals. how much worse would one rate them than a hd600. and then how much worse is the hd600 bass and so on and so forth to come to a conclusion
I think the point many are making is that there is no objective 'better' ... and it is certainly not quantifiable. It depends on YOUR hearing and what you prefer. They are both excellent headphones and will be an improvement on your gaming headphones.
If you asked me I would go for the HD600...but as I say that's just MY choice...not yours. 🙂

bruhmomentum

Jan 6, 2022
Visit site
I think the point many are making is that there is no objective 'better' ... and it is certainly not quantifiable. It depends on YOUR hearing and what you prefer. They are both excellent headphones and will be an improvement on your gaming headphones.
If you asked me I would go for the HD600...but as I say that's just MY choice...not yours. 🙂
ok thanks for your answer. now can i hear your opinion on why you class them higher. Sorry if i seem very demanding but no one on the internet tells you exactly why and its frustrating to me. AGAIN SORRY IF I SEEM LIKE AN ASS.

ok thanks for your answer. now can i hear your opinion on why you class them higher. Sorry if i seem very demanding but no one on the internet tells you exactly why and its frustrating to me. AGAIN SORRY IF I SEEM LIKE AN ASS.
No one in the internet can tell you exactly why for a reason. As many stated headphones are very personal things and you are only looking at two?
why not audition and buy something that Is available in your country?
There has to be some dealers in your country.
Failing that, and you are dead set on these two, I suggest you buy the cheapest and return them if you don't like them.

Reactions: idc and Tinman1952

Gray

...how much worse is the hd600 bass
I haven't heard the Sundara but I did have the 600 at home for a while. My guess is that its bass wouldn't be ideal for your EDM. Obviously, on such a well liked headphone nothing is going to be disastrous, but its bass was not its strong point in my opinion.

But again, what's the 'best' bass?
Some like loads, even if it's a bit warm and indistinct.
I prefer it tighter - but some describe my headphones as bass light. They're not. It's just that the bass is not exaggerated, as it is on many other headphones......depends how you like it. Don't rule out the closed back option from the likes of Beyer.

Reactions: Tinman1952

camcroft

I haven't heard the Sundara but I did have the 600 at home for a while. My guess is that its bass wouldn't be ideal for your EDM. Obviously, on such a well liked headphone nothing is going to be disastrous, but its bass was not its strong point in my opinion.

But again, what's the 'best' bass?
Some like loads, even if it's a bit warm and indistinct.
I prefer it tighter - but some describe my headphones as bass light. They're not. It's just that the bass is not exaggerated, as it is on many other headphones......depends how you like it. Don't rule out the closed back option from the likes of Beyer.
I think headphones are hard to judge and very dependent on the music or shall I say the way its produced. I have just invested in a new set of planar headphones which I am loving but they differ on different albums / tracks some sound loud with depth and others sound lower in the volume and tone which tells me all music is not equal so all headphones cant be judged equally I sometimes put a track on and have to turn it down others need the volume increasing and a lot depends on the equipment that you use them with.

Gray

I think headphones are hard to judge and very dependent on the music or shall I say the way its produced. I have just invested in a new set of planar headphones which I am loving but they differ on different albums / tracks some sound loud with depth and others sound lower in the volume and tone which tells me all music is not equal so all headphones cant be judged equally I sometimes put a track on and have to turn it down others need the volume increasing and a lot depends on the equipment that you use them with.
....and just as with speakers (because that's what they are after all) some people prefer types that disguise poorly recorded stuff, others (like me) prefer to hear things as they are.

Friesiansam

@bruhmomentum, the only way you can settle this is to try the headphones you are considering for yourself. You need to remember, it's not just what you like listening to you need to consider, or other people's opinions, the sound of every headphone will affected by the shape of your own ears and, one persons comfortable-for-hours headphones, could be too loose, too tight or too heavy for you. If you can't try them at a retailer, buy online from a seller with a good returns policy.

doifeellucky

Not many (whoever they are) tend to recommend the 600 these days because of the 6XX, though they tend to only be available across the pond. Another factor is than many will no doubt recommend an amp for both the 600 and Sundara. A whole other discussion (takes can opener out of the drawer).

doifeellucky

I’d probably suggest you review whatever sources brought you to these two and just count the votes. I’m sure most will have a preference. My money, based on opinions I’ve read/heard, would be on the Sundara, but I’ve never heard either.

Tinman1952

You choose......🙂

Reactions: Al ears

You choose......🙂
odd description of the 600s, good for critical listening?
just who wears headphones for background music??

Reactions: Tinman1952

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts