Best Amp, CD player and speaker combo under 1500?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI

Does anyone know any good combinations for this budget? I listen to a broad range and would like to get enough bass without needing a subwoofer and for acoustic guitar and vocals in particular to be of high quality.

The Marantz budget package with perhaps the B&W685's is a starting point but I am wondering if I can spend a little bit more and get significantly better soun, or if I should also lok at other items.

Your thoughts?

A

Anonymous

Either you have very strange sleeping habits or you're in North America... Are we talking notes or bills?

A

Anonymous

Hi soundingoff, perhaps the Marantz CD6002 and Marantz PM6002. That will leave you with over 900GBP for a pair of loudspeakers. Perhaps a pair of Monitor Audio RS6's will leave you change for a good pair of analogue interconnects (maybe The Chord Company Cobra 3) and a good pair of loudspeaker cables (maybe The Chord Company SilverScreen).

A

Anonymous

I'd put a CA CDP and a Beresford DAC for the ipod with a NAD amp... Now I know not many people extol unmatched systems in this price range, and the boxes won`t all match. But (with a few exceptions) mix and match systems usually sound the best.

By my count:

NAD C325 270
CA 640C 280
Beresford 109

total: 660

Leaves about 6-700 to play with for cables and speakers. I`d buy Epos M12i`s at 519 myself.

That`d be 1180 total before taxes. So you could squeeze in some decent speaker cables and ask your S.O. for interconnects for Xmas. Bam! You`re done.

So that`s my advice. But you`ve opened the proverbial can of it so there`ll be lots of differing opinions. Have fun!

matthewpiano

Firstly Ray Palmer's suggestion is excellent and you should audition this. The NAD C325 will give you the sound you seem to be looking for. Its a fantastic amp and well beyond the PM6002 in my opinion. The Epos M12is will leave the 685s for dead as well IMO.

On the subject of the PM6002, its just not good enough for the RS6s. Whereas the NAD sounds a lot more expensive than it is, the Marantz shouts budget amp pretty much all of the time and its bass is a particular weak point. The CD6002 falls short of the CA 640 as well because of its splashy treble. The Cambridge is the better player, again IMO.

I think you would struggle to improve on Ray Palmer's suggestion for the money and if you buy the titanium finish it will match the silver Cambridge well visually as well.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Soundingoff.

My suggestion does involve a subwoofer though many use the system without; AVI ADM9.1

I probably won't get anywhere with my nomination on this forum but I had numerous systems systems/components comprising the latest products here recently, most of them more expensive than your suggested budget and none come close in performance and value for money imo.

It is 'high end' on a budget.

Good luck with your search.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
For £1500 or less, IMO, i'd be looking at the Roksan Kandy LIII amp, the matching Roksan Kandy CDP and B&W 685 speakers with Partington stands

You could also consider the Cyrus 6v2 integrated amp with the Rega Apollo CDP and B&W speakers as well.

Have you thought about going down the eBay route and getting decent 2nd hand separates (better quality for less £££)?

What would be handy to know is what music do you listen to? What kind of room will the system be going in to and do you want standmount speakers or floorstanders or are you not too bothered?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Either that, or a number of places are doing the last generation Kandy amp & CD for £975/995, Your 685s cost £380, this leaves £120/150 for a pair of stands and your cabling.

EDIT: Just re-read the posts thorougly, and I've basically just repeated what DAN1979 said! Great minds think alike!

;-)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:But alternatively, if you want 'traditional', that 1500 quid system from Richer must be in with a shout, no? Free speakers......

I think you're right JD. That system again is (imo) in a different league to most afromentioned products. The facilities, power and sound quality of the 840 series is astonishing. I'd put them right on top of the pile if you value refinement, detail and power. They can sound a little bit less fluid and warm than say the new Kandy K2's, also very nice, subtle sounding components. The CA's are slightly more transparent. Both are good with accoustic and voices, which I listen to a lot. Neither is as good as the AVI's.

Imagine a sound in between the two, with even more perceived power and that probably sums it up. On their own they are very good but add a sub and the music is magical and totally involving.

This is of course only my opinion and you may not like them. Auditioning is mandatory but I agree with John's recommendation too. A must listen at your budget.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Wow, Thanks a lot. You've given me great leads. I am in the MIddle East and about to travel to Melanesia via Australia to start new contract, so I think my purchase will either be made here and shipped or made in Australia. Hopefully I can get all the gear there.

The room will not be large, but I would guess it will be an average size lounge on a 3 bedroom house... say 8 x 8 x 2.4 metres???

I listen to a broad range. It is easier to say what I don't listen to - hip-hop, rap, and house dance sort of stuff.

We had Polk Rti8's with a Denon 1308 before we left our country and that was fun, but now I have shown the missus the bookshlf speakers on stands, she is quite keen on those.

Thanks again, really appreciate your willingness to help out.

A

Anonymous

mmmm good point I guess more like 5.5-6m square is may be more realistic

I went to London once and yes the rooms were a bit hobbit-like.

Another question - I have most of my music in Mp3 - how severe will the quality difference be between an iPod playing through dock and a CD? Anyway around this? Can I burn CD's of Mp3 files at higher bitrate and therefore play through CDP?

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts