Best 2021 speakers

alfa74

Dec 6, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
Is there any reason you think there should have been?
No.
I'm not an expert in audio peripherals but I'm curious to know if Cambridge Audio speakers are out of this list because they are worst than the others or if there's another particular reason.

shipworm-archaism-recede

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
Yes, I'm evaluating Cambridge Audio and ELAC, mainly.
It's the first time I setup an audio system.
Whilst the opinion of journalists and testers might help you narrow down a shortlist, I think the best advice anyone can give you is that you need to try the equipment in your own environment. It's what you like to listen to that is most important. Make full use of distance-selling regulations to try things out.

I don't know if you are aware of them, but I happened to listen to a couple of podcasts from John Darko aimed at beginners recently. You might find them helpful. I think they give a great deal of solid advice on how to go about choosing, and it is delivered at a slow, comfortable pace. Each one has lots of extra links to the equipment they discuss and recommend too.

Tinman1952

Hi.
I would like to know why there isn't a Cambridge Audio speaker in the Best of 2021 list.

Alberto
What HiFi often miss out some obvious products from their 'best of' lists...
I had the Cambridge Aero 2 speakers years ago with their innovative BMR tweeter and they were excellent speakers...I gave them to my son 🙂 I know one reviewer who raved over the Aero 5 floorstanders.
As stated above they seem to be concentrating on components at the moment.

Reactions: alfa74

alfa74

Dec 6, 2021
Visit site
Thank you all for the advices.

As I said I'm building my first Hi-Fi system. I bought a Denon AVC-S660H.
I'm looking for 2 front speakers, 1 central and a subwoofer.
At the moment I don't care about rear speakers because I'm not a huge fan of movies effects.
The maximum budget I can spend for those 4 speakers is 1.000 euro.

Looking around I found:

2 x Klipsch Reference R-41M
1 x Klipsch Reference R-52C
1 x Klipsch R-100SW 150 W

Total: 982 euro.

shipworm-archaism-recede

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
I've not been a fan of movie effects in the past either. That said, I find Apple's foray into spatial audio for music (= Dolby Atmos as I understand it) interesting. It will be fascinating to see if/how artists and recording studios embrace it. I can imagine an AV amp and speaker setup coming onto my wish list if it opens up a whole new area of enjoyment.

What made you decide to go for an AV amp given your opinion on movie effects?

alfa74

Dec 6, 2021
Visit site
With an AV amp I can connect the TV audio and listen to it, too.
Someone told me that for a better listening of dialogues I should use a central speaker in addition to the left and right one.
That's the reason I choose an AV amp.
Regarding Apple Spatial audio, I don't think it's Dolby Atmos because it works also in a system with only 2 speakers like headphones.
For what I know about Dolby Atmos you have to use a minimum of 7 speakers to obtain the best result.

shipworm-archaism-recede

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
Makes sense.

FWIW, I do all my TV and music through a conventional stereo amplifier. I don't have any difficulty with dialogue.

It would be interesting to try a modern surround sound system. I'm sure things have moved on massively since I last tried them.

Spatial audio is mostly Dolby Atmos. You can listen to it with 2 speakers or Apple headphones/earphones (they also do head position awareness), but you're right, the effects would be best with full surround sound.

I hope someone can give you some constructive suggestions for the speakers you're after. Good luck!

Tinman1952

Thank you all for the advices.

As I said I'm building my first Hi-Fi system. I bought a Denon AVC-S660H.
I'm looking for 2 front speakers, 1 central and a subwoofer.
At the moment I don't care about rear speakers because I'm not a huge fan of movies effects.
The maximum budget I can spend for those 4 speakers is 1.000 euro.

Looking around I found:

2 x Klipsch Reference R-41M
1 x Klipsch Reference R-52C
1 x Klipsch R-100SW 150 W

Total: 982 euro.
I have not heard these Klipsch personally but this reviewer was not impressed with the R-41M.... they will sound bright!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts