Beresford TC-7510 or Cambridge Audio DacMagic

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

They're both great products. For he who says money isn't an issue, the Cambridge does have the edge and I'd recommend it over the Beresford. As a percentage of cost it's a significant difference, though, and the Beresford is fantastic for the money. It's your choice.

John Duncan

fatboyslimfast:Hmmm, JD where are you based...fancy a cuppa at some point to compare?

Perhaps Clare would let us use her listening room at the 'towers'
emotion-2.gif

Deal. I am available Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I'll bring the biscuits.

To be honest, I shied from buying a Beresford primarily because of its aesthetics, and then the DACMagic popped up for not that much more and I was sold. I expect that the sonic differences will amount to 'nuance' rather than 'night and day', and that just the fact that you're using lossless files will provide the vast majority of improvement over a midrange CD player, but to me the better build (and the blue lights) was worth the extra money.

A

Anonymous

I have now had the pleasure of listening to the DM and I still own my old Beresford MK 3. I couldn't test them together though from what I heard of the DM, it is not that far ahead of the Beresford - though I did feel it was more musical, whereas the Beresford is more scientific.

The great thing about the Beresford is it doubles as a headphone amp (if you aren't using Grados) - but that's about it.

The DM has XLR out, a digital pass through and a USB input (my DM knowledge isn't great but these seem like the standout features to me) which makes it more versatile as long as you aren't using headphones.

If I was to buy one of these DACs now I would go for the DM, happy in the knowledge the extra cash bought the better DAC.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:

I have now had the pleasure of listening to the DM and I still own my old Beresford MK 3. I couldn't test them together though from what I heard of the DM, it is not that far ahead of the Beresford - though I did feel it was more musical, whereas the Beresford is more scientific.

The great thing about the Beresford is it doubles as a headphone amp (if you aren't using Grados) - but that's about it.

The DM has XLR out, a digital pass through and a USB input (my DM knowledge isn't great but these seem like the standout features to me) which makes it more versatile as long as you aren't using headphones.

If I was to buy one of these DACs now I would go for the DM, happy in the knowledge the extra cash bought the better DAC.

I want to dislike the Cambridge on account that i feel the extra money is partly for extra connections, the name, those funny equalizer type buttons (???), and the name.

You're not helping.
emotion-8.gif

John Duncan

al7478:I want to dislike the Cambridge on account that i feel the extra money is partly for extra connections, the name, those funny equalizer type buttons (???), and the name.

It's for the blue lights.

A

Anonymous

al7478:
I want to dislike the Cambridge on account that i feel the extra money is partly for extra connections, the name, those funny equalizer type buttons (???), and the name.

You're not helping.
emotion-8.gif

OK, OK I'll come clean - I did have a geography teacher called Mr. Beresford. He used to make me point out where the colonies lie on a world map. Boy did my ass hurt.

T

the record spot

Octopo:

Boy did my ass hurt.

Oh, it was one of those schools...!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts