Best amp with B&W 684

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking for advice on selecting a new integrated amp to match my B&W 684s. My musical taste is eclectic and ranges from classical to rock. Based on reviews and availability I'm considering (so far) Yamaha A-S500, CA 650a or Rotel RA-1520. My budget is around £700.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Dont agree with the above comment at all

I think for the OP's taste in music (and more so with regards to the B&W 684's) the C/A amp would be found lacking

Out of the list above I'd go for the Rotal RA1520 every time. However the RA06SE shouldnt be discounted either nor should the NAD C356BEE.

Would the OP look at 2nd hand amps at all; a lot more can be hand for your money going down the 2nd hand route!

The likes of (if you can find one); a Roksan K2 would be good. If not the Roksan Kandy LIII, NAD C355BEE, Arcam Alpha 10 integrated or an Arcam DiVA A85 would also fit the bill very well.

The latter Arcam amps can be had for a lot less than your budget limit so you could potentially look to add their matching power amps as well.

This would REALLY suit your speakers and tatse in music as well
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

not too sure abotu the CA650 in particular but Ive tried the CA740 with the 684s, didnt really like what i heard. As hifilover said, lacking is exactly how i would put it. It just didnt sound right to my ears. I attribute this to the 'sound' character of the CA amp which i *assume* should be the same for the 650. best to hear it yourself though..

A

Anonymous

My friendly Hi-Fi store kindly allowed me to home audition the following amps:-

Cambridge Audio 840a, Rotel RA-06se and Rotel RA-1520

The RA-1520 was the hands down winner which made my purchase decision easy.

It was also a comfort to see that the WHF Jan 2011 issue gave five stars to the B&W 684/Rotel RA-1520 combo.

Thanks to all who offered advice on this forum. I'm extremely happy with my new system.

AKMH

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Just curious as to which aspect of the Cambridge Audio sound you did not find suitable with the 684s? My HiFi dealer suggested that the B&W speakers tend to respond better to more muscular amps. I myself auditioned the CA 840A which sounded very good to me, particularly when using XLR inputs with a compatible CD player. I also auditioned the lower priced CA amps with B&W but the 840A sounded far better. Unfortunately, my dealer doesn't stock Rotel amps so I couldn't compare.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I have always been of the impression that NAD and B&W go together very well and had such a system in the late 80s.

A friend has the current versions and I gave him a loan of my K2 amp while on holiday. He said the K2 gave is system a kick in the nads
emotion-5.gif

This could tie in with the comment on the B&Ws needing a muscular amp.

A

Anonymous

For me personally I just dont like the Cambridge Audio sound; same with Naim and Roksan etc...

Everyones different but I think most will agree that the B&W 684's need a gutsy amp behind them for them to sound their best

A

Anonymous

I found the CA 840a a tad too neutral compared to the Rotel. Despite the RA-1520 being rated at only 60W the bass is tight and the sound is effortless - to my ears anyway.

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Another 684 member!!! I was pretty close to buying the RA-1520 which was on sale as an ex-demo for £450! But as I was just about to purchase it, I was told it was sold :(

But no worries, I got the next best thing. Glad you liked the 684, had mine just over a month and I swear they just seem to be getting better and better!

TRENDING THREADS