Best amp to go with a Marantz cd5005?

Smarty

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone, just joined the forum.

I'm looking for a bit of advice. What is the best amp to go with a Marantz cd5005? I currently have an old Denon PMA-720 (not the recent version) and Mission 702 speakers. The sound is at times a bit muddy when going through the speakers. I feel that the amp is the issue and isn't working well with the Marantz, hence wanting to change for something more complimentary. Budget is around £400, and I'm not fussed about DAC capabilities. Look forward to hearing your views.

It is hard to say for sure. Your speakers are getting on a bit, and a quick skim of some reviews suggests they weren't exactly renowned for their bass clarity and precision. A different amplifier will sound different, and the recently discontinued Marantz PM6005 might be all you need. Equally the later Denon was very popular and well thought of.

Can you find a dealer with both that you can take your speakers to? Maybe a Richer Sounds branch?

Smarty

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I do have a Richer Sounds nearby. I didn't think about the Missions and their age! Thanks for the advice on that, will definitely take them with me when I book a demo room slot.

Smarty said:
Hi everyone, just joined the forum.

I'm looking for a bit of advice. What is the best amp to go with a Marantz cd5005? I currently have an old Denon PMA-720 (not the recent version) and Mission 702 speakers. The sound is at times a bit muddy when going through the speakers. I feel that the amp is the issue and isn't working well with the Marantz, hence wanting to change for something more complimentary. Budget is around £400, and I'm not fussed about DAC capabilities. Look forward to hearing your views.

Personally, and as has already been suggested, if your Denon is still OK I would concentrate your efforts on changing your speakers and not the amp. Most amps do just that, amplifiy, and the suggestion that they either work well or not with a CDP{ is a bit misleading. Get your source and speakers right first before you worry about the amp, and your source appears to be fine.

If you are determined to get an amp then look at the Marantz PM6006 or the Cambridge Audio Azur 651A.

Smarty

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
The Denon seems to be fine, I actually have yet to across any reviews for it. I think it came out in the 1990s. The only thing I'm not wholly convinced about is the tone controls.

Smarty said:
The Denon seems to be fine, I actually have yet to across any reviews for it. I think it came out in the 1990s. The only thing I'm not wholly convinced about is the tone controls.

Why woiuld you need reviews for something you already own :)

It actually arrived on the scene in 1989, the latest version is highly regarded.

Tone controls, used correctly, can be quite a handy thing to have. These days most manufacturers consider them superflous.

They can always be defeated if you don't use them and, if you are selling it on, it can sometimes help to have them as an option.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
The newer version of that Denon goes for about 180 pounds now afaik. My friend got one recently and it's a very good amp for the price IMO. With 220 pounds left over for speakers you could give your system a very modern makeover. I think it is said that amps might not be so good after years of use due components not being as effecient etc, which I think is why many replace components on the more upmarket models

Smarty

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Haha, I was just curious as to how it was received when it came out. I bought it second hand (although it not been used by the guy's Father who I bought it off, still all boxed up) in 2011 so l was buying it solely because it was Denon and that it might be relatively decent.

matthewpiano

If your existing Denon is working fine, a change to a modern £200/sub-£200 amp is going to be a sideways move at best.

If you really want a change the current PMA-720ae is a very good amp, though it can sound a bit soft around the edges and it needs relatively straight-forward speakers to give its best. I doubt it would solve your issues with muddiness in the bass. Mine works very well with Wharfedale Diamond 220s, but the Rotel RA-01 controls my Dynaudios much better. Rotel has a new descendent of my RA-01 coming out, called the A-10 and that seems to be priced at £350. I've always had good experiences with Rotel amps and they seem to grip more difficult speakers better than most budget amps. The RA-04SE is the only budget amp I've heard really get the best out of the B&W 686, for example, in a way that even an Arcam A18 at twice the price couldn't achieve. (For your info, the line was RA-01, RA-04, RA-04SE, RA-10, and now the new A-10, and the changes in internal design are relatively subtle, following Rotel's emphasis on simplicity and balance).

Onkyo amps are also well worth looking at if you want affordable but with a bit more grip. The A-9010(UK) is very musical indeed. I've heard it through MA Bronze 2s sounding superb.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts